Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pants...for the BC. Suggestions.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:41 am 

So im tired of carting my heavy Burton AK pants into the BC where i end up tearing them up with crampons or getting soaking wet...blah blah blah...

So im wondering what everyone is rocking. What do ya like?

Im thinking Light, Gore-Tex XCR, waterproof zippers, suspenders, GoGo Gadget Springs....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:23 am 

i use a pair of Sierra Designs full-bibs, not even Gore Tex, but breathable, and have a huge side-zip pocket on the chest part of the bib that i use constantly.

there are more expensive pants out there, but i don't see the point, these are working fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:03 am 

I got myself a cheap pair of Planet Earth domain pants. It sounds like you are looking for something more "tech" than these but I thought I'd offer the suggestion. They were right around $100 but you can also found last years pants on ebay for $50. They are rated at 10,0000 for waterproof and so far they've kept me just as dry as my AK pants. They are light and simple. I've been using these as my dedicated BC pants because I don't get as hot in them as I do in my AK pants and they have been working out really well.

Post subject: Good timeing...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:03 am 

My last pair of "high output" pants, read, the ones that actually vent when hiking, etc, just bit the dust thanks to a minor altercation with a tree.

One thing I've noticed is with a lot of newer pants they have zippered vents on the inside of the thighs, rather than the outside. Doesn't seem as split friendly to me. Anyone have any input here?

Anyway, I'm looking around for some new ones.... I'll let you guys know what I turn up for cheap, or at least on sale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:20 pm 

Happy with my Arc'teryx Minuteman pants, pricey, but if you can find a deal they're well worth it. they also make a bib version thats real nice (wish I had them every powder day). Had a Pair of XCR pants from MEC that were fairly cheap that are still waterproof but have too many holes to wear anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:56 pm 

you might want to check backcountry.com, they have a pretty big sale going on now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:57 pm 

Hey affix snow
I'm rocking the new Stingray pant from Arcteryx. It's Gore Softshell fabric that's pretty light, with a brushed lining (Gore calls it flannel lined instead of a tricot 3-ply lining) for added warmth. It also has a little stretch due to the softshell properties. It is adorned with full water tight zips, adjustable waist, and the best part for crampon resistance is Schoeller Kevlar infused fabric panels at the inside ankles. They are one of the few pants that you can get in long lengths and they have a clean classic Arcteryx look with a touch of Burton on the styling.
http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?prod=3767
I actually work for Mammut, but we currently don't offer (in the USA) any pants that would work well for snowsports. Next year Mammut will have some awesome new snow-sport specific pants with attention to BC applications and with some Burton flavor in the styling as well. Maybe you can hold out.
I'm curious how your AK (Gore-tex) pants are getting soaking wet - are they wetting-out on the outside or soaking through? It could be possible that the DWR is worn off and the face fabric is wetting-out and then when you sweat the Gore can't breathe because of the wetting-out effect, therefore causing it to become wet on the inside, giving it the feel as though its soaking through. Or is you Gore broken?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:05 pm 

I have an old (10+ years) pair of Burton Universe pants that has been been repaired multiple times, and I will keep using them until they fall apart. I haven't been able to find anything that has quite the same combination of features that I like:

- Full side zips, with no velcro flaps covering it. They are also easy to open with one hand (no tugging at those super-tight waterproof ones, these things are for snow). This means it's very easy to regulate venting while skinning without having to stop.

- Slightly insulated. I wear either a single lightweight or midweight capilene layer underneath and I'm good to go in just about any conditions, unless it starts getting into the single digits or lower. This even works OK with lightweight capilene on hot spring days because I can open the side zips all the way, and still have the lightweight layer underneath and not have to worry about sunburnt legs.

- They have these little removable kneepads, like 1/4" thick foam. Just enough to be really useful but not obtrusive. Aside from just being nice when you're taking a break on the board, these are useful around camp.

I like these pants so much I have considered trying to find someone who can make a custom pair that's exactly the same. If anyone knows of another make that matches this description please let me know. The closest thing I've found was a model by Marmot, I think it was called Jackson? I don't think they make it anymore though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:25 am 

refried wrote:
Happy with my Arc'teryx Minuteman pants, pricey, but if you can find a deal they're well worth it. they also make a bib version thats real nice (wish I had them every powder day). Had a Pair of XCR pants from MEC that were fairly cheap that are still waterproof but have too many holes to wear anymore.

I second that. I've got a pair of Minuteman Bibs, and i've been incredibly happy with them, both in and out of bounds. Great fit, super tech, waterproof zippers, Gore-tec XCR, vents from knee to hip on the outside, built in gaiter... definitely my pant of choice. Also, it comes in in short, reg., and tall sizes, which is great since i'm 6'4" and most "one length fits all" pants are too short...

Yoda - what do you do for Mammut? I've worked at Climb High/Mammut USA (retail) for a number of years here in Vermont. I would be interested in seeing what our Swiss friends have in store for next year, I haven't had the chance to check any future releases out yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:24 am 

Thanx all! Great suggestions! So it looks like te Arc'Teryex has the most votes....ill have to look into them a lil' more!

Yoda, My AK's are just wetting on the outsde....i should have ben more specific. But its annoying cause it freezes and might add some weight...blah blah blah.....

Basically they are not as well suited to the BC as id like. They are too baggy, heavy, and ive torn up the insides of the cuffs due to crampons....

Has anyone tried the Cloudveil Koven's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:30 am 

Quote:
I have an old (10+ years) pair of Burton Universe pants that has been been repaired multiple times, and I will keep using them until they fall apart. I haven't been able to find anything that has quite the same combination of features that I like:

I was rockin the same pants until this season. Those pants were so bomber. I still use em every once in a while, as they are still going strong. My only complaint was that they could be too hot, especially in the spring, even with just boxers on underneath, but man, what a killer pant. Now I'm using some patagonia XCR gore jobbies that I got a great deal on at the Dillon, Mt. outlet. I don't think they would be worth pating full price for. My advice for pants is something lightweight, with good ventilation (full two way side zips), and very waterproof. I prefer uninsulated shells, and regulating temp with base layers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:39 am 

Hey breschneid
I,m the northern CA & NV sales rep for Mammut.
Mammut has a couple of new pants coming out in their Snow line with 2 different fabric options. The new Alaska pant will have Gore Softshell fabric throughout. The new Atlas pant is a hybrid pant using lightweight 3-ply Drytech waterproof/breathable fabric with some panels of Schoeller WB-400 softshell fabric in key areas to maximize breathability and mobility. They both are simularly cut (not to baggy) with a low profile cargo pocket on the leg and some Burton flavor in the styling along with all the tech features and construction. The pants will be available in regular and long lengths and 3 color options. I can't wait till Fall, the Alaska pant is what I have my eye on, however the more I think about the construction on the Atlas pant, I'm thinking it may be a better pant for splitboarding because of the breathable (where you need it) hybrid design. Maybe I'll get both! Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:38 pm 

Hey affix, Nothing breathes like a wide open full side zip pant. The three-layer fabrics are usually lighter and more durable on the inside surface. Bibs are no bueno- at least too hot in my opinion (Utah) I like suspenders, But there are some who don't. I've never liked the softshell idea in pants, because when the weather threatens to genuinely wet you feel better, and if you can unzip below your knee, breathability is max.
You could just hose down the pants you have with scotch guard, but if they don't have side vents maybe it is time to spend. I kinda like the velcro on the zippers b/c you can close up with velcro when the wind gusts a bit and then open easily on stormy days, and I commonly forget to zip up the sides sometimes on descent.