Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What sleeping bag for winter camping?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:02 pm 

Well, the question is how low should I go? Right now I have a good deal for this - http://www.deuter.com/en/DE/product/6-8 ... 0Grad.html 600g of 675 grade (European!) down. From what I gather this may be a bit too low, but everything higher progressively goes out of budget.
I don't want something expedition rated, but something that I can comfortably sleep with in a snow pit. Usually I don't get too cold when sleeping.

P.S. Oh, and it must be down, as I am a weight weenie!

Post subject: Re: What sleeping bag for winter camping?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:05 pm 

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Sleeping- ... er-Reviews

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:36 pm 

moridinbg wrote:
Well, the question is how low should I go? Right now I have a good deal for this - http://www.deuter.com/en/DE/product/6-8 ... 0Grad.html 600g of 675 grade (European!) down. From what I gather this may be a bit too low, but everything higher progressively goes out of budget.
I don't want something expedition rated, but something that I can comfortably sleep with in a snow pit. Usually I don't get too cold when sleeping.

P.S. Oh, and it must be down, as I am a weight weenie!

A book could be written….

If you are that cash strapped, this will probably be fine, but have at least 150g top insulation w/ hood and 80g bottom insulation (puffy pants) and the means to prepare a hot water bottle (metal SIGG in a wool sock) to get you through colder spots. Very difficult to say what's appropriate without knowing where you plan on going with it. Sierras vs. Wasatch vs. Canadian Rockies vs. …… all different.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:00 pm 

We need to know what kind of climate you're in

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:21 pm 

European climate, which can be very varying. Most of the places I envision going don't usually go much lower than -15C/5F. Budget is definitely constrained.
The prices in Europe are usually higher than US... From the link above the only Mountain Hardwear Phantoms I can find are 15 or 32. The Marmot is available here and there, but for £500/€600 over $800!!! The others are hard to find this side of the pond.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:34 pm 

moridinbg wrote:
European climate, which can be very varying. Most of the places I envision going don't usually go much lower than -15C/5F. Budget is definitely constrained.
The prices in Europe are usually higher than US... From the link above the only Mountain Hardwear Phantoms I can find are 15 or 32. The Marmot is available here and there, but for £500/€600 over $800!!! The others are hard to find this side of the pond.

The good news is, that if you take good care of a down bag, it will last a long, long time. So, I would recommend spending what it takes to get what you really need. A Marmot Lithium would be a good lightweight choice. For the temps you mention you should be good with a bag rated to 0 degrees F. Good down comes from Europe, so I suspect you may be able to find better deals on bags from European manufacturers?

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:05 pm 

barrows wrote:
moridinbg wrote:

The good news is, that if you take good care of a down bag, it will last a long, long time. So, I would recommend spending what it takes to get what you really need. A Marmot Lithium would be a good lightweight choice. For the temps you mention you should be good with a bag rated to 0 degrees F. Good down comes from Europe, so I suspect you may be able to find better deals on bags from European manufacturers?

Totally agree with Barrows. Have you looked at Valandre? I have heard good things about their bags, but can't vouch from personal experience.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:25 am 

I'd consider a insulated bag liner also. Personally I like the "Sea To Summit Reactor Thermolite Sleeping Bag Liner". They claim it increases the warmth by +20. It gives your bag a drier, cozier feel.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:47 am 

some answers from an european... valandre ist really good and really expensive, like feathered friends or western mountaineering...

Question is: When do you need it? There ist some outlet sale in Munich every winter where you can get mountain equipment sleeping bags for the half price...

in the german outdoor scene, some polish producers are nowadays quite sucessful, because the products are well made (90% quality compared to top brands), the down is superb, and they are quite a bit cheaper than the top brands and... you can easily adjust your sleeping bag (overfill,take another length..)

check cumulus: http://www.sleepingbags-cumulus.com/dow ... -bags.html

and Yeti: http://www.yeti.com.pl/en/

another superb european brand is exped: www.exped.com

I have a cumulus lite line 300 and used it this summer 3 month in russia and mongolia. No complaints.