Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: best collapsible pole for splitboarding?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:11 pm 

looking for recommendations on the best collapsible pole, something small that won't extend over my head when strapped to the pack.

thx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:34 pm 

I found the BD expeditions poles to collapse to the shortest length.

Tad bit heavier than Voile or Lifelink.

Good pole, but can bend and break, can ice up, and don't smack your skis with the aluminum pole because it may just sheer off. Use the handle to knock off snow or ice.

I'll sell you a new pair if you want 'em.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:50 pm 

I second the BD expedition. Pretty cheap if you can get them on pro-form ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:48 pm 

I'm using a pole from Black Diamonds new line of trekking poles for spring '06. They have both 3-season and 4-season versions. The 4-season models (2 styles) have duel Flick-Locs. The 3-season versions have the push-button adjustment on the bottom section (prone to freezing). What's cool about the 4-season version is they are lighter than the Expeditions, have an extended foam grip on the shaft, a straight hand-grip (good for climbing), and pack down to 25" (64.5cm) and extend out to 55" (140cm). They also have a replaceable carbide tip that will flex to resist braking - Expeditions do not have this feature. The one plus with the Expeditions is that they offer 2 size options... the smaller one packs down to 23", but only extends to 120cm, I'm 6 feet tall and generally tour with my poles at 130+cm (especially in powder).
For Splitboarding your using you poles for touring, rarely skiing... you don't really benifit from the design of the Expeditions (ski specific grip, no grip extention, non-replaceable tips) for this application.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:09 pm 

buy powderjunkie's Black Diamond's. The flick lock devices to extend and shorten them are so superior to all the others out there, I would only buy BD poles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:20 pm 

you can get a self arrest "whippet" for black diamond poles

Good reason to go with bd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:18 am 

BaldySurfer wrote:
you can get a self arrest "whippet" for black diamond poles

Good reason to go with bd

No arguement about purchasing BD poles, however the whippet is no longer available as an accessory and is now sold as a complete 2 section pole. http://www.bdel.com/gear/fl_whippet.php
It may be possible to buy it and attach the whippet section to a BD 3 section pole, but I'm not sure its the same lenth as the stock upper shaft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:32 am 

Dumb ass me... I should of read the review about this pole on the link I provided. BD made the upper shaft on this years Whippet shorter in length for both 2 and 3 section poles (18inches). However, it is sold as a complete 2 section pole.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:27 am 

I'm sold on flick lock BD poles after a set of dakines that froze up last winter. they're a bit heavier but it's not that much. I swapped the basket on mine those, it had a half basket. also they're super short when collapsed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:00 am 

Another vote for the Black Diamond Flick Lock poles. :)

They are by far the best I've ever used. My poles get absolutely thrashed over a season or two and the BD poles are the only ones than can hang tough. It's real easy to trim the shafts down too if you don't need the stock length.

They come with the ¾ baskets too which also work very well. On steep, icy climbs you spin the small part of the basket uphill and the little teeth and non-flexly design really grab the snow.

Re the Whippet accessory. These things rock too. They are spendy (especially when you cant just buy the upper section) but they are totally worth it for extra safety. Having an extra lower section isn't that bad either. Again, you can cut it down the right length.

Whatever you do Tap…don't settle for two section poles. That is a huge pet peeve of mine seeing boarders with these huge poles sticking off their pack like an antenna. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:02 pm 

Well I guess I will be the lone dissenter in this in that I like my 2 pc (sorry bcr :oops: ) life link approach poles (not sure if they make that model anymore). Anyway, they are a little shorter than most poles, which is good since they are only used for hike up. They have a nice grippy patch on the lower section to make the adjusting easier with gloves on. The upper section is ovalized which keeps the expander wedge from slipping when things get icy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:58 pm 

BD Expedition: I have found that it is best to take them apart and dry them really well after use. Otherwise, the poles tend to get oxided really fast and then tend to get stuck.
Amazing how clean they shear off if you attempt to get rid of the sticky snow on your skins by slamming the split :(
Otherwise, Flicklock rocks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:11 am 

fassnor wrote:
BD Expedition: I have found that it is best to take them apart and dry them really well after use. Otherwise, the poles tend to get oxided really fast and then tend to get stuck.

I had the same thing happen after my first trip with the Expeditions. The next time I got them out one was all sticky and covered with weird spots like it had some kind of disease. Now I always take them completely apart after trips.

Yoda wrote:
Dumb ass me... I should of read the review about this pole on the link I provided. BD made the upper shaft on this years Whippet shorter in length for both 2 and 3 section poles (18inches). However, it is sold as a complete 2 section pole.

I'm confused. On their site they only list the Whippet as a complete 2-section pole, but what you're saying kinda makes it sound like they have a 3-section version available. Or are you just saying that the shaft in the 2-section pole is short enough that it works with 3-section poles as well? Lame that they don't offer it as a separate accesory anymore. Though IIRC the price for the full pole is the same (or close) as it used to be for just the Whippet upper section.