Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Malfunction/Pins falling out of Tesla-bindings
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:13 am 

i don't think this is a universal problem, rather a small batch that may have gone wrong. We were out with 7 riders on Tesla's last week for 3 days without a single problem.
I've not heard of this problem here in Europe yet, so it's possible that it's an isolated issue.

It's not a reason not to buy them imo. They are superior to last years bindings, and there was always the possibility of losing or breaking a pin with the old bindings anyway. You could easily bring a small replacement pin or fabricate something with stuff you have in your pack and still get back . it sucks, but is not the end of the world. Spark will get you replacements anyway, because they always do.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:45 pm 

I learned my lesson a couple of years ago when i bought the first batch of Karakorams and the back foot blew out on a run,coming off the board altogether,there was a big thread on it on here too,still rocking the burners from 2 years ago,despite my urge to buy new shit,will wait it out

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:32 pm 

I also lost a pin on my Tesla magneto binding today. I noticed when I went to transition to skin for a second lap. No touring for me until spark can send me a replacement base plate.

Any body else had this or an I unlucky with a dodgy batch?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:59 pm 

I believe that anything coming out of the shop now is got the magnifying glass on them. I was informed that this was a batch which was off on tolerances enough to allow the pins to come out under stress. couple things that could be done to mitigate any risk would be to use a drill press and drill straight down through the top of the baseplate and through the middle of the touring pins and pressfit a spring pin through the whole thing. also, lubing the pin/bushings will keep the friction down a little which may be causing some of these problems. Any misallignment under stress causes failures and thus the risk is higher without having a solid pin to tour with. :twocents: I'll be getting mine soon, so it's definitely worth the risk to me!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:26 am 

Was it an early batch or late batch?

I hope Spark isn't going to just wait for failures to send replacements / address in some way?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:08 am 

Just an update for anyone following this thread, I was with the original
friend who experienced the lost pin (right binding). Today we hiked 700
meters to the top of a chute here in Japan and when he transitioned from
skin to ride mode, the inside pin on his left binding was protruding
enough so that he couldn't lock the toe-ramp down, like andbrown
posted about earlier. He eventually used the other binding to bash the
pin back so that the top-ramp cleared enough.

Not exactly confidence-inspiring.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:03 am 

They clearly need a dowel/pin /grub screw to keep them from falling out.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:25 am 

Thanks for posting the photo Montoya, that is exactly what happened with my binding/pin. Did you find it took at lot of force to smash the pin back into place, and also find that once back in, it's now very much prone to moving again. That was my experience. I was really surprised to find that it had moved in the first place, and then just as surprised to find that it took a signficant amount of force / number of blows to move it back to flush. Once back into place so the binding would slide past the pucks / toe ramp would close, each subsequent lap (I did three more that weekend) I found the pin moved back away from flush after skinning only, but didn't really move when riding.

FYI for everyone else - Spark is pretty great with the customer service in that they responded within a couple of days to my warrant request and then sent some replacements out a couple of days later, but they have yet to arrive - in Los Angeles right now according to the tracking number info. It's now been two weekends without being able to use these bindings. In my case it's OK because avy hazard has been pretty ridiculous here during that time, resort riding has been good, and I do have another set up with Blazes. If that wasn't the case though, and I only had one set up with the nice new, expensive Magnetos, and wanted to be getting out as much as could, I'd be pretty disappointed. Also wish Spark would have acknowledged my questions about how many other cases are like this, and was anything done to fix the problem? As with the Sabretooth crampons and the broken pivot pin, if they're just sending another baseplate that is prone to having the same issue, my viewpoint would change.

Montoya - do you have anything additional to add from your dealings with Spark about this?

montoya wrote:
Just an update for anyone following this thread, I was with the original
friend who experienced the lost pin (right binding). Today we hiked 700
meters to the top of a chute here in Japan and when he transitioned from
skin to ride mode, the inside pin on his left binding was protruding
enough so that he couldn't lock the toe-ramp down, like andbrown
posted about earlier. He eventually used the other binding to bash the
pin back so that the top-ramp cleared enough.

Not exactly confidence-inspiring.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:46 pm 

andbrown, my friend had to bash in the pin pretty hard. Not sure how much it will continue to move as a result -- not something he wants to find out, so he will probably switch back to his LT-pin system bindings for now.

Their customer service is polite. But I have asked a bunch of questions about what caused this malfunction and how to prevent it in the future, and have received no feedback at all regarding what we now feel is a design flaw. Simply, it works -- until it doesn't.

According to tracking, the plates from the original incident are somewhere in transit across the Pacific. I had to put in another warranty claim yesterday, so figure another 2-3 weeks for that also.

andbrown wrote:
Montoya - do you have anything additional to add from your dealings with Spark about this?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:53 pm 

spark sent me a new base plate that arrived in just 3 days. Great customer service!

But..... The new plate has only lasted 2 days. Same problem again! The pin fell out while transitioning. I had to use a bit of wire threaded through the hinge to skin out today.

I think that there is some stress build up while skinning and then it pops out when you release it to transition.

I'm gonna ask spark to change my setup to the blaze.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:31 pm 

I keep noticing all the pics of the pins that are loose have a yellowish/brown tint to them as well as noticeable wear maybe from galling or something. Can anyone post a good clear pic of the pins and the touring brackets please. What color are the touring bracket bushings? Any noticeable wear on them too?

When I made my light pins from hollow stainless steel tubing (the ones I have been using for at least 2 years now), I got some special bushings off of McMaster Carr to install into my brackets. I never had any sign of wear on the bushings nor did I on the hollow touring pins. The bushings I used were a silver color and were bronze with added iron content for hardness and 20-30% oil infused for lubrication. My guess is that either the pins are not perfectly aligned or the bushings are not lubricated enough to withstand the friction from touring. It could also be that the snow melts into the pin/bushing connection and freezes and/or binding isn't pulled out straight, the pins stick to the bushings and pull out of the aluminum. So many possibilities without having this happen to me. My pair will be here on Friday, and it's looking good so far for a tour on Sunday so hopefully it doesn't happen to me. In any case, I'll be bringing a pair of vise grips to repress the pins should they loosen on me.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:20 pm 

Hey all,

Just to note, I've also had this problem with my Afterburners. Front foot (right), left pin (The inwards facing one) slipped out about a millimetre, exactly like Montoya's photo. The pin definitely had a brownish tint to it, rughty. Almost impossible to transition from ride to touring mode, easier going back as you have the heelcup to push on. I've got about 10 fairly light days on the bindings, one overnight which I wondered might have put some ice buildup behind that little lip and forced the pin out or something.

I've passed it to the shop I bought it from to deal with, I need the bindings for some touring next weekend so hope it's fixed by then!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:27 pm 

Its a shame to see such systematic failure on something that can be so easily fixed.
Recall these bindings and grub screw them all spark before your brand is damaged any more.