Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2013-2014 snow conditions
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:55 pm 

pretty silly snow out of this one good storm!!!! easily riding knee to thigh deep, making skinning a chore but so worth it. this new load looks fairly bonded despite what others have said... I hear we are expecting more over this coming week. KEEP IT COMING!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:58 pm 

cometogether wrote:
this new load looks fairly bonded despite what others have said...
Not here. I was puckered all weekend. Set off multiple shoot cracks, lots of collapsing, and saw multiple remote triggers. I wouldn't assume anything is bonding unless you are super confident. Maybe you guys are different then us down here. But the previous snowpack for us was complete shite, and its not bonding well.

A few times I was sitting on 20-25 degree slopes, and whole thing collapsed under me. After my bum came down from my throat, I pulled out my slope meter and verified it was <25 degrees, but it was sketchy out there.

Also dug a pit on a SW aspect below treeline to see if persistent slab was there. Found 2' of new snow on 1ft of facets on it. ECT got a ECT16Q2 to fail 1/2 way down the facet layer. I wasn't having it so backed off.

I mostly rode meadows < 30 degrees, and never ventured over 35 degrees all weekend, because it was terrifying. Not even tree riding over 35 degrees for me. If you guys have a bond, awesome, but right now, we look like everything is ready to pop.

I did like the snow though and I had a super fun weekend playing in it :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:19 pm 

Monarch Pass trees were exceptional over the weekend. 180cm depth on the lower skintrack. Quick check on Saturday showed around a foot or two of fist followed by a couple feet of progressively stiffer snow down to a finger, then a couple feet of sugar. We got numerous settlements and some shooting cracks, and saw a couple slabs on E aspects below TL (one was 4+ feet deep). One small slab near the current powerlines on a W aspect too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:41 am 

Here's some shots of the weekend. About 2' of new snow on top of facet layer created a lot of cool avalanches. I chose to stick to low angle terrain, even out of trees. A few people were able to ski some avalanche paths on things that had been previously skied a lot.

Bones get broke, a converted skier from splitboarding, still ripping it.

Pumphouse

And lots of avalanches

Which led to a day of meadow skipping

Pit results, SW aspect 11,600' ECT16Q2 failure in facet layer

CDOT work, couldn't imagine going through this cheese grater. Avalanche carried over the road

SE Aspect, at approx 11,000', CDOT initiated I believe

Notice the sympathetic, small slope

Skier triggered remote avalanche, NW aspect around 9,800'. Remote around 50' away, notice the shooting crack across.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:48 am 

I'm not saying green light spring set here I'm just saying for me, and the spots I frequent there are a handful of nice options out there.

to each his own--

got my first resort day of the year at monarch on Saturday and it was silly fun, since the entire state was RED I took the easy path--the chairlift :lol: shit is too easy and I forgot how tense people are when the powder fields get smaller every lap up, its like a race and I don't like that anymore.. glad to be back out touring sunday. :doobie: Got some new gear coming and cant wait to get back out! stupid job :nononno:

SG nice pics- that storm layer is moving!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:01 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:45 pm 

Best thing from that video:
Quote:
Classic san juan junkshow

Enough said...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:59 pm 

Great shots of the avy activity. Fun lurking on your guys's thread.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:59 pm 

Great shots of the avy activity. Fun lurking on your guys's thread.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:47 pm 

Some pics.

Splitrippin role call!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:50 pm 

Does anyone have any beta for quick tours around the CB area? Preferably something in the trees, aspens would be sweet (we don't get a lot of that around here). Going to be probably up there next week, and might want to do a quick tour on Sunday before coming back. I won't have the sleds up there for access (too much gas), but I know that would help out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:05 pm 

summersgone wrote:
Does anyone have any beta for quick tours around the CB area? Preferably something in the trees, aspens would be sweet (we don't get a lot of that around here). Going to be probably up there next week, and might want to do a quick tour on Sunday before coming back. I won't have the sleds up there for access (too much gas), but I know that would help out.

I was down there a few years ago and we went around Coney Ridge just NW of town. Drove out Washington Gulch Rd until the gate. I remember them being shorter easy tree runs. It's a quick option.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:01 am 

Made it up to CB this past weekend. 2 days on the resort, one short day in the backcountry. If you haven't rode CB mountain, you should make a chance too. It was my first time. It was good to get onto steep terrain. Snow was overall pretty good, but wind affected. On the way back into Silverton, noticed some progressive tracks, so looks like stability is increasing in the San Juan zone, or people are taking the chance on the persistent slab.

Nice zone up Slate River Road. About 10 tracks out there.

Coneys, where we skied, up Washington Gulch. NE aspect, around 10,800. It was pretty easy and straight forward, good amount of protection, and never really getting much about 35 degrees. Exit was sorta sucky for a splitboard on the way out. But good for a 1 and done tour to get back.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next