Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I rode hard boots today...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:34 pm 

:shock:

more to come later. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:47 pm 

did you ride switch at all? is it possible?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:20 pm 

That's funny...last week was the first time out on a split with the softboots...and I loved it. I'm thinking I'll keep the hardboots for target practice :mrgreen: ...kidding. I'm sure I'll still use the hardboots, but I love that surfy feeling. Now, I just need some good bindings, because the ones I used last week WILL be used for target practice. Look forward to hearing about your experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:42 pm 

:x bcrider, why you gotta leave us hangin' like that?! i'm really curious about hardboots, i've been waiting for that 'under construction' to disappear from the article in split 101 about hard v soft boots since i found this wonderful site!

anyway, can't wait to hear what you thought about them =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:06 pm 

Yeah, BCR. I'll need new boots soon, and I'm thinking about AT's. What the scoop?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:19 pm 

Dont be a Dick BCR.....spill it! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:14 am 

Well it looks like I have to try the darkside now. I got a pair of the mtn plates from scrubfest(thanks voile and DJ) and I have the boots set aside at work. BH wasn't looking too bad rocking the hard boot steeze this last weekend either :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:17 pm 

I went to hard boots 3 weeks ago, and I dont think that I will go back!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:51 pm 

WELCOME TO THE DARK SIDE, WE HAVE COOKIES!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:35 pm 

Ok, sorry for the delay guys.

Here are a few random thoughts (in no particular order) from my day on hard boots.

Overall I was impressed that it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (coming from a softboot background). It was still snowboarding and I still had fun. :) However due to my specific needs, style, desires, location, etc…I don't think I will make the cold-turkey switch 100% anytime soon. Will I keep them in my quiver and fine tune the fit and performance, absolutely.

I used the Lowa Struktura EVO boot with Bomber splitboard bindings. It was recommended that I go to the ski resort for my first day on hardboots and since that doesn't happen too often I knew it was my golden opportunity to do so on a recent family ski trip.

I ran the top buckle on the cuff very loose and found this made the feel of the boots to be more similar to softboots than when I had it cranked down. I also found that technique plays a bigger factor than the gear itself. When I tried, I was still able tuck my back leg in a little and make nice turns. I did find that my overall style was changed a tad though. It seemed like the natural instinct is to carve the board more on this setup (obvious). Coming from a surfing background this is something I already do but with the hard boots I could really carve like a mad man on the groomers. It was a good time.

While carving is fun I also like to catch air and jib around a bit. I played around riding switch and found that it is possible…just not as natural. I used my same angles and width as my softboots and didn't use cants. To get the set up to work for me I had to really concentrate on bending my knees and being in a forward lean position. Getting in and out of the bindings was easy. I didn't find the boots to be particularly comfortable though. Even with my custom liners my feet hurt for most of the day. The problem is where the buckles are on these boots. They don't go over the ankle and they don't go over the toes…they're in the middle. This killed my arch. They also didn't seem very comfortable for regular walking. Again, I'm sure a different model or custom boot work would help. Ski boots don't seem like they have as much out of the box success as softboots.

I was stoked to try some hard boots out and its reassuring to know that the option is there if I really need to use a plastic boot (high altitude, steep ice, long distance, or if I just want to mix it up). I do think that the hardboot setup makes the most since with a Dynafit compatible boot so you can do the Dynafit touring bracket mod. It's pricy but it seems well worth it if you are going this route.

I look forward to trying them more (and I have my eyes out for a Dynafit compatible boot) but I won't be giving up my SL8s/C60s and Clicker HB/T1s anytime soon. They work fine for me in my region and don't require a radical style change.

Hope that helps a little. YMMV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:56 pm 

Obie 1: "Young jedi. Do not stray to the dark side."

Yoda: "You're jedi training has failed you, young bcrider. This I know, for you have been in the land of groomers and gapers. Further, you have given up the jedi's weapon, and chosen a plastic replacement...........perhaps, for the empty love of cookies?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:53 am 

jeez, BCR, all hell has broken loose since the last time I was here. but thanks for the report-I've been wondering what a fellow clicker critter would think about hardies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:31 am 

Pretty much reinforces what I've learned... if you want to do hard boots, you need to go "whole-hog"... high angles, new technique, etc...

Zach

Bcr, don't know if you heard, but Jef has come over to the dark side and swears he'll never go back :twisted: