Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Karhu metas as approach skis
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:15 pm 

If anyone has seen the recent issue Backcountry, there's a pretty good write up on using the Karhu Meta recreational skis as approach skis with a little modifactions. I'm thinking about picking up a pair - the dimensions seem to be right on for a solid approach ski. As far as the binding goes, i would probably just use the bindings it comes with with my soft boots... Anyone out there use these boards as approach skis? What do you think? How about with the stock bindings - how do they perform, durability, etc???
Brett

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:44 am 

I had them and sold them to buy a splitboard. They work. But do do serious ascents you'd have to put skins on cause they built in skin is not enough. If its your onl;y option, then go for it. But if not, dont bother.

I read the article in Backcountry and thought it to be, IMO, pretty dumb. Why not use a splitboard?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:56 am 

what affix snow said!

ps. welcome breschneid! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:45 am 

affix snow wrote:
I read the article in Backcountry and thought it to be, IMO, pretty dumb. Why not use a splitboard?

I've never used approach skis and wasn't going to respond but after reading affix's comment I had to chim in and agree about the dumbness of the article. The whole premise advocating their use was that us lower 48 folks only do 1,000 foot yo yos. Give me a break. Besides, even if I was only do 1,000 foot yo yos, who wants 4-foot long and 5-pound antenas on their back. Especially if it's a powpow yo yo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:26 am 

extra weight/bulk on your back or under your feet? that is the question you'll have to answer for yourself.

if approach ski's where "the thing" then we'd be posting on approachskis.com, right? they're completely useless compared to what else is available on the market these days. you're better off cutting some cross-country ski's down and fixing some sort of binding to them to save yourself a few bucks. split your own board, or have one split at a shop instead. the ski's would only be good on the yoyo's with very defined and rather mellow skin tracks (not slushmans)...... and the rest of what ecobrad said.

it's funny that most of the approaches around this area are quite long; where these ski's would be even less usefull. i don't think we need innovative approach ski's popping up on the market. innovate with a real tool: a splitboard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:15 am 

Wow, not too many approach ski fans out there...
Why not use a splitboard? Because i can get a pair of approach skis and outfit them with wall-to-wall skins throught the shop i work for for a fraction of the cost of a splitboard w/ hardwear. I need to figure something out for a trip to the Sawtooths in 5 weeks, and while a split would be ideal, the costs dictate that i go with the approach skis. Besides, they're better than snowshoes, which is what i've got to work with now. So until the day i invest in a split, approach skis will be a good-enough solution to the problem, dont you think?? I've considered splitting an old board, but the thought of traversing an icy or hardpack slope with only one metal edge in the snowpack doesnt seem to enticing.
I guess i'm barking up the wrong tree for approach ski advice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:29 am 

breschneid wrote:
I guess i'm barking up the wrong tree for approach ski advice!

If you work at a shop...split your board and get the tech to put in an edge for you!!!!
Still cheaper! :D

OK seriously.... If ya have to go wth the karhu meta. Real wide and damp and very stable. I beat the snot out of them and they held up. Just doublecheck all the binding hardwear is tight...seemed to loosen up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:36 pm 

i used the k2 approach ski for two seasons, they work. but i seriously considered going back to slowshoes, before i got the split. they do traverse better than the shoes, but on ice they suck. oh, and the durability of the binding is shit. i re-vamped mine to be much more reliable, but then they weighed twice as much. as far as the diy, it will traverse anything waaaay better than those little ski's. i have a diy and a factory 73 freeride and i do not notice any diff. as far as climbing and traversing. the edge missing is not an issue. i am not sure why people don't understand this! saves a ton of cash too. i would like to get my hands on a mtn. gun though, or the capped pilot board kharma surf was sporting a few weeks ago, snappy!
DIY, you won't regret it and if you work at a shop the cost should be relatively close.
where are you headed in the sawtooths? i spent four days in the williams peak area last week. if you are headed that direction take a split. i have been there on approach skis and it was the scarriest thing i have ever endured. the snow will be killer, have fun :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:00 pm 

Quote:
...as far as climbing and traversing. the edge missing is not an issue. i am not sure why people don't understand this!

ditto, that's been my experience as well. I've been on tours w/ a mix of diy and factory splits and having the extra "edge" had nothing to do with those you traversed better than others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:45 am 

I read the article twice, just bc I thought I was daft by thinking "why lug snowshoes or approach skis when you can use a splitboard?". so the second read was to make sure it was silly.

Glad to hear I am not the only one who felt the same. I need to go back and check to see if there was a Karhu ad in that issue. That might splain the article's presence. ;)

If money is an issue, I'd just stick with snowshoes... a basic set if less $ than than those clunkers, and much less to worry about (no skin issues), they must be lighter and easier to stow, and they're proven technology used for hundreds of years by norwegians, eskimoes and mtn men alike. :lol:

then save up for a prior.