Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: rughty binders
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:02 am 

HansGLudwig wrote:
rughty wrote:
Long time coming. Finally got the finished Flow entry split binding done after a couple years of testing the proto.

Does that mean we can strap in from the rear with the flick of one lever and thereby forego that annoying ratcheting ritual we softbooters are prone to?

Yes. I still use standard ratchets though, but I only slide them on to barely tight for more surfy turns or give them a ratchet or two for more responsive riding before flicking the lever. Ladder straps in both cases stay in great shape as the actual tightening of the straps comes from the high back lever. I even leave my high backs for touring loose for ultimate negative lean and the straps which are attached to the high backs (not the pivot point like standard flow bindings) keeps my boots from coming out the back during touring.

A disagreement between my partner and I resulted in my departure from Triad. I don't know what his intentions for Triad are in the future, but seeing as the site is down, I would venture to guess it won't be what is in the current inventory.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:24 am 

rughty wrote:
Yes. I still use standard ratchets though, but I only slide them on to barely tight for more surfy turns or give them a ratchet or two for more responsive riding before flicking the lever. Ladder straps in both cases stay in great shape as the actual tightening of the straps comes from the high back lever. I even leave my high backs for touring loose for ultimate negative lean and the straps which are attached to the high backs (not the pivot point like standard flow bindings) keeps my boots from coming out the back during touring.

:bananas:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:44 pm 

rughty wrote:
HansGLudwig wrote:
rughty wrote:
Long time coming. Finally got the finished Flow entry split binding done after a couple years of testing the proto.

Does that mean we can strap in from the rear with the flick of one lever and thereby forego that annoying ratcheting ritual we softbooters are prone to?

Rughty,

I'm currently working on a similar set of bindings using some GNU fastec highbacks. Did you try touring with the ankle strap connected to the normal position? Do you just fall straight out of the binding when on a slope?

Im thinking I may solve that issue using a leash attached to the lever and the highback, preventing it from opening all the way, but still allowing for rear entry in split mode when the leash is undone. I also plan on using some spark strappy straps when on long tours, which would also solve the problem. Strapping in in split mode is probably the least graceful part of splitboarding...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:02 pm 

You would be surprised how fast your boots want to come out the back especially with cap straps. My first tour with flow high backs mounted in the normal pivot position was climbing Shasta. I used the black diamond straps keeping the high backs strapped to my boots. I hated fumbling with the straps so I decided to make it easier my mounting the straps directly to the high back.

The problem with the fastec straps is that when the lever is unlocked it loosens the straps way to much. Awesome technology for the resort but not for touring. When I ride resort I just flip the levers back which allows for better circulation for the lift ride up. Using a strapy strap or voile strap would accomplish a similar effect, but you will get tired of all the work it takes to put them on. Nothing like flicking a lever which takes only a second verses digging in your pack or pockets to fasten a couple straps each time you transition.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9