Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BC in the California south bay area?!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:07 am 

The weather report for Santa Cruz is approximating a snow level of about 2000 feet for this weekend. There's a range of mountains that I see in the distance as I'm cresting HW17 near Los Gatos that typically gets snow-capped a few times each winter -- I think they run along 680. I've always wanted to check them out -- has anybody ever earned some turns on these mountains? Any pointers on where to go? Otherwise, I'll just do some topo-grokking and see what peaks look promising in case we get a snow event.

So much for the two weeks of sunny, crystal clear 75 degree weather.

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:25 pm 

Mission Peak is the prominent peak adjacent to Fremont area (S. of 680.) It's an open space, so I suspect you could go walking around up there. Mt. Hamilton (just south of there) is one of the higher points and often gets snow during these little events. They usually close the road going up to prevent yahoos from hurting themselves driving up there.

When this happened a few years ago, the Mercury had a shot of a guy making turns on Mt. Tam up in Marin. Super thin snow, but he was doing it.

Best of luck and bring your rock board!

JC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:32 pm 

A few years back we got a freak snowstorm. I was living in Boulder Creek at the time, way up by Big Basin and we got a good few inches. Not really enough to ski on though. Get the rock board out... or better yet, one of those dirt boards so you can keep going once you get to the dry part!

Also:
http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewt ... 287#237287

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:53 pm 

I've seen Mt Hamilton get enough snow to ride on. Back in the late 80's there was a pic of someone snowboarding there in the San Jose Mercury. Usually if it snows at Hamilton there is usually enough to make some turns at the top of 9 and skyline. Bring your rock board either way.

Post subject: Was thinking that myself...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:17 am 

Unfortunately it looks like there will be a bit less to the weather coming through than initially thought.... Still, some places like Windy Hill off Skyline are just grass covered and wouldn't take much to become ripable.. :)

Reminds me of the first, last, and only "mixed" climb I did back in college at Goat Rock off Skyline... Was intersting scraping snow off handholds, dealing with iced up cracks, etc...

Post subject: Re: Was thinking that myself...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:28 am 

NoKnees wrote:
Unfortunately it looks like there will be a bit less to the weather coming through than initially thought.... Still, some places like Windy Hill off Skyline are just grass covered and wouldn't take much to become ripable.. :)

Thanks for all the tips, guys. Doesn't seem like there's much snow. It's looking like Sunday morning is the timeslot to capitalize on maximum snowfall potential. Maybe I'll throw my rockboard in my truck and see what I can find. Please keep up posted if anybody hears of promising snowfall sweetspots in the interm ("Oh my god, it dumped 2 feet at the Bonny Doon airport!" or somesuch).

Unfortunately, Windy Hill, Mission Peak, Tam, 9/35 are all pretty far apart so I'll probably just pick one and go with it if Sunday does turn out promising.

Later,
-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:20 pm 

ChrisI just emailed some pics of Mt. Hamilton with lots of snow. A buddy of mine was also just driving by Mission and said it had snow. Go for it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:34 pm 

:twisted:

More snow on the way, too!

These are looking south towards Mt Hamilton.

-C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:49 pm 

jimw wrote:
ChrisI just emailed some pics of Mt. Hamilton with lots of snow. A buddy of mine was also just driving by Mission and said it had snow. Go for it!

Ooh, right on. Yeah, that's the best bet for snow it seems. I'll try to hit it tomorrow or Sunday, depending on weather. Or maybe both days? :)

Has anybody ever been up there? I don't know what to expect ... can I just drive up as far as they let me, pop on the snowshoes and find a peak? Or will armed guards protecting the telescope shoot to kill? Not sure if it's public land, etc. Should be interesting either way!

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:42 am 

You might want to head for Mission Peak if it has enough snow. Generally on Hamilton I think they close the road down pretty low. I don't think they will let you pass on foot even. Not totally sure - just going off memory of friends who tried to get up and "play in the snow" is the past.

Good luck and post some pics!

JC[/quote]