Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: What pack do you use?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:31 pm 

lengthwise wrote:
I just scored a new old stock Glide 35 for $100 delivered off ebay, psyched, my buddy loves his

SCORE! Recommendation, don't overstuff the lid...the zipper is the only weak point of the pack. Otherwise, far and away my favorite pack in the arsenal.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:10 am 

@tomas_y_mas wrote:
Anyone invest in the new Mammut Pro R.A.S. Ready?

http://www.mammut.ch/en/productDetail/2 ... ready.html

Hi, my first post here but i've been a "silent reader" for the past few months...

I own the RAS 22 and used it for about 20 days, it's quite small but if you carry only what you need it works fine including Mr. Chomps cranpons inside the pack. But no way to carry also e.g. regular crampons inside. So i was interested in the RAS Pro 35 and hoped for an answer here :wink:
Yesterday i finally had the chance to take a look on a friend's Pro 35 in the field. It looks very well fabricated (like the RAS 22), you have really much space inside and also big shovels fit without problems (voile). A very nice feature is that the main pocket is accessible from the back via a zip. I didn't try to carry my split with the pack, but i seems to be possible without any issues (on the side, diagonal or vertical as snowboard). I definitly look forward to bye this pack next season. I once had the chance to take a look on the Pro 45 in a local store, but now in comarison to the 35 it would be only useful for touring a few days in a row. But with a bit organization this will be also possible with the 35...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:19 pm 

SchralphMacchio wrote:

Funny, I have both. They are far and away better than the Osprey daypacks I have used/tried out.

I love the durability of the Deuter and pocket arrangement, but with a BD Deploy shovel and Canon 7D, the pack becomes too small for any of my bigger tours. It's a great pack but it feels like a 26L with the pocket layout when using that Deploy shovel. The Deuter suspension is fantastic - I use it at the gym and put 40 lbs of weight in the back for Stairmaster training and it carries like a champ! Basically, a fantastic pack that I love ... just too small.

I have been using the Deuter Pro 30 this season and really like it, but for some reason it just doesn't seem to be a true 30 in terms of capacity. I agree it feels more like a 26 or 25.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:10 am 

Is anyone using the Deuter Guide 35+? I'm wondering if the ski carry loops (A-frame) will fit a splitboard half. They look a bit narrow.

I've been looking for a larger pack for longer tours and I found this one for a decent price. I own another Deuter pack and I love it, I'm only concerned if I'll be able to carry my split if I need to.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:20 am 

I've been using a Cilo 45L Worksack for a few seasons now and I have mixed feelings about it. I just picked up a new Jones 30L pack and have been playing with it in the living room. It's going to force me to adjust my packing and be more efficient but I think I'll benefit from that in the long run. I'll post a review of the Jones pack after I get some snow time with it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:13 pm 

pablo wrote:
Is anyone using the Deuter Guide 35+? I'm wondering if the ski carry loops (A-frame) will fit a splitboard half. They look a bit narrow.

I've been looking for a larger pack for longer tours and I found this one for a decent price. I own another Deuter pack and I love it, I'm only concerned if I'll be able to carry my split if I need to.

I have an older style Guide 45+ that can carry a split both A-frame and vertical. Not sure about the current design. You could always just use the side compression straps and then add a ski-strap around your board to attach to the ski loops.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:26 pm 

Thanks, 96avs01!

I ordered the pack, hope I'll make it work for what I need :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:55 pm 

Jason4 wrote:
I've been using a Cilo 45L Worksack for a few seasons now and I have mixed feelings about it. I just picked up a new Jones 30L pack and have been playing with it in the living room. It's going to force me to adjust my packing and be more efficient but I think I'll benefit from that in the long run. I'll post a review of the Jones pack after I get some snow time with it.

Sick alpine overnight climbing pack but I wouldn't use my Cilo for backcountry boarding. Lots of great snow-specific details on these other packs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:30 am 

I just got the TNF patrol 34 and while I usually hate the north face I have to say this is the best pack I have used for splitboarding yet. carries super well, very comfortable, crampon/skin pocket. rad.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:39 am 

splitchef wrote:
Black Diamond Outlaw Avalung pack.
Fits great from the first time I rode with it. Can be hold plenty for a big day or sinched down when not full, love the back panel access.
But thinking I will step up to an avalanche pack this year.

Ditto. Love my Outlaw Avalung!

Excuse me while I powder my face.

Jones Hovercraft Split 156
Never Summer Raptor Solid 159
GNU Riders Choice BTX 154.5 Solid
Burton Fritz The Cat Private Stock 154 Solid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:43 am 

breadbox wrote:
Sick alpine overnight climbing pack but I wouldn't use my Cilo for backcountry boarding. Lots of great snow-specific details on these other packs.

That's mostly how I feel about it too. It carries a split great as long as it's full but 45l is too much for a day trip. I can fit enough into it for an overnighter, even with avy gear and glacier gear, to be comfortable, it just doesn't have the easy-access features to make it a good split pack. I don't want to undo two buckles and two sphincters to grab an extra layer out of the inside when a single zipper works on most other packs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:13 am 

Colostomy bag

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:27 pm 

I have been using an old BD Convert 32 modiified

Shovel handle on side an extra axe loops

Going to a Osprey Variant 37 this season for the extra space for multiday trips

+61 (0)413 888 115
http://www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au http://www.splitfest.com.au http://www.splitfests.com http://www.mrbc.com http://www.backcountryglobal.com
Sydney - Nowra - Jindabyne

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next