Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A new reason to bring your dog into the backcountry
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:09 pm 

If you're skinning at 5am in the dark alone in montana your dog can tree a bobcat for you!!! Trust me it happened this morning. Kinda eerie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:46 pm 

two nights ago i was walking my dogs around 10:00 pm. we were being stalked by a pack of coyotes. the dogs were going ape shit!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:08 pm 

Years ago, my dog and I were hiking through an avy-felled aspen stand near Independence Pass. I was following her as she charted our balance beam course, just cruising along tree-to-tree, 5' off the ground. I looked to my left to see a coyote, a few trees over, travelling the other way!:shock: Guess I was the only one not focused on the task, cause neither canine stopped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:52 am 

I'm don't want to flame your post, but this exactly why you should leave your dog at home!. I'm a dog lover, I own 10 dogs, but I always leave them out of the BC. Allowing your dog to harass wildlife is just plainly irresponsible. A bobcat is not a danger to you, if your dog had not chased it, it would have remained hidden until you passed.

What's more, dogs cannot be trained for safe BC travel. I've seen a dog killed from a ridge top fall. That kind of ruined the day. I've also spent many hours looking for dogs who have fallen into tree wells or who've become lost on descents.

Finally, there is nothing worse than your dog's shit on my skins...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:59 am 

the mighty bighorn wrote:

Finally, there is nothing worse than your dog's shit on my skins...

That's the real reason isn't it? You had a shitty time last time you went out with a dog! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:24 am 

I agree with MBH that it is uncool to harass wildlife in the BC. Bobcats, bears, and coyotes are no threat whatsoever to humans and they have enough to worry about already (unless they've been fed of course - fed bear = dead bear). Not that big a deal, but I think it should be avoided.

But... dogs rule in the BC with their quadrapedal design - much more stable than ours.
(Gimpy and Buddy, photo by Joesnow)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:25 pm 

Ok I guess I could no find the sarcasm font :wink: . Saying that my dog treed the cat was misleading. I had seen tracks and scat the whole way up and when I noticed my dog head off trail to snif some off those tracks I shot my headlamp in the area and saw the eyes in the tree. No barking, hissing or anything like that going on. I moved on pretty quickly and kept the dog away from where I saw he cat. I'm all for keeping the wild wild, after all that is why I choose to live in a place that has bears, cats, wolves(which my dog is a quarter) etc...... I knew it was only a matter of time before someone mentioned the whole dogs in the backcountry debate but I don't even wanna get into that.

Mighty Bighorn- BTW, I was near your neck of the woods last weekend. Great area, wish I would have had better visibilty, but new snow is always nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:48 pm 

Touring with your dogs is the best! Fun for the whole family. My dogs are the reason I left the resorts in the first place.

Hey knucklesplitter - that's an amazing picture. It truly captures mutual joy. I grew up in Reno (Mt Rose and Sugarbowl). Where is that shot?

By the way, I always pick up the dog poop and leave no trace. I want everyone to be happy. No big deal.
And as far as the risk to the dogs, here's what I figure:
I know that I'm risking my life everytime I go into the BC but it's worth the risk to me and I'm willing to take it. I'd rather live my life to the fullest and die in the BC than live to be 80 sitting on the couch.
I guess I have the same philosophy for my dogs. Nothing makes them happier than to run free off leash in the snow. My dogs are sooo happy when they go touring with me. Dogs live in the moment. I think they would rather live a healthy, exhilarating life with the possible risk of it being cut short than sit around depressed and fat at home all day.

Peace. No offense to all the fatsos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:40 pm 

Oops, that's not my photo. I believe Joesnow took it at Horse Creek Peak outside of Bridgeport. Here's the TR:
http://www.splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=620&start=0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:51 pm 

Must be something in the air, took my huskies out last night to Misson Trails, a typical urban open space that peoplego to mountain bike, hike , ect. We were coming down the trail and my dogs were leashless running free and I hear the sound of coyotes. look down the trail and their were four of them, playing haveing a good time. I made sure I made some noise so there wouldnt be a supprise when they saw us. Three of them ran into the brush but one came within 25 feet of my male husky. He took off for a minute chasing the coyote , but I called him back. He turned around and the coyote started following. I would walk about 100 yards, squat down and the coyote would come up within 50 feet and stop. I walked another 100 yards,turn and he was still there. All the way back to the car. Didnt feel threatened or anything, just thought it was great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:14 pm 

You are aware that coyotes are totally evil as far as your dog is concerned. They will go as far as to play with your pooch to lure them away from you. They will then gang up and kill you dog. It happens quite frequently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:53 pm 

Maybe, but they dont scare me. I dont mind walking into them and trying to kick the shit out of them. Dont get me wrong, I love coyotes and love seeing them in the city, but thats just it I live in the city and in Southern Cal, you may find one in your garage. Just like rattlesnakes. Fire department is always going out to get a rattlesnake out of someone house. Oh yeah mountain lions. Loose a person every 2-3 years to one of those. And I mean in the city.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:55 pm 

knucklesplitter wrote:
Bobcats, bears, and coyotes are no threat whatsoever to humans and they have enough to worry about already (unless they've been fed of course - fed bear = dead bear).

Maybe it should be a fed bear = a dead human...no need to kill animals to let a stupid human live