Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any companies that do fully custom boards?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:04 pm 

At a reasonable cost...

In other words, if I could build/buy my own press and acquire the minimum tools for three or four times the cost of a custom board, its not reasonable IMO.

And by custom I mean no one makes anything quite like it...

Post subject: Re: Any companies that do fully custom boards?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:17 pm 

I can build anything you want if you are interested.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:32 pm 

What do you consider reasonable? The guys from Wagner custom will do anything you want, but if you want, for example, a custom rocker/camber profile, it is going to cost a lot.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:11 pm 

BobGnarly wrote:
I can build anything you want if you are interested.

Yes he will :thumpsup: :thumpsup: :thumpsup:

+61 (0)413 888 115
http://www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au http://www.splitfest.com.au http://www.splitfests.com http://www.mrbc.com http://www.backcountryglobal.com
Sydney - Nowra - Jindabyne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:29 pm 

Talk to me about what you want. It might be easy or it might be a lot of work depending on what you want.
Shoot me a pm with facebook details if you have it, its easier to chat there

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:43 am 

Thanks Bob! I'll PM you this W/E with details, FB info, etc...
In a nutshell, if your blunt nosed and swallowtail boards merged with Adam's large radii board it would be fairly close to my design.
The specs are an amalgamation of a Winterstick Swallow, Voile V-Tail and Gentem Mantaray.

Barrows, my idea of reasonable is...
Quote:
if I could build/buy my own press and acquire the minimum tools for three or four times the cost of a custom board, its not reasonable IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:12 am 

Snurfer: got it, if you are handy and willing to do a lot of work, building a press can probably get done for $500 or so.
Of course if you want to be able to profile your own cores, and try lots of different flexes, you really need a CNC core profiler, I do not know what that costs, but it must be kind of spendy!
I wonder if a board building coop is the way to go: get together with 20 people and share costs, then build all the unique boards one would want (skis as well).

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:26 am 

Barrows good points. I fully agree, a coop would be fantastic.
I've attempted to build rapport with a few builders to eventually float the idea, but most are so busy they can't even pause to have a conversation, much less build any sort of rapport with a kook like me.
As far as cores are concerned, I'd love to experiment; not so much from a performance/tech standpoint, but rather from a soul/eco point of view (think of the Taro segment in signatures). That said, I'm not hell bent on a particular core material for this project. Same goes for profiles, I'm reasonably content with run of the mill camber that allows me to deform the profile in a way I'm accustom too.

Where I'm really wanting to deviate from whats 'safe' is end shapes, nose height, radii and widths. And like many long-ish board enthusiasts I could care less about riding switch.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:25 pm 

snufer wrote:
At a reasonable cost...

In other words, if I could build/buy my own press and acquire the minimum tools for three or four times the cost of a custom board, its not reasonable IMO.

And by custom I mean no one makes anything quite like it...

Oz snowboards might do full customs but I'm not sure.

barrows wrote:
Snurfer: got it, if you are handy and willing to do a lot of work, building a press can probably get done for $500 or so.
Of course if you want to be able to profile your own cores, and try lots of different flexes, you really need a CNC core profiler, I do not know what that costs, but it must be kind of spendy!
I wonder if a board building coop is the way to go: get together with 20 people and share costs, then build all the unique boards one would want (skis as well).

I would love to be part of this!

I am slowly building my own press and tooling as a hobby since I already tried to make a business out of it with some people but it didn't work out for me. Lucky for me though I spent other people's money to learn the process for building and designing skis and boards.

Since this was intended for a production press the electrical was expensive and very well appointed.

The heat blankets were beasts! As the press was made to accommodate up to 220 cm long and fat skis. I also wanted to be sure I could try to make a Rad Air Tanker 200 style board. The blankets are 220 V at 20 A each so about 9 kW of heating power!

Not many ski press and sublimation (for topsheet graphics) construction pictures, nor many wood working photos.

Gotta do some serious computer work to get all the shape templates, molds and woodworking stuff sorted out. Making sure the core construction works for the shape.

Core made of poplar and ash stringers with locust sidewalls complete with insert counterbores

Plastic tip and tail material attached, this was something that always proved tricky and I never got to refine the process of.

We had Crown Plastics Durasurf 4001 Sintered base but this is extruded 2001 base. Routed base with edges being attached

Layup- 22 oz triaxial weave fiberglass sandwich with an in house sublimated PBT topsheet.

Finished board out of the ugly, press. I am glad to have left that piece of shit, the next one I build will be much improved.

All mounted up and ready to ride!

In a couple weekends I'll have most of the steel for the press frame.

All the wood working equipment will be a little slower to come but I will keep you all updated on my progress. If anyone's interested about the process feel free to PM.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:14 pm 

Snurfer wrote:
Thanks Bob! I'll PM you this W/E with details, FB info, etc...
In a nutshell, if your blunt nosed and swallowtail boards merged with Adam's large radii board it would be fairly close to my design.
The specs are an amalgamation of a Winterstick Swallow, Voile V-Tail and Gentem Mantaray.

Barrows, my idea of reasonable is...
Quote:
if I could build/buy my own press and acquire the minimum tools for three or four times the cost of a custom board, its not reasonable IMO.

That sounds easy enough.
Shape is easy, any shape can be made without too much drama. Profile is where the work is if you want something funky. I can do camber, rocker, or camber with rockrr between the feet using my existing moulds in any length you want any any width up to 320mm. My largest sidecut template is 18m.

If what you want falls within those specs somewhere I would consider it not too hard to build.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:49 pm 

Damn aliasptr, cool stuff!

Bob, my design goes out to about 34cm at the nose, same as the Winterstick swally :(

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:46 pm 

My isospeed 7200 base material is 32cm wide. I can press up to 34cm but the base would have to have the parts wider than 32cm joined on like a die cut base

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:22 am 

Bob how customizable are your profiles? And can't you do one base segment per ski to accommodate a 34 cm shovel (which I have and love).

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split