Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2013/14 Greater Yellowstone Shred Thread: Conditions, Stoke
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:25 am 

Great conditions in Cooke over the weekend! Tons of new snow, minimal wind effect... top 5 pow days of the year for sure. Facets found 40-50cm down @ 10k', reactive but not propagating. Even the most convex, windloaded pillows I could find took quite a bit of stomping to fully release. This does not exactly jive with what other folks are finding in the area... spacial variability is a funny thing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:11 am 

Rad. Thanks for the report, Nick.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:32 pm 

N Bridgers are looking good. Toured the zone between wolverine and Ross sat and the throne sunday. Experienced some small shooting cracks (only 5-7 ft) on wind slabs but things were pretty locked up aside from wind deposits. ECTN in wolverine NE aspect ~ 7800 ft. Two pits on the throne (E aspect, ~8400ft) yielded ECTN again. Rutschblock R4, Q2. Failed at the interface between last week's snow and friday night's storm. Not a consolidated slab that failed, just difference in density. We observed a crust underneath all the new snow (~2ft on the throne) w/ a small layer of nonreactive facets under this crust. This weak layer was nonreactive in all tests and appeared to be decently well bonded. 265cm base where we dug so we didn't even bother checking for facets near the ground....they could still be around in places.

Bottom line: N Bridgers are full of ice and incredibly unstable. Don't waste your time in there :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:20 pm 

nice sounds good to me. skiied the banana clr last monday. dug around in the playground.. seems to be trending towards stabilization.. but who knows, havent been up to the hill since saturday's gang bang.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:31 am 

Wow :thumpsup: This looks great i'll let my bro know, (he's waffleing about the trip). I'd love to make it up for 3 or 4 daze of pow.. Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:56 pm 

Tell your bro to turn off the waffle maker and load up the truck! basically hasnt stopped snowin since january..

Hyalite is in prime condition right now.. instabilities aside. if you enjoy snake runs, the word of the day is Blackmore. Winds calm/nonexistant from the lake all the way to the floor of the bowl. Woods got the goods.. Cliff bands have deep landings.. Best midwinter ive experienced in a couple years. probly tourin near Ross pass tomoro if any of you knuck draggers are hungry for some freshies.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:14 pm 

Just a quick N Bridgers update. Spent the past 4 days touring all over between wolverine and sac. Stability is checkerboard. Many slopes are super stable, both in pit test results and real life. In general, wind slab worries are more prevalent in the higher alpine near naya nuki and sac. Worrysome facet layer at the thaw crust from a week or so back is also more widespread and unstable N of Ross. Rode off Ross a few days back and checked out the banana while up there. Roped up for shits and giggles whilst digging right below the trees at the entrance. ~3 ft of snow with various wind slabs atop one another. ECTP 10 with a textbook Q1 sheer. Top layer gave which triggered the next slab down which triggered the whole column resulting in a spring loaded collapse at the ground facets. I immediately put the dog on belay and my partner and I stayed roped as we bootpacked out. Scary stuff....leave a suicide note if you intend to ride this one from the top anytime soon.

On the bright side, N of the boundary all the way to Ross is pretty stable (ECTN in 6 separate pits over the past 4 days) aside from windslabs near the ridge.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:00 am 

greg.doctor wrote:
...leave a suicide note if you intend to ride this one from the top anytime soon.

Thanks for the concise N. Bridgers report, Doc. I can cross the Banana off my end of February bucket list then I see. There's always March I guess. Damn.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:05 pm 

Yeah, Banana from the top is prob a no go for a little while at least. Could boot pack up below the windslabs if you're into hanging out in big slide paths below wind slabs.

2 pits on the throne today yielded ECTN. Naya nuki bowl is loaded as shit. History rock is throughly tracked (duh).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:27 pm 

greg.doctor wrote:
Yeah, Banana from the top is prob a no go for a little while at least. Could boot pack up below the windslabs if you're into hanging out in big slide paths below wind slabs.

I don't write suicide notes ; ) I've just been putting my nordic skis to good use cruising forest service roads and enjoying snow that's not on slopes at all so far this winter. I just like to be outside!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:40 am 

thanks for the notes, greg. sounds tricky anywhere north of the pass. glad i got up ross before this new storm cycle.

found some fun trees and plenty of cornices to fuck with on the north side of ellis yesterday.. tons of wind and obvious windloading on that northeast side. Heavily forested except for the ridgeline.. Nice skidder track that allowed for some deep turns coming down. and log jibs if youre into that kind of thing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:45 am 

nordicbordn wrote:
t...north side of ellis...

Did you access from the town side through the State Land or the Bear Canyon side through New World?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:18 pm 

town side.. state land on end of mt ellis rd. worked out well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next