Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Any companies that do fully custom boards?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:10 am 

Taylor wrote:
Bob how customizable are your profiles? And can't you do one base segment per ski to accommodate a 34 cm shovel (which I have and love).

I can build anything but without building a complete new top and bottom mould rocker, camber or crc is what I can do. I use a very gradual rocker nose mould and a more conventional tail mould (similar to most mass produced powder boards nose profile).

And yes you could do the base without joins by using a double length of base material. Brain meltdown here lol.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:21 pm 

Please keep me abreast of this design, guys. I may want in.

Also, I am intrigued at the idea of a coop to enable design advancement; could one be made from builders and buyers on this forum?

I'd be in.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:18 am 

Bob Gnarly,

I've had success at taking a 2 meter length of base material, cutting out the base for one half of a split (lining up the straight outer edge of base material near the straight side of the pattern for the inside edge of the split half, then spin the remaining base material 180 and router out the other half of the split to get 34 cm or more width than the standard base material comes in. If your taper is sufficient it allows you to not have to use twice the base material for wide nose boards. But I guess it might not be that big of a deal since you can get base material now without big minimum orders.

Alias-there's nothing wrong with that press for custom work, no need to go overboard for a few boards a year or a board each season. In fact if it deflects evenly on each half (above and below) which it looks like it more or less would, it should produce good results as long as you base is flat edge to edge or close enough to be flattened by its base grind.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:48 am 

Scooby2 wrote:
Bob Gnarly,
Alias-there's nothing wrong with that press for custom work, no need to go overboard for a few boards a year or a board each season. In fact if it deflects evenly on each half (above and below) which it looks like it more or less would, it should produce good results as long as you base is flat edge to edge or close enough to be flattened by its base grind.

Base flatness was a a big problem no matter how much grinding you did. Personality clashes mixed with the ever present timeline and budget constraints pushed a very poor design and execution of the mold cavity. The deflection was inconsistent causing many varied high a low spots.

We also had low mold pressure where any small(ish) radii profile bends occurred. This was because of the way we designed our molds for our press cavity and the way the pneumatic bladder (fire hose) engaged the molds.

The people currently running the company claimed they fixed many of these issues but I was pretty uninvolved at that point.

The thing that is good for me now is that I back home and have access to the proper tools and materials to make a very good press relatively inexpensively.

I'm excited for a fresh start on my own terms!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:38 pm 

Scooby2 wrote:
Bob Gnarly,

I've had success at taking a 2 meter length of base material, cutting out the base for one half of a split (lining up the straight outer edge of base material near the straight side of the pattern for the inside edge of the split half, then spin the remaining base material 180 and router out the other half of the split to get 34 cm or more width than the standard base material comes in. If your taper is sufficient it allows you to not have to use twice the base material for wide nose boards. But I guess it might not be that big of a deal since you can get base material now without big minimum orders.

Yeah i think it will take about 1.5 times the length of the board in base material to cut this shape. Its behemoth wide lol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:31 pm 

aliasptr wrote:
Scooby2 wrote:
Bob Gnarly,

Base flatness was a a big problem no matter how much grinding you did. Personality clashes mixed with the ever present timeline and budget constraints pushed a very poor design and execution of the mold cavity. The deflection was inconsistent causing many varied high a low spots.

We also had low mold pressure where any small(ish) radii profile bends occurred. This was because of the way we designed our molds for our press cavity and the way the pneumatic bladder (fire hose) engaged the molds.

The people currently running the company claimed they fixed many of these issues but I was pretty uninvolved at that point.

The thing that is good for me now is that I back home and have access to the proper tools and materials to make a very good press relatively inexpensively.

I have learned in my 2 and a bit years of board building that you always have to be willing to scrap it all to make improvements.
Once you work out how to fix a certain problem you cant get in the mindset of "Ive put too much time and money into this to throw it all away". That just results in more heart break as you continue to make the same mistakes.

My results are very good now, but it wasnt always the way and Ive got a lot of scrapped moulds and wall art boards lol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:35 pm 

BobGnarly wrote:
aliasptr wrote:
Scooby2 wrote:
Bob Gnarly,

I have learned in my 2 and a bit years of board building that you always have to be willing to scrap it all to make improvements.
Once you work out how to fix a certain problem you cant get in the mindset of "Ive put too much time and money into this to throw it all away". That just results in more heart break as you continue to make the same mistakes.

My results are very good now, but it wasnt always the way and Ive got a lot of scrapped moulds and wall art boards lol, Ive also built some of the best boards I have ever ridden. The rewards are definately there if you try hard enough

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:00 am 

BobGnarly wrote:

My results are very good now, but it wasnt always the way and Ive got a lot of scrapped moulds and wall art boards lol

That's great to hear man! I absolutely agree with you about willing to start over with the knowledge you have gained. Unfortunately in business and life you are under real pressures to be "realistic" and "practical". Often that's a winning strategy to get you through rough periods but in my experience it is not a good long term strategy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:29 am 

yeah Bob, that's what exactly what I have had to do. I start with the wide end of a split ski where the base material starts, I cut that out with an extra 1/8th or so. Then I flip the template and place the other pattern only as far down as I have to until the tail section nests into the sidecut area of the one cut out before.

ALias, - what you mean is that you were a pioneer in the spoon shaping and concaves for extra drive. My first board was a bit wavy (all good) until the last foot and then it got real wiggly, it still rips on a good day in Utah though!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:33 am 

Scooby2 wrote:
ALias, - what you mean is that you were a pioneer in the spoon shaping and concaves for extra drive. My first board was a bit wavy (all good) until the last foot and then it got real wiggly, it still rips on a good day in Utah though!

Hahaha yep- let's go with that!

Do you work in marketing? :disco:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:56 am 

Cool thread, can't wait to see some of the results!

Quote:
I absolutely agree with you about willing to start over with the knowledge you have gained.

Reminds me of one of my favourite phrases:

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."

That comes back to me again and again! And again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:31 pm 

Here is a quick sketch of the shape. Second edition ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:31 pm 

BobGnarly wrote:
Here is a quick sketch of the shape. Second edition ;-)

That looks really fun! Do we get to know the specs on it?