Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2014 Wasatch Splitfest
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:59 am 

Save the date: The 2014 Wasatch Splitfest is scheduled for Thursday, February 13th through February 16th, 2014, in Salt Lake City, Utah, USA. More info soon...

Post subject: Re: 2014 Wasatch Splitfest
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:55 pm 

Hey now - is the event still happening?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:10 pm 

Yes, the splitfest is on, we'll have a complete events schedule out in the next day or two. You can check out progress on our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/WasatchSplitfe ... n=timeline
More posted here soon!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:49 am 

If anyone is travelling in from afar - I have a couch thats open. Roughly 35 minute drive to event. PM me - last year was smooth and chill - these guys put on a great event !!!

To those of yah new to the area - some websites to check out:

wasatchbackcountryskiing.com

utahavalanchecenter.org

!!!THINK SNOW!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:32 pm 

Below is the schedule of events for the 2014 Wasatch Splitfest:

Thanks to all of our partners, and here's some additional info:

-The morning meetups are informal, unguided, and DIY. You are responsible for your own gear, touring objectives, terrain choices, route finding, partner choices, risk tolerance, and decision making. That said, please feel welcome regardless of your experience level, as you likely will be able to find some fellow splitboarders to tour with. If you are newbie, or have special concerns, please give me a shout-out and we'll talk! Thursday we'll meet at Alta, and Friday/Sat/Sunday we'll meet at Big Cottonwood Park and Ride overflow parking, which is the gravel roadside parking on Ft Union Blvd, WEST (not east) of the Canyon Inn and Porcupine.

-We will be having demo gear from several manufacturers, which will be available to get your hands on during our evening/afternoon events. Stay tuned for more info on that.

-The donated gear for our raffle/auction is still coming in and you can check out the latest on that on our facebook page.

-And thanks to all you splitboard.com folks and Chris G aka bcrider for providing us a place to blab about our event here!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:11 am 

If anyone is traveling out here, and needs a place to crash, I have two bedrooms and a large rec room to offer up, and a hammock stand, and hammock anchors in walls in basement. If it snows real hard, I only have parking for three to four additional vehicles, but could leave some down hill at the grocery store. I am in Bountiful, about thirty minutes or so from the meetup spots.
Drop a line at ate oh juan too hundred too five juan tree.
:scratch:
Someone told me that was the right way to do that on forums once, and it sticks. I still do it. :rock:

And since I am funemployed, I will be going to as much as I can, for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:31 pm 

I hope people are aware this is going on this week. The events section doesn't get frequented very much. I didn't even hear about it till last week from a work friend.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:59 pm 

White Pine it's true, this thread didn't get a lot of traction - BUT props to Bucky and others for putting themselves out there to make it go. I think part of it is the lack luster winter we've had and the subsequent lack of stoke it's generated. Look at the Utah conditions thread, it's been all of ten, or so people posting the entire season. Regardless, I'm sure it will be a fun couple of days.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:11 pm 

Yeah and I haven't helped much. I've just been lurking and living vicariously through everyone else's trips. I plan on hitting some of the evening events but I won't be touring. As you saw last year I was pretty slow and grad school has only further degraded my fitness. It becomes a safety issue. Thanks to everyone you puts these things on. Hopefully it will be even more successful than last year.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:26 pm 

I'm heading that way on Thursday and doing slideshow presentations @ Wasatch Touring on Thursday night as well as at at the Saturday night presentation. I will be around for a week and am very excited as I had a blast last year and there is POW in the foreseeable future.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:41 pm 

WhitePine wrote:
Yeah and I haven't helped much. I've just been lurking and living vicariously through everyone else's trips. I plan on hitting some of the evening events but I won't be touring. As you saw last year I was pretty slow and grad school has only further degraded my fitness. It becomes a safety issue. Thanks to everyone you puts these things on. Hopefully it will be even more successful than last year.
You weren't that slow, but I feel what you're saying. I've been nursing a compressed disk since August and when I've toured with others I've made it clear I could become a liability. No surprise everyone was super supportive and waited for me. That said, I'm doing a brief dawn patrol tomorrow and if there is any pain I'll be sitting out on the touring as well.

Welcome Kyle! I was really looking forward to riding with you this year, but alas I'll probably only see you at the evening events.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:53 pm 

Pleased to announce the Speaker Information for the Saturday night, February 15th 2014, Wasatch Splitfest event at Canyon Inn:

Utah Avalanche Center forecaster (and splitboard inventor) Brett Kobernik will be giving a talk on the current state of the Wasatch snowpack. We are in the midst of a significantly touchy snowpack at present. Brett will recap our season history and share his insights. Come educate yourself about what we are dealing with out there.

Snowboard Ambassador Kyle Miller will be giving a talk on his remarkable American Alps Traverse. During the first half of June 2013, Kyle completed this 120-mile splitboard traverse of the crest of the North and Central Cascades with partner Jason Hummel. Come hear Mr. Miller regale us with tales of this unprecedented linkup of several classic traverses.

Splitboarding meteorology student and powder aficionado Matt Jeglum will present "What Makes a Place Get a Lot of Snow?" Matt will provide his thoughts on why locations like Japan, British Columbia, and our beloved Wasatch tend to be particularly favored by the white nectar. He'll also share some observations on the relationship between avalanche activity and the last snowfall.

We will get the presentations started at 7 PM, and wrap them up by a bit after 8PM. By 8:30 we will get into our Raffle/Auction, and be finished up around 9PM with the ceremonies.

The Raffle/Auction will consist of a couple splitboards from Voile and Chimera, outerwear from Arc'teryx and Eddie Bauer, layers from Patagonia, a set of custom Afterburners by Spark R&D, gloves from local outfit Hand Out Gloves, rope from Imlay Canyon Gear, and more! Attendance is free. The Canyon Inn is a bar with drinks and cheap eats. You can buy raffle tickets and bid on the Silent Auction starting at 7PM. All raffle and auction proceeds go to the Utah Avalanche Center.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:19 pm 

We've also got demo gear that will be available for free use during the 2014 Wasatch Splitfest, including:

-Four Prior Splitboards (166 Fissile, 161 BC Split, 154 Brandywine (women's specific), and a 172 Swallowtail)
-Three sets of Spark R&D bindings (Magneto medium, Afterburner medium, and Afterburner large)
-A tasty selection of locally-made Chimera Backcountry Snowboards
-And also I think we got a set of Phantom hardboot bindings

You can come by the evening events this Thursday, Friday, or Saturday, to see the demo gear and arrange demoing the gear with the manufacturer reps, then take the gear out touring the next day, and return it that evening.

Or if you want to reserve any of the demo gear before that, hit me up here on sb.com and I'll do my best to get you sorted out. We've got some extra skins and poles and such as well, so if you need that kinda stuff to round out your gear for touring, lemme know and again we'll see what we can do - we'd love to give people a chance to try out splitboarding, if you've never had a chance to do it before.