Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Prowder?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:26 am 

I got my saddles, and yes I need some instructions on how to assemble them. Holy crap there are a lot of parts! :lol:

I actually haven't tried to put them together yet. Maybe tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:37 am 

HansGLudwig wrote:

Having this pic available when installing really helped me. I have been messing around with these at work and just finished installing them. They took some tweaking and patience, but now they seem to be dialed...tight fit to my bindings and no slop. I am impressed so far, and Kevin is available and helpful answering questions. Next week will be my first chance to give them a go on snow.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:47 pm 

I or perhaps Kevin will owe two pints to whomever posts some close-up images of a successful factory split mount. Too many parts and set-up configurations to not have directions.

Thanks!

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:35 am 

permnation wrote:
HansGLudwig wrote:

Having this pic available when installing really helped me. I have been messing around with these at work and just finished installing them. They took some tweaking and patience, but now they seem to be dialed...tight fit to my bindings and no slop. I am impressed so far, and Kevin is available and helpful answering questions. Next week will be my first chance to give them a go on snow.

I second this, I figure that when getting a product that is this young, we're the guinney pigs. Prowder has been vigilant in responding to e-mail(thanks) and the saddles are a big step forward for me. I'm really looking forward to installing the rest of the kit but am hung up on the spacer/bearing issue (just a hair to small to fit over the socket screws). This kit is heavier than voiles but I can see that the tip and tail as well as the buckle attachments will tighten up things nicely :thumpsup: . I will post pics as soon as I re-up on my flickr account.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:02 pm 

This is one configuration (of many) for a factory split mount. Notably, it took a fellow splitter on this forum for me to get a useful picture of a factory split mount.

I mounted saddles on one of my splits. Some thoughts:

1. Many possible configurations

There are many different potential configurations of the parts that one can use. I ended up using one different than the picture above.

The downside of so many configurations is that it's confusing and difficult to set up--at least for someone as mechanically disinclined as me--this is especially true without directions. The upside is that it's highly adjustable.

Here is the rear foot configuration I am using (for now, but who knows if I will change it up).

2. Loose fit

Using last year's light rails, there is a small amount of vertical play between the binding and saddle. Although fore-aft tolerances are tight, the saddle doesn't hold the binding down firmly. The result is a small but annoying and worrisome rattle. I will keep diddling with it to try to remedy this problem. If I can't resolve this problem it will probably be a deal killer for me.

3. Nice boot centering

The design allows one to center their rear boot and binding on the board in a way that factory pucks don't. As a size 12 guy harboring a disdain for boot-out, I like this feature a lot.

4. Design suggestion

By designing the base mounting plates with a bit of board seem overlap on each side this system could facilitate more structural rigidity by preventing one ski from being torqued higher than the other.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:39 pm 

This is the correct setup for a factory splitboard.
This is the correct setup for a DIY and factory snowboard.
The slider with the "B" on it goes on the heal side or back of the Saddle setup.
If you have any questions please call or email us at:
sales @prowder.com
1-303-601-7890
~Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:51 pm 

I thought I would post a link to the install video on the Prowder Interface.
https://vimeo.com/88299436
If you have any questions please call or email us at:
sales@prowder.com
1-303-601-7890
~Kevin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:40 pm 

I spent a week in AK touring on the Prowders. Rode settled pow, wind-affected pow, heinous steep hard snow, sun-affected mush crust, etc. Pretty big days; they were put through the ringer. I had them on both my Donek 187 and Venture Storm 181.

All of my above observations and thoughts stand (a few posts up). Also:

1. They need lock-tight. Screws loosen easily otherwise.
2. Despite a tiny bit of play, they feel more bomber to me than the Voile pucks, which I've broken. I err on the side of bomber. But I sure wish they had a no-wiggle fit; that is a bummer.
3. They shed ice easily. Usually just by putting the binding on. We had ice; it wasn't a problem.
4. I wish there were more stance angle options. Front foot 20s are tolerable but not ideal for me.

As with any new product, only time will tell (seasons worth) how well it will hold up. Certainly, a week of touring isn't that. And it's surely true here with so much metal on metal. But Prowder, I would say, is off to a not-bad start. I hope and expect that Kevin continues to improve the product, considering some of my suggestions, especially about base-plate board seam overlap, in the post above.