Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Avalanche Safety Book Recommendation
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:50 am 

Whats up guys? I've had some free time recently and looking for some new material. Wondering if you guys have any full length books on avi safety that you recommend checking out. I read Bruce Tremper's "Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain" a couple years back and thought it was a great read. Any other suggestions?

Excuse me while I powder my face.

Post subject: Re: Avalanche Safety Book Recommendation
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:25 am 

Of what I have read, I've learned the most from the unfortunate mistakes of others.

Avalanche Accidents in Canada Volume 5 1996 – 2007 examines 105 fatal avalanche accidents over a ten-year period, in which 155 people lost their lives.
Expert analysis, offering invaluable educational opportunities. This new volume also includes many features new to the series, designed to help readers get the most from the information. Included are terrain ratings, tabulated warning signs, and extensive use of relevant text from the public avalanche bulletins. In addition, seasonal weather and snowpack summaries aim to help readers to better understand the link between the specific weather of a winter and the resulting accident patterns

http://www.mec.ca/product/5025-392/aval ... 0006+50016

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:15 pm 

I keep up on the accident reports and analysis, mostly through CAIC and NWAC (I ride mostly in CO and WA) and agree this is the most raw and sobering way to learn about the causes and destructive power avalanches, as well as how to avoid becoming a statistic. I haven't seen that collection of reports though, I'll look into it. Thanks for the recommendation! One thing I liked about Tremper's book were the stories of personal experience gathered over many years in the profession. The statistics, victim accounts and analysis of accidents are great raw data, but after reading hundreds of them, sometimes it's nice to have a well written collection of experiences from the perspective of a true expert. Even though the info is almost always the same, I'm just looking for another perspective to read it from to keep me busy :) Thanks again for your input!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:02 pm 

Tremper has a new book. (Avalanche Essentials - available through the REI button on this page) It's not as detailed as Staying Alive and I think the focus is more on the casual user but like all his work it is entertainingly written and worth a read by everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:21 pm 

If you've already read Staying Alive, "Snow Sense: A Guide to Evaluating Snow Avalanche Hazard" by Jill Fredston & Doug Fesler is a nice reinforcement. It's more of a quick-and-dirty field guide than Staying Alive and goes over some things Tremper doesn't (but like 90% of Snow Sense is in Staying Alive). It's a bit more of a practical approach with less science and more strategies.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:05 am 

The Avalanche review has a free archive of older issues online, thye are quite interesting to read.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:11 am 

Staying Alive is unique in the body of Avy lit. There are scores of 120 pg, Avy-101 primers and then there are academic, jargon-heavy texts. Tremper really nicely bridges science and readability.
AFAIK, If you want a step deeper into Avy lit you either have to sacrifice readability or venture into the Krakauer-type novel area. (Personally, I don't do novels)
The Avalanche Handbook by David McClung and Peter Schaerer was my textbook for Avy 2. As a repository of information on all aspects of avalanches, it's dry read but very thorough. It's very well annotated and each chapter will point you toward two dozen academic and industry sources.
(Apparently, there's this whole world of avy study that has nothing to do with BC travel: roads, resorts, and civic planning...Who knew?!)

And then there's the SWAG manual which won't actually help you stay alive, but will teach you how to determine exactly which kind of dragon will kill you... and help you decode CAIC incident reports and normalize your pit data to industry standards (for when you report observations to your local forecast center. 'cause we all do that. each time. right?...right?)
Most of it is available for free as a pdf through the link above, but it's good soup to order your own paper copy for $20. (Bonus: you get a huge AAA sticker which fits on your board!...and not skis)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:31 am 

Awesome guys, thanks for all the info. This should keep me busy for a while!