Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:00 pm Posts: 291 Location: Sacramento, CA
I wanted to tease everyone about the greatest leap forward in avalanche beacon technology. I was at the Outdoor Retailer tradeshow in Salt Lake City, Utah where Barryvox presented the new Pulse transceiver with a very strong response. There is so much innovation in this beacon that I can't cover it all, but I'll describe the best features.
First, the direction arrows work on a 360 degree axis and behaves much like a compass, not 180 degrees like the current crop of digital beacons... no more going the wrong direction on the fluxline.
Second, it's the only beacon that has 3 antennas, and is both analog and digital with the same custom programability like the current Barryvox. With 3 antennas and a simplified DSP it offers the highest precision distinguishing and isolating victims in multiple barrials and has a very simple and cleverly thought out display.
Third, if all in a party were using this device, it has the ability to registure vitals or perform a triage to indicate priority on recovery. It utilzes a motion sensor that can detect heartbeat, breathing, or small movement. In a senario of 2 barried victims with one registuring vitals and one not... it indicates with a given icon on the screen that there's a victim not registuring vitals (15% chance of survival) and may be potentially dead due to trama during the slide (i.e. raked through trees). The one that is registuring has an 85% chance of living which may give this victim priorty on recovery... cicumstancial (I stress may). It can also share search info with other Pulse beacons being used during a search to maximize search time using a W-Link. This shares recovery info with everyone in search mode.
These are just some of the awesome details. Please respond with any thoughts or questions that are not addressed here or are not clear with what was said. Cheers. P.S. with all this tech... if it fails in the field it defaults to an analog beacon - ala F1.
I think I may have some goofed spelling... sorry!