Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: UTAH 2013/2014 Conditions
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:47 pm 

Vibes for the injured skiist, but Tanners? yesterday? really? Oh well, I suppose I've done my fair share of fukyerdum

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:30 pm 

Don't know if anyone say but an injured hiked buried down in Timple Fork today. Doesn't sound good from what they were saying on the police scanner.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:31 pm 

yeah UTAH fun shreddin with ya'll today...good times!
KR,UTAH,Dan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:59 am 

mar123 wrote:
yeah UTAH fun shreddin with ya'll today...good times!

is that stagger lee?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:52 pm 

[/quote]is that stagger lee?[/quote]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:53 pm 

is anyone having problems with the snotel site?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:13 pm 

SwitchBack wrote:
is anyone having problems with the snotel site?
Yep, been unreachable since yesterday

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:12 am 

wasatch surf wrote:
is that stagger lee?

Hey Dan - Nope I was riding lifts with my wife. I've been meaning to reconnect with everyone on here but have been a bit of a weird-o loner for some reason.

I'm hoping to catch up and shred with everyone at splitfest, but I broke a toe this weekend. Not sure how that's gonna work out.

:thumbsdown:

Does anyone have experience with broken toes and splitting? How long before you were able to resume skinning? I was able to ride pow with relatively little pain but kicking around the lift lines was very hurty (I didn't realize I had a broken toe at the time). It's worsened since then.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:43 am 

Stagger Lee wrote:

Does anyone have experience with broken toes and splitting? How long before you were able to resume skinning? I was able to ride pow with relatively little pain but kicking around the lift lines was very hurty (I didn't realize I had a broken toe at the time). It's worsened since then.

Damn I didn't think it looked quite like you but couldn't tell for sure. bummer on the toe, I haven't broken a toe in recent years so i'm not sure how that would be skinning. my guess is kind of shitty. oh well if this avalanche danger keeps up we all might be riding chairs for splitfest anyway!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:23 pm 

No no no, u shall be skinning underneath the chairs, not riding them! I'm sure it will be a good time, though I won't be here. Wish I was so I could meet a bunch of u.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:53 pm 

just in case people hadn't seen this yet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:17 pm 

So I was looking at the obs on UAC site and it got me thinking, how does everyone feel about cornice dropping, cutting, kicking, etc.?

Do you do it, Why?

If not, why?

My thoughts. Thinking back to the few times I've done/considered doing it, I don't recall a concrete intention. So, I doubt I'd do it again. Primarily because of safety to others, but it seems a shame that an entire season's snowpack can be lost, without the opportunity to stabilize and no guarantee of getting it back.

If the plan is to ride a certain slope, isn't it more prudent to perform stability tests, follow the snowpack throughout the season, stay on top of weather conditions and obs from the avy center. I mean if something is so skecth as to pullout the entire slope should it not have showed up in the above available information and tests?
Are we fooling ourselves to even have considered riding something this sketch, and if so why cut it? OR is this a final check when all other info has given a green light? (personally this seems an unlikely combination, but that is why I'm asking...)

Anyways, just curious. What do you think? what am I overlooking?

Yes I'm bored

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:43 pm 

I don't run around stomping every cornice I see, but I do kick them occasionally. My reasoning (some of which was given to me by avy course instructors, so not necessarily "mine":

It's one of the best tests for testing a particular slopes stability. A couple hundred pounds of snow falling at once packs a lot of punch, similar to what riding the slope would do. According to my Avy 1 instructor, after a bomb a properly dropped cornice is the biggest shock you can give to a snowpack.

It's way faster than digging a full pit, and for some types of avalanche problems, tells you as much if not more. For a persistent weak layer or deep slab, it's not gonna tell you a whole lot probably; for storm snow instabilities and wind slabs, it's very helpful.

I've never kicked one expecting or hoping for the whole hill to break, more seeing if any pockets might be sensitive and pop. This is especially useful in terrain where getting caught or just knocked off your feet in a small slide would be bad.

I would say it's a final check if everything else seems good, like a slope cut.

With that said, I'd say it would have been pointless to be out dropping cornices this past weekend.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 24  Next