Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie with an old school board
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:08 pm 

I've just picked up my first splitboard on craigslist, 1998 Split Decision (actually has a split down the middle!) and I'm trying to figure a couple of things out.

First of all, the puck system seems pretty inflexible, they're screwed directly into the board with no inserts, so if I want to move them around I think I have to screw new holes? It's set for regular foot with a 20-30 degree double forward slant, and I'm goofy foot and like a very slight duck.

Is there a question here or am I just rambling? Does anyone have any experience with drilling new holes? I also thought of just rotating my binding on the "puck plate" (not sure what it is called) but I'm not sure if that'll be very structually sound.

My other question is concerning bindings, this board came with randonee split board bindings, but I"ve always been more comfortable with strap style soft boots. Any opinions on this?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, I'm jazzed to see a growing splitboard community, I've already learned quite a bit from the discussions here.

Post subject: Splittin'
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:12 pm 

Welcome Oshilig!

Took Dishwasher Dave and BCR up LCC on the Alta express bus to surf the Wasatch. Other splitters were there, and two of them had your same "Cloud Board". The Cloud boards are the best touring split out there because of the sidecut on both sides of the planks.

You need new goofy pucks for your stance. Contact Voile, they're $16.00 for the set.

The bindings you're describing that came with the board would be either Mtn plates or Tele plates. The Mtn plates have a toe throw, the tele's have a heel throw.

When mounting the new pucks, (You'll get angle sticker/templates with the goofy pucks) just drill a small pilot hole. Use wood glue (epoxy can damage the core) and screw in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:18 pm 

Thanks for the advice, I took it out today for a short up and down around snoqualmie pass, rides great but my "snake" skins blow! Got to find some real skins for a real tour.

I've got the goofy pucks so I'll install those for next time, what do you use to fill in the old holes? Wood glue too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:39 am 

Oshilig, are you in western Washington? If so I'm north of you and am regularily at Stevens Pass. I've got a set of goofy pucks I'll give you if you can meet me sometime. If you are going to drill for different pucks, I can tell you the drill size after I look at some old directions I've got laying around. Let me know. Also, just send a email to the guys at voile if you have any questions, they are top notch about help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:29 am 

oshilig wrote:
I've got the goofy pucks so I'll install those for next time, what do you use to fill in the old holes? Wood glue too?

I would use a 5 minute epoxy from the hardware store.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:07 pm 

Thanks for all the advice from people. Turns out I do have the goofy pucks, and the templates, but thanks jon dahl for the offer. I am looking for ride partners in the area, I'm in Seattle, I've been to the lifts at Stevens and have heard/seen the backside BC potential. I'll let you know when I'll be up there next, it'd be nice to meet some other splitboard riders in the area.