Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:19 pm 

This is following up utahgirls post about using the newer voile universal pucks on a burton. I had both an old burton and some new voile pucks in the house so I figured I would give this a try.

If you look at the clusters of holes on a burton there are two on each "ski" that match up perfectly with how voile holes are placed. The screwdriver is pointing to these here.

And here is a pic with the pucs attached.

It is super easy to do. The only drawback is that you are limited to one stance width of 21 inches. As long as this width works for you this seems like the way to go with an older burton.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:36 pm 

Cool! That is a little bit of a bummer about the stance width, but I guess it could be worse. I don't suppose there's some way to use a different pair of screw holes (turning the middle of the puck to line up with the holes) and still have the pucks actually line up properly? The pairs of holes I'm talking about are the in grey ellipses in this pic:

Post subject: Burton Split experiences
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:48 am 

Hey All,
My brother just turned me on to this forum. I'm an avid split-boarder (if that's a word). I've been riding the Burton Split for 4 years. I'm a huge fan, but I'm kinda biased with all things Burton as I've been buying their stuff for over 15 years.
I live in the Swiss alps at 5000ft (1500m) so I get all kinds of snow conditions. The board took a lot of getting used to. Yes it's heavy, but I almost never carry it. I replaced the binding interfaces last year because Burton made a change to stabilize the bindings when in ski-mode. That meant I had to change the piece where the toe clips in in ski-mode. It's more stable now. Everyone always asks me how the board rides. My answer is always the same, "Awesome". I find the added weight to help at higher speeds and through choppier snow. It rides great on every snow condition we have here, which is all of them.
The first couple of times I got extremely frustrated putting the board back together when it was time to ride. It takes some getting used to but now it's all good. I regularly put it back together with gloves on (albeit pipe gloves I wear for skinning). I also always have my pocket knife with me to clear away the snow under the metal ring where the bindings attach in ride-mode.
I tour sometimes with a friend who has a Duotone built on the Voile system. I can't see myself chaning over to that as it looks to flimsy and the fit is lousy. Her bindings are not solidly attached to the board in ride-mode, and the board does not ride well.
I normally carry spare parts with me, but haven't had a problem yet (knock on wood). I average about 20 days a year on the split. I even spent a week in Norway touring off a boat in the fjords. The board performed flawlessly in the varied snow conditions we came across.
I'm really annoyed that Burton stopped making their system, but I understand they can't make enough money. Sadly, even Burton is business to make money. I'm trying to get my hands on another one to have for a rainy day.

Well that was a mouthful. Hope my experiences help anyone looking for info.
Nice work on the site guys!

Post subject: Re: Burton Split experiences
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:28 am 

jasonf wrote:
I tour sometimes with a friend who has a Duotone built on the Voile system. I can't see myself chaning over to that as it looks to flimsy and the fit is lousy. Her bindings are not solidly attached to the board in ride-mode, and the board does not ride well.

hey jasonf, verbier is a nice resort ... been there a few times ... but it's years ago.
please don't compare the old duotone splits with the voilé's ... I had to learn that lesson too. :wink:
I used for 5 years a duotone split, when I rode a voilé freeride 173 the first time I was deeply surprised. with this season I am on voilé mtn gun 171 ... there are generations between the duotone's and the voilé's: nothing is flimsy and the fit is great.
so, just think a matter over it changing your burton to the voilé system some day ... :wink: :wink:
have fun!

Post subject: Voile on Burton
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:56 pm 

You know, I was able to get a few other stances by swiveling the inside of the puck. You could also drill an extra hole in the puck if you really needed to hit another insert for a particular stance. I ride 17 degrees in the front and 0 in the back. i was able to get both my angle and my stance width. I'll post pics once I figure out how to do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:25 pm 

Cool, would love to see the pics. Here's some info on posting pics:

http://talk.splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=2037

Biglines isn't too bad once you figure it out but the whole process can be confusing at first. PM or post here if you get stuck.

P.S. Utah sucks, there is no good backcountry there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:05 pm 

Thanks for the tip. I'll get on it here soon.

You're right. Utah totally sucks. Nobody should come here. What powder? I don't see any powder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:49 pm 

I got to see utahgirl's mods first hand at Splitfest this past weekend, and let me tell you she is a genius! Not to mention a great guide and all-around cool chick as well... So to follow up on the posts starting here, here are some pics.

Touring bracket and puck modifications. The voile bracket was drilled out so that it could be mounted on the existing Burton inserts. Pucks are the universal pucks that come on the factory boards, which you can order from Voile along with the screws. Note that this particular puck is rotated in order to use different inserts than dishwasher-dave tried in his pics, in order to get a different angle/stance width. I didn't notice this before but it looks like the puck actually sticks over the split edge of the board. Interesting.

Question - the Burton touring bracket only has 2 screws doesn't it? Did you drill a hole for the upper screw? Is that a wood screw?

Heel lift mod. The Voile part was drilled out so that it could be mounted on the existing Burton inserts.

Question: does the location of the existing inserts allow the heel lift to work with the Voile crampons?

Tail clip mod for Voile skins. That's a BD ClipFix tail clip, and my favorite mod of all, the hair tie cord assembly to keep it in place! Pure genius!! Note: on the other "ski", the yin-yang hook is facing the other direction, so the hair tie goes around one of the bolt heads on the hook instead. You can take a small file to make a notch in the bolt head to keep the hair tie from slipping off.

You go girl! I'm stoked to try out this mod on my Burton without having to drill a bunch of holes or attempt to make my own pucks. Thanks!