Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2013-2014 snow conditions
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:24 am 

nice shots MD!! great to have someone with who likes to take pictures..

still working on time to upload the download! been out riding instead!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:16 pm 

first picture test!!--------ta DUH!!! :nononno: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:31 am 

can someone please explain picture size control from flickr? I don't have time to play with it all day :scratch:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:40 pm 

We did a camp trip into the Gore this weekend. Sledneck access, hunting tent with stove and all. Rode alpenglow lines at sunset and full moon turns down steep wide open runs at 1am. Best moonlight turns of my life! Unfortunatly my Photo buddy moved to AK, so i dont have much to share. Great group of ripping riders and riding with two of my best friends that i have been riding with since we were kids. The conditions are great! solid snow pack with about 6" new again Saturday morning refresh. Now is the time. Oh yeah, and CTG- just copy the BBC code on flicker and it gives you the option for size?

Gore SF 2014 by travis young 424, on Flickr

Gore 2014 by travis young 424, on Flickr
Lines out the front door

Tent stove by travis young 424, on Flickr
Luxury sledneck camping

Gore steeps 2014 by travis young 424, on Flickr

Cheers Scotty! by travis young 424, on Flickr
This guy rips!

Gore main shoot 2014 by travis young 424, on Flickr

Mulli Gore trip 2014 by travis young 424, on Flickr

Phantom Alpha's w TLT5s
DIY 168 Skynk Ape, RC
Lib Tech T.Rice 164.5
Spark R&D Afterburner tesla'

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:27 am 

dang travis what is up?? lets get rad! still havnt done any full moon riding, sounds quiet the special occasion.

thanks travis you the man!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:11 pm 

Right on Cometogether! come on up. it's to good right now for me to go anywhere else.. Too broke$$ anyways. I will see you guys at the Silverton splitfest! i have been finding more and more right here in my back yard. a lifetime of dream lines, easy access.. If only the snow was this good in CO more offten

Those Shots are pretty sweet CTG, especially the second one with lots o steez

Cant wait to get down south for the SSF!

Phantom Alpha's w TLT5s
DIY 168 Skynk Ape, RC
Lib Tech T.Rice 164.5
Spark R&D Afterburner tesla'

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:03 am 

speaking of silverton..... whats the haps Jason?? almost seems this is a flip flop year- good snow in the front ranges not so much down south.. can you fill us in before the fest? id hate to take a week off and run into a dust layer or something lame like that. Its pretty stellar in the fronts right now and looks like its snowing again. :rock:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:33 am 

Not sure. Couldn't get up there this weekend. I took the weekend off after the BC trip and switched gears a bit (on the bike). Snotel, CAIC and Silverton Mountain are your best bets to know. We did get a dust layer it sounds, but last I checked, the snowpack was better then last few years at 70" last night, and last year was 61", year before 60" 2012. 2011 was a good year, and they were at 75" at that time. A lot can happen in a few weeks, hard to say. But I still think it will be good.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:45 am 

true true
just starting to study the area again since we are getting closer!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:48 pm 

Got out the past two days in the alpine. Conditions were really good, mostly pow. Day 1 was sled assisted mini golf lines. Day two big couloir. I didn't have any issues with the storm slab. Certainly a dust layer down there at lower elevation, but if you get high, its good. N to NE aspects, around 11K up were good.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:08 am 

sweet. Hows the Furberg? Turkey CHute? Looks like some wind coming in this week.....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:28 am 

I enjoyed the Furberg quite a bit. Low to mid speeds was super fun. Really easy to turn, surfy and playful. Interested to see it is fully opened up. Yep, Turkey was on.

So a bit more on what I'm noticing out there for people coming in. Take what I say as a grain of salt, I'm not a forecaster. Might be long winded, bear with me...

We've had about 4-5 dust events in the past 3-4 weeks. Last night there was another one, and it looked pretty apocalyptic. But, most of them will be buried down, except last nights. It is concern a bit for avy danger, but more for depleting snowpack to me. In heat, I expect that layer will become problematic. The conditions in the alpine are listed as "considerable" today (lowering to moderate tomorrow), moderate treeline, and low below treeline. There are two issues, wind slabs and persistent layers. Been hearing the persistent layer all year, its really getting old. They list both as likely, but I lean more towards "unlikely" with persistent (like I said, grain of salt). If it goes, 3-6ft deep probably, so it will go bigger. Below treeline the snow is pretty shit, and I probably wouldn't want to ride anything below 10,500 or so based on what I'm seeing. The dust has hammered it, I didn't even want to be down there. But above treeline, NW-E aspects seem like the dust is buried down (we'll see after yesterday), and good snow.

I chose to ride in the alpine for the best snow and to see what it was doing. Day 1 was small terrain to feel it out. We didn't find any sluff issues from the wind slab, and our high siding on the sleds on E, W, and N aspects didn't do anything. Not the best test, but ripping a 450lb machine up a slope is a pretty big impact... We unsuccessfully tried to cut a cornice, it didn't release (we think user error). Lots of ski cuts, no issues. Rode probably 40 degree faces, only about 4-500ft long, no issues. The slope we were riding was a N aspect, from 12,600 down to around 12,100.

Sunday, I chose to ride Turkey chute. I didn't think the two issues were going to be big in the couloir, and if it was, it was going to be manageable at the top. I was concerned a bit with the approach up to Blair lake, as there is 1 spot of concern in the center (look at the topo). We got through there relatively quick, and without issue. Evidence of old point releases on the way up was there, but the sun never came out Sunday to make a concern for me. I put in two large ski cuts at the top of convex rollers on Turkey without issue. Turkey chute was basically full on pow. Face shots the whole way down. There was a small old point release from probably the heat in there, that started around 2ft wide, and went out the bottom. Seemed to have started from the rocks. It didn't affect the riding much, and with no sun no concern for me. Turkey chute is a NE aspect, from around 12,300 to 10,200. It gets hardly any wind loading due to the size of the walls, and sun probably shorter amount of time (few hours at best). I found the snow changed out of the bottom of the couloir to super crust. This was around 11,000ft where there was no protection from the sun in previous days. With sun, it would be almost more cornlike.

None of my pole plants could get past 12 inches the entire weekend, except one place in the trees on a NE aspect at 11,600' approaching Turkey. That persistent layer is pretty solid, but probably still a concern in isolated spots. I chose smaller isolated terrain to deal with it and minimized the types of issues we are having.

I feel there is a good amount of riding out there, but it will take some creativity, and to get up high. We'll see what the couple weeks do. Looks like a ton of wind the next few days (probably more dust then), and some snow the whole week off an on. We'll see, but hoping for the best!

See most of you all in almost a week.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:51 pm 

thanks for the very thorough informative snow preview, above 10500 for the goods makes for some interesting choices. I wish I had a sled... :thumpsup:

lets hope the new snow covers everything..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next