Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Elan Wave rider split?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:45 pm 

Has anyone heard of anyone or knows anyone that has heard anything from anyone regarding this board....
http://www.elansnowboards.com/en/collec ... ider-split

I have 2 Elan boards in my quiver Vertigo and a freestyle board i gave my wife "remember when Homer gave Marge a bowling ball" i really like those boards but i would not buy a split without some firsthand knowledge...

Post subject: Re: Elan Wave rider split?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:21 pm 

I dunno man, theyre telling you to ge out there and get groovy ... :shock:

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:45 am 

I am a fan of the Wave Rider and quality of Elan. 2 seasons ago, there were some Elans on closeout from some online retailers. I bought a 164 Wave Rider and liked it so much I snatched up what was left before they were gone. Only one dealer in the USA that I could find. Now they only offer it in a split which seems odd as the Wave Rider is an absolute ripper as a solid. Great daily driver that shines in powder and can rail some groomers on the way to the goods. That said, I would think the split version is a very capable ride.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:02 pm 

Elan was producing Jones boards for a while, but they had a ton of issues with production and quality. That is why they switched to Nidecker. Since the switch there has been Jones has had a lot less issue with their quality. Not sure if that will translate over to their own splits, but would make me a little nervous if I was going to give them a try.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:06 pm 

Someone please step in if I am wrong, but the Jones 1.0 and 2.0 were manufactured in the minor league Nidecker factory in Tunisia. I saw a few of these boards and most would not have made it out of the Elan factory in Austria. The 3.0 and 4.0 boards from Jones have been moved to a factory in Europe. I know of no ties between Elan and Jones, unless Nidecker and Elan share the same factory in Austria. All five of my Wave Riders were made in Austria of the utmost quality. Those first 2 years of Jones boards produced quite a few turds, and the only way to polish a turd is to move manufacturing to Europe.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:24 pm 

Hi Permnation,

Sorry my information was incorrect. I work for an online retailer who has always carried Jones, and the person who purchases skis and boards told me their history when they were having problems. I thought I remembered everything correctly, but I WAS WRONG. I re asked the question to him. He said there was a short time between Tunisia where the boards were being out sourced to Elan (sounds like a few boards as all) not worth mentioning or blaming on the beginning production problems.

Sorry for the misinformation guys.