Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hovercraft 156 DIY Split w Custom Ride EX Bindings (PICS)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:44 am 

Whats up guys? Been lurking here for a few years, started asking some questions last week regarding my first DIY split project. I've finally feel like I have enough knowledge to make a nice splitty and all necessary elements are either in hand or being shipped today.

Jones Hovercraft 156 Solid
Voile DIY Split Kit
Ride EX Bindings

I had originally planned on splitting my GNU Riders Choice BTX 154.5 but decided I wanted something with more float in the BC. I also was having serious anxiety about cutting my favorite board in half. She's seen about 200 cold mornings and a few million vert with me. We've treated each other very well and I would probably cry if I ruined her. So, I decided to buy the Hovercraft 156 from Buell through the board swap, which will be a much more suitable backcountry/powder board.

I plan on cutting the board next week and will hopefully have it finished sometime in the next couple weeks. I've got a set of Ride EX bindings in the mail that I'm having the base cut out of to weld in my Voile slider plates. I'm super lucky to have a dad that is an instructor in an insane machine shop and has access to every tool known to man, as well as being able to weld aluminum. I've also got all of the appropriate tools lined up for the rest of the project, including a diamond coated saw blade, that bastard 19/64 bit and a 3/4" Forstner instead of the wood paddle. Now the waiting game. I'm hoping all my stuff will be in this week but I'm outta town boarding this weekend so I won't be able to get the ball rolling until next week.

I plan on sealing my inside edges with spray spar urethane and I'm eliminating the 3 T nuts on each board by using Voile binding mounting screws for the front/center mounting point on the touring bracket and both mounting points on the climbing wires. I haven't yet decided whether I am going to use P-tex to finish the holes in the base or if I will just do the g-flex epoxy to fill the entire hole. Any input would be appreciated.

I've never ridden a split but to me it seems like this should be a real nice setup. Any thoughts?

Sorry to drag you guys into another premature thread before I have any pictures but I am super pumped about this project. It's been a long time in the making! As soon as the last few things come in, I'll start getting some pictures taken and will keep you guys updated as things progress.

Wish me luck!

Seeing as how I'm the first of our crew to get a split and I have to travel 1k miles to get to the mountains, I will be looking for riding partners for short trips out west in the near future. Planning a trip out to Summit County in mid April. If anyone in the area is looking for new partners, hit me up!

Excuse me while I powder my face.

Jones Hovercraft DIY Split 156
Never Summer Raptor Solid 159
GNU Riders Choice BTX 154.5 Solid
Burton R. Crumb Stock 154 Solid

Post subject: Re: Jones Hovercraft 156 DIY Split with Custom Ride EX Bindings
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:53 am 

After a bit of delay, I started on the board over the weekend. I cut it and sealed the edge Friday, cleaned up the edge for a proper fit on Saturday and installed most of my hardware yesterday.

Tonight, I'm going to cut down and install the binding screws that are replacing all of the T nuts on the climbing wire bracket and one of the 3 T nuts on each touring bracket. I'll also be installing the rivets on the tip and tail clips and filling my base holes with epoxy.

As expected, things haven't gone exactly as planned. Fortunately, none of my mistakes ruined the board and it just took me some extra time and care to get things right.

My issues:

1. I'm a perfectionisnt and my cut wasn't perfect! THE PAIN!!! 80% of the way through the board, all was going well. As I went into the early rise on the nose, I got just a little sloppy with the saw and the saw guide rode up my straight edge and left about an 1/8" by 2" gouge out of one of the boards. OUCH! I filled in the void with epoxy and was able to close the gap. It looks ok and the fit seems good. Hopefully this will hold up :-/

2. The forstner bit grabbed the core on one of my holes and went MUCH deeper than I had planned. I about shat myself when it pulled to twice the depth I was planning! Luckily, it didn't go all the way thru the core and I was able to set the T nut to the right depth. It'll be completely filled in with epoxy tonight, so no big deal there either.

3. I set the nose clip back slightly off the edge of the board and after it was done, I kinda wished I hadn't. I have seen a lot of boards with the clip setback slightly and it's only about 1/4" back from the tip so it really shouldn't be an issue. Not really sure what I was thinking there but no biggie.

4. Somehow, the tiny hole that holds the plastic post on the tail clip didn't line up. I'm not sure if my hand moved when I center punched the hole or what but I will have to drill a hole in the correct spot (right next to it) and fill the current one in with epoxy. Not the prettiest, but no big deal.

I still have 6 holes to drill half way thru the board tonight which poses a bit of a challenge but with any lucky, I will be 95% done tonight.

It's obviously a learning process and I'm just happy that none of my mistakes have destroyed the board. Still seems like I should end up with a nice splitty!

Pictures to follow!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:09 am 

I also prepped the slider plates and my binding baseplate to be cut and welded. They should be done sometime this week.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:55 am 

Tip and tail clips installed. Both snap shut nice and tight. Was going to wait and do a base grind but I decided just to do a fine hand sand on the base to prep it for wax instead.

I've marked the areas that I can see light between the two boards and I am building the epoxy on my inside edge slightly more in those areas until all gaps are filled. Then, a super thin layer of green enamel to finish it off.

Just ordered some black epoxy pigment to mix with my G Flex for my base fill.

Although I had to cut the 5/8" binding screws down to use them on front holes of the touring brackets, I found them to be just a bit too short for the climbing wire brackets because the bracket is considerably thicker. Damn! Just ordered some 3/4" from Voile that should do the trick.

If all goes well, the bindings will be welded tomorrow. They will eventually get a green powder coating on all aluminum frame parts but probably not til after this season.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:57 pm 

Sorry guys, I've had this done for over a week but my ambition to finish the project was far greater than my ambition to post pictures. Here she is:

Post subject: Re: Hovercraft 156 DIY Split w Custom Ride EX Bindings (PICS)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:21 pm 

Right on! Nice work. Thanks for sharing your build, especially pics.

Rentals*Sales*Custom Splits

http://www.centerpunchsplitboards.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:12 pm 

She's a beaut'. Congrats! :thatrocks:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:57 pm 

Do yourself a solid and get those bases powder coated!!! Great job on your build!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:41 am 

rughty wrote:
Do yourself a solid and get those bases powder coated!!! Great job on your build!

You know it! Just waiting til the end of the season so I can drop them off with my guy without having to rush him. Can't really rush a guy who is doing work for free haha.