Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Terrain Interpretation
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:18 pm 

Looking forward to sharing some secrets tomorrow-

Terrain Interpretation- Part 1, Lunchtime Session

Here in Vermont, the mountains we ride on and call home are some of the oldest in the world, and almost all of our terrain is below tree line- covered with a surprisingly diverse collection of ecological communities. Join with Professor of Ecological Design and veteran backcountry snowboarder Keith Morris for a lunchtime exploration of how to 'read' the geology and ecology of our mountains, and an introduction to using topographical maps to delineate ‘watersheds’ and interpret other key data to help us have the best time possible snowboarding out of bounds.

Knowing the story of our mountains’ origins, some of the plants that live on them, and how this information is interpreted in maps helps us determine where we will find ledges, wetlands and ravines, and more confidently explore new terrain to ride. Cultivating and practicing this informed observation on the hill not only helps us pick the best lines (including routes in and out)stay oriented and safe, but also greatly deepens our connection to and appreciation of what we’re riding on and in…

Do you use your understanding of geology or ecology to get the goods?

Post subject: Re: Terrain Interpretation
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:06 pm 

heh. post-holing huh?

otherwise sounds interesting. i've always felt that snowboarding is just a part of the overall experience. (really goes for anything in life.)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:15 pm 

haha- no, part 2 is a split trip. I think the artist just wanted to show the board...

:thumpsup:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:31 am 

I smoke my ecology, and then fire up google earth to look at the ecology, and then text HikeForTurns...."dude....what's looking good on NOAA?" I'm rolling your way to get the goods!

Just messin...er kinda..

Looks like a cool session to sit in on...I've always been the type of person to go out into the wild places and tune in. I learned most of these techniques from Tom Browns stalking and tracking books.

-Luther Standing Bear,

http://splitrippin.tumblr.com/