Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: California Cascades
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:25 pm 

Went up North to check on Lassen and Shasta. The road just opened to the devastated area last weekend.
Buell kicking steps

We found some smooth corn to ride on the south side

All the North facing stuff was icy, so we popped back over the summit to ride out from the less steep ridge we ascended in the morning

Snow on the North side was transitional wintery snow, a mix of breakable wind crust with sugary facets and smooth icy hardpack

The snow was a little patchy from the TH so we carried our boards for a short bit before we were on consistent snow for skinning. Skinned to the base of the mountain then booted up the ridge to the left of the summit with crampons. Super icy in places.

It was a fun day, always a beautiful mountain to climb and snowboard on. Next stop Shasta.

The objective of the day was thumb rock chutes, and since we were less concerned with rapid warming after our Lassen climb we decided to start later then the original plan. This would be my first Shasta day trip start with no head lamp.

Red banks and trinity chutes were looking bony and bizarre. Seems like we are missing 10-20 feet of snowpack that is typical here.

Under thumb rock we scanned for any ridable lines, a few looked like they went, but the firm conditions and challenging cruxes seemed an unwise decision.

We watched as skiers and boarders descended the face between red banks and trinity chutes. One took a tumble and a decent slide and the others made careful survival turns on hardpack. We opted to ride Avy gulch and it was icy too, but got softer and really pretty nice the lower we got.

JimW

We were able to skin from the car and ride out to the car. Shasta was awesome. It is such a big mountain, and such a beautiful mountain. I usually don't get up north this early in the season, but friends were going to be up there and it felt like spring riding time. This week I think winter is making a comeback. Praying for powder to play in and an extension on spring riding season. Winter always seems too short.

Post subject: Re: California Cascades
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:15 pm 

Nice! Perfect timing on this TR, too. It's looking like I'm gonna have to take a little trip to redwood country next week and I was thinking about climbing a volcano on the way. This weeks refresher might be nice and stable by then. Hmmmm....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:07 am 

Sick TR Buff!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:27 pm 

That was a fun couple of days. Especially wandering around on the top of Lassen trying to find the easiest way down a big firm face. It felt like spring, but even after two weeks of no snow and all sun, the north faces and anything above 11K on Shasta did not want to give up winter yet (too bad it wasn't soft).

Helen Lake to the car was the best riding I have ever had on that section though. Perfect corn that never got sticky.

Glad that the slide for life skier managed to stop.

So nice it is snowing again!!!!

Frozen to very firm. Looks beautiful but time to find another route.

This one was good corn thankfully. South facing and below 10.5K

LTR and Jimw booting up the looker's right side of Avy Gulch. I can never understand all the climbers who spend their time in the middle of the bowling alley. It is so dangerous.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:48 pm 

Lassen, sheesh that was the first time I ever put crampons on to check out lines off the ridge to see if there was one that was not too bulletproof. :lol:

Quite the adventure. Fun riding with you Buell, good to meet ya.

Steve, I can't believe you guys broke trail for 10 miles last weekend. That is a burly quest.

Paul, I hope you score pow on the volcanoes, that would be most epic.

Oh and STOKED for new snow! Snowed lots Saturday, snowing again today/tonight. :clap:

-B

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:29 am 

Looks like a blast Buffy. I guess I should plan on going out this weekend maybe??

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:03 am 

Yeah Ray! You should go snowboarding this weekend. KW got 17 inches last night. Supposed to snow tues-weds here. Should be good this weekend.