Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:34 am 

knucklesplitter wrote:

Why the anti-dog-beacon from some though?

Imagine how you would feel if a dog and your best bud get buried in a slide. You go for the nearest signal. You dig up the dog. by the time you get to your partner he is dead. That's a hard thing to live with.

Now I know how aggro some people are about there dogs, and some people would probably rather save a dog. However, if I was out with you both and your dog got buried and I dug up your dog instead of you, I would have a hard time living with myself.

Don't put a beacon on your dog, its disrespectful to your partners and to everyone who is in the back country that day. If you can't live with that, the solution is not to brig him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:36 am 

It's a little different here. EVERY animal fears humans, because in NV no self-respecting redneck can resist shooting any furry/feathered moving object (or rusted abandoned car or bottle sitting on a rock either).

I have seen lots of droppings near my house, but never even glimpsed a deer. The coyotes cruise the gully behind me and don't seem to be too afraid. Both them and we would be better off if they were a little more wary, as there is talk of "doing something about them", since they take an occasional housecat and are such a "danger to small children". :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:39 am 

Knuckle Split, unless the dog is on it's own frequency there is the potential for a partner to go looking for his buried dog instead of his buried partner. Or, if the dog isn't buried but a human is, that dog will need to be caught and his beacon switched off before a search could start.

I understand the points about stressing wildlife etc and my opinion is that it should be considered on a case-by-case basis. We don't all live in places with sensitive wildlife populations but some of us do. Ironically, the places where I've seen snowshoe hairs or their prints, or cat prints, have been near forest roads in the same places that get snowmobile use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:51 am 

bigboater wrote:
Imagine how you would feel if a dog and your best bud get buried in a slide.

He is my "best bud" and often my only BC partner (when avy risk is low). What made me think of a beacon for him is the other day I got buried up to my waist in a small avy. I had left Brodie in the car because Lassen forbids dogs, and I'm sure he would have been buried if he were following me as usual.

Admittedly I would rather somebody dig me out first than him. I am after all a father of two. Something to think about, for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:57 am 

That's fine just make sure you are the only two in 5 mile radius. Think about the affect he could have on other parties that didn't have the oppertunity to agree with with your dicission or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:06 am 

I think I'm starting to agree with you BB. This is why I asked, as a BC dog is new for me this season, and I didn't read all those dog threads on TeleOffTopic.com. Perhaps my philosophy would be to leave the dog at home when there is risk to him, such as avy or terrain, and also when he could be significant problem for wildlife. No beacon for the dog unless it's on its own frequency.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:19 am 

Did Utahgirl's post just disappear?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:19 am 

[quote=" If that Lynx is a pregnant female, it can mean the survival of the species in that area. Dogs love chasing rabbits, no self respecting hound can resist. You might think that it's only rabbit and not an endangered species, but that Rabbit might be what the Lynx need for survival.[/quote]

Hey MBH, are you suggesting that if a rabbit gets chased a few hundred yards it will abandon its territory? Will it get together with the other bunnies and form a huge rabbit migration? When rabbits migrate do they turn crazy like locusts and start eating everything in sight? That might be the bigger danger - swarming, bloodthirsty gangs of rabbits who invade the cities in order to evade dogs in the backcountry. (Reminds me of a certain rabbit scene from the Holy Grail)

I have to agree with patroller420. It seems hypocritical for the most savage, successful, and overrun predator that has ever existed on the earth to complain about the impact of a few dogs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:21 am 

It's back. That was weird.

Nuh-ahhh Ugirl. The T-rex was the most savage. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:22 am 

the mighty bighorn wrote:
Well, I'm not a biologist, and yeah sure a dog probably doesn't smell exactly like a wolf. But your dogs scent most definetly lingers and without a doubt has an affect. As far as human scent goes, in most cases it would trigger a flee response in most ungulates. Our Caribou are protected by law and not hunted. When I have encountered the Caribou they have not fled.

As far as small animals go I wonder if you have ever heard of the classic Lynx/ Snowshoe Hare predator-prey relationship. It is a well documented and studied relation. The hare go through population peaks and crashes which the lynx follow. In a crash year many Lynx starve and it can take years for the population to recover. In a crash year, a single Snowshoe Hare can make all the difference to a Lynx's winter survival. If that Lynx is a pregnant female, it can mean the survival of the species in that area. Dogs love chasing rabbits, no self respecting hound can resist. You might think that it's only rabbit and not an endangered species, but that Rabbit might be what the Lynx need for survival.

Ummm isn't a rabbit going to run from a Lynx too? :roll:

I have yet to see a Lynx out here either. Maybe they do exist but in the ranges I travel, it's more likely I am going to see a Unicorn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:35 am 

knucklesplitter wrote:
The T-rex was the most savage. :roll:

No my friend you got it all wrong, those in the know are now saying T-rex was a scavenger. Sorry to drift OT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:36 am 

Sorry, I seem to lack the necessary skills/IQ to do the quote box thing right.

BTW no offense to MBH. Im just giving you a hard time because your ecosystem situation is so different than mine. Dogs in Utah are limited to such small, already human-infested areas due to the watershed laws that to outline their proportionally tiny enviornmental impact (when compared to all the rednecks on snowmobiles and ATVs) would be ludicrous.

Oh no, now I've offended the rednecks! These apologies could go on all day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:41 am 

I still think humans win most savage. At least T-rex kills to eat. Humans kill for fun and often indiscriminantly.

Still, we definitely should not allow ANY T-rexes in the backcountry!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next