Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:47 am 

splittilps wrote:
No my friend you got it all wrong, those in the know are now saying T-rex was a scavenger. Sorry to drift OT.

Nuh-ahhh! I saw it on that documentary Jurassic Park.

utahgirl wrote:
Oh no, now I've offended the rednecks!

I think I beat you to that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:14 pm 

If you feel so strongly about not taking dogs into sensitive ecosystems, why does the model of disruption by dogs to the predator/prey relationship not also apply to you traveling into such areas on your split? Does a skin track not make ingress/egress easier for predator/prey? If not, why not? Have you ever gone back to your previous skin track and seen wildlife tracks follow them? Have you thought that skier density may have more of an effect on the predator/prey relationship than the presence of a dog? What about route selection to avoid contact all together?

When it comes down to it, all of this is simply anecdotal evidence. I haven't seen a scientific study that says dogs in the BC during winter months have an impact on T&E species (e.g., mountain caribou, lynx, etc.) migration/land use/population. If you have, I'd love to read it. Until then, all we have are our individual conceptual models--biased by our perceptions--of the effect that dogs have on wildlife. It is simply your opinion which may or may not reflect reality.

BTW, I don't think there's anyone that enjoys getting crap on their skins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:42 pm 

OldMan wrote:
If you feel so strongly about not taking dogs into sensitive ecosystems, why does the model of disruption by dogs to the predator/prey relationship not also apply to you traveling into such areas on your split? Does a skin track not make ingress/egress easier for predator/prey? If not, why not? Have you ever gone back to your previous skin track and seen wildlife tracks follow them? Have you thought that skier density may have more of an effect on the predator/prey relationship than the presence of a dog? What about route selection to avoid contact all together?

When it comes down to it, all of this is simply anecdotal evidence. I haven't seen a scientific study that says dogs in the BC during winter months have an impact on T&E species (e.g., mountain caribou, lynx, etc.) migration/land use/population. If you have, I'd love to read it. Until then, all we have are our individual conceptual models--biased by our perceptions--of the effect that dogs have on wildlife. It is simply your opinion which may or may not reflect reality.

BTW, I don't think there's anyone that enjoys getting crap on their skins.

:!: <sound of door slamming shut>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:01 pm 

Yeah, this is exactly why I dont post long messages in forums. It never fails that you'll get called names when you stick your neck out (nazi, hypocrite, preacher so on).

Few of us ever consider how many players are involved with public lands. Logging, mining, pipelines, transmission lines, highways, parks, hunters, snowmobilers, ATV's,etc. Combined our impacts are tremendous. If every land user were to make small contributions and compromise thier positions in minor ways, there is no doubt we could have healthy wildlife populations. Is leaving your dog at home too much to ask, if in return you can ride the powder in the BC?. Not if you ask me.

It's so easy to point out all the damage that others are doing without looking at ourselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:11 pm 

there is a good dog beacon thread on the couloir forum...try this link...

http://www.telemarkskier.com/cgi-bin/ul ... 746#000000

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:52 pm 

the mighty bighorn wrote:
Yeah, this is exactly why I dont post long messages in forums. It never fails that you'll get called names when you stick your neck out (nazi, hypocrite, preacher so on).

Few of us ever consider how many players are involved with public lands. Logging, mining, pipelines, transmission lines, highways, parks, hunters, snowmobilers, ATV's,etc. Combined our impacts are tremendous. If every land user were to make small contributions and compromise thier positions in minor ways, there is no doubt we could have healthy wildlife populations. Is leaving your dog at home too much to ask, if in return you can ride the powder in the BC?. Not if you ask me.

It's so easy to point out all the damage that others are doing without looking at ourselves.

I don't disagree and you brought up some valid points. I will definitely consider when and if I traveling in areas where wildlife could be adversly affected by my pooch. Fact of the matter I do not travel in terrain where wildlife is harrased by my dog. Period end of story.
So when I am in Canada and I am traveling in park land where there are Caribou herds in nesting in the winter I will not bring my dog.
Dog's also deserve a certain amount of excersize and to not be holed up in a crate or house all day too. I choose to take him with me in an area where it is accetable to have him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:41 pm 

Quote:
If every land user were to make small contributions and compromise thier positions in minor ways, there is no doubt we could have healthy wildlife populations.

MBH<oops>, I agree with you 100%.
Consciousness and compromise will keep the forest open for us all. I think that starts with understanding and accepting the impacts I make when I choose to play in the forest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:02 pm 

Killclimbz wrote:
I don't disagree and you brought up some valid points. I will definitely consider when and if I traveling in areas where wildlife could be adversly affected by my pooch. Fact of the matter I do not travel in terrain where wildlife is harrased by my dog. Period end of story.
So when I am in Canada and I am traveling in park land where there are Caribou herds in nesting in the winter I will not bring my dog.
Dog's also deserve a certain amount of excersize and to not be holed up in a crate or house all day too. I choose to take him with me in an area where it is accetable to have him.

Amen. Could not have said it better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:07 pm 

I got some poop on my skins this weekend, but I think it was mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:40 am 

sweetlou270 wrote:
I got some poop on my skins this weekend, but I think it was mine

Was that cause you were shitting your pants? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:05 am 

crapping myself over how cold it was Fri & Sat....JESUS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:51 am 

Yeah, no kidding. We tried to go out to No Name. Before we even got to the foot of Russel everyone's exposed skin was turning white. Even covering up your face didn't quite do it. Frigg'in cold. So cold in fact I opted to go rockclimbing in the sun on Sunday. Needed a little change up, back to snowboarding this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:57 am 

I was riding Chair lifts w/ some out of town buddies, so I didn't get to take advantage of the better avy conditions....but....form the sounds of it the tour would've been BRUTAL!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next