Are you down?
Poll ended at Sat May 31, 2014 9:30 am
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Dude, I'm kayaking full time now. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0
 Post subject: GYE Splitfest 2014
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:30 am 

So, in light of a banner year, and recent storms, I think it's only wise to meet up and shred our bases off on this bountiful snowpack. The main logistics are dates and location. Personally, I'm a (split?)bum that works an average of two days (sat and sun) a week and i'm on my board the other five. Others are different. We all live in or around Montana though, so lets hear some input..

It would be nice to be near wilderness/national forest. And ideally, I know there are some of us with sleds, but that's more of an optional bonus than anything. Post when you are available in May.. think: two day trip with one or more nites camping.

My thoughts:
-Bridger Bowl- Not my first choice, but advantageous with parking, access, ntnl forest land, etc.
-Battle Ridge (cabin or campground)
-Hyalite (road opens May 15 i think)
-Livingston/P. Valley area: Pine crk, Mill crk, Trail crk.. many of these have FS cabins, too.)
-Garnet Mtn lookout in Gallatin Canyon

Post subject: Re: GYE Splitfest 2014
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:07 am 

anyone.. anyone? Bueller.. Bueller..

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:58 am 

there's something wrong with the poll; I tried to submit vote but it wouldn't let me. Anyway, I think for those who might be interested, we should just decide on a place and time, and whoever show up show up. I'd like to explore more livingston absoroka, so my vote is p valley. But I'm fine with other locations too (except Garnet, the skin up is a bitch; full of icy post holes from hikers going up to the cabin, or trying to).

Another idea to put on the list is the beartooth hwy when it opens, although who knows when it'll happen this year (July?).

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:17 pm 

yea, screw garnet.. as well as the poll haha. ill look on recreation.gov but i think either battle ridge or p valley is our best bet.. and yeah im stoked for the pass opening. may be a long wait this season..

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:51 pm 

i'm in! a great year for it.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:25 am 

Beartooth Pass could be a fun idea. Lots of options (BT Pass, Glacier/Emerald Lake zones make for excellent day tours w/ great lines, Whitetail/Castle/etc... would be fun for people wanting to go bigger). Plus, free camping in Rock Creek. They're shooting for a Memorial Day weekend opening. If you haven't, you guys should like "Beartooth Highway" on Facebook. Good resource for current road conditions, opening/closing dates, etc...

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:10 pm 

So that's weekend of 5/23. Timing wise it's not bad at all. 3 weeks to get our shit together.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:52 pm 

ive got work the 23rd, but anyways.. it seems like a near glacial year for some of montana. could do this in july if we wanted to..

sounds like beartooths it is. we'll just keep an eye on the plowing there and if it opens right on schedule, great! havent been snotelling recently, but im sure cooke is at or around the 90-100 inch mark. as it has been all winter.. edit- yep fisher crk at 118 on the hourly today. damn! 10 ft and its not even winter anymore!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:09 am 

I'll be in Rock Cr. campground Fri-Mon. Look for white Wildcat 5th wheel & plainjane white Chev pickup - 8 plates. PBR's in the fridge & its a great place for safety meetings.

I may be more kite focussed but if there's no wind on top we'll be skin-jobbing something.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:31 am 

lewmt, I've been fighting this nasty cold from 3 weeks now, but I'm gonna try to rally couple skier friends and make the pilgrimage. If I make it down there, I'll be sure to look for your camp and anybody else who might decide to join the party this weekend.