Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fitwells with Dynafit/Tech toe? Check out the Pic
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:36 am 

https://www.facebook.com/splitboardmag1
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201312541200026&set=a.4322350901460.2153856.1367717151&type=1&theater

From Splitboard Mag's FB page.

A Fitwell BC boot inserted directly into a dynafit toe? Is the boot too soft?

Post subject: Re: Fitwells with Dynafit/Tech toe? Check out the Pic
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:22 am 

They say they'll have a writeup in the next issue.

I would imagine a direct insert is possible in the short term but would wear. And you got to do it exactly in the same spot each time.
More over, what is the advantage here? Certainly not weight. You need to pack your binders. How is that an improvement? Sidehill advantage?

FWIW, some dude modded out his Spantik's w/an actual toe piece.
AFAIK, he never followed up with a long-term durability and functionality review.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:16 pm 

This is a big improvement for soft booters. Now they almost got real hard boots :D*

There are two major improvements - the pivot point is right at the tips of your fingers, which allows for effortless and fluid movement. And, which is maybe even more important, you remove the weight of your bindings in touring mode.

* Do you also get similar remarks from skiers, when they see your split board? "Oh, you almost got skis and stopped being gay!" :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:57 pm 

fitwell are testing this time boots with dynadit bushed - the is correct . not out for 2015/16

bURTON

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:39 am 

Markus, they are NOT even for 2015/2016? Is that correct? Lots of people had their hopes that they may see it for 2014/2015 or maybe 2015/2016...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:38 pm 

moridinbg wrote:
Markus, they are NOT even for 2015/2016? Is that correct? Lots of people had their hopes that they may see it for 2014/2015 or maybe 2015/2016...

As far as I know guys its pretty early days but Roberto has quite deliberately shown these pics to gauge the response from the community and he knows letting the secret out will raise some very useful discussion.

The following comments are my own speculation so take them for what its worth ok.

This is a complex boot to manufacture since its not just popped out of a mould with tech pieces moulded in, it needs a lot of careful human hands on attention while building it, adding a tech toe piece makes the sole and outer boot a lot more complicated so it can take the sideways twisting torques and loads that will be transferred through the tiny toe pieces. So whether it makes the cut for 14/15 I am not sure myself either - it will hit the market only if and when its ready to. I have encouraged Roberto and Luca to develop this boot tech toe-piece modification based on NZ customer requests several months ago and it looks like they were on to it as there was other interest and demand too from elsewhere. I will lobby Fitwell directly as they are a proactive company who listen and adapt so its worth the effort asking.

One thing I have noticed about the Fitwell construction and materials is the durability is impressive. NZ backcountry approaches can involve a lot of rock and moraine bashing and I have seen other boots shredded where the Fitwells hardly get a scratch, so they have proven building techniques and materials choices, from this I have confidence that Fitwell can master this tech piece modification but only time will tell in the end. Any news I will post as I get it ok.

cheers
Rich

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:00 pm 

If Fitwell makes the sole of the boot rigid, especially torsionally, this boot should tour very well indeed with a Dynafit toe piece. And do not discount the advantage of getting the weight of the bindings off of your feet. Ask anyone who uses this system with hard boots, there is a huge advantage of having a lighter set up on your feet.
Of course, you could save even more weight by going with a TLT6, Phantom Bindings, and a Dynafit toe (about 1.2 lbs per foot vs. Karakorams and Fitwells).

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:31 pm 

Not keen on the idea of strapping my fuses to my pack..

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:17 pm 

How exactly do you feel the Fuses help you tour?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:32 pm 

Since that's all I tour on they help quite a bit... My point is they would be bulky to carry. Like many here I would love to try the new systems out there but (1300$) is not worth wiping my ass with right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:42 pm 

Good point on carrying a traditional strap binding in your pack... Another great plus to the Phantom Splitboard Bindings: the bindings themselves are no more bulky then the pair of skins they replace in the pack.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:34 pm 

Bulky - yes, definetly. On the other hand, the common wisdom is that 500g off the feet equals 5kg off the back.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:39 pm 

moridinbg wrote:
Bulky - yes, definetly. On the other hand, the common wisdom is that 500g off the feet equals 5kg off the back.

Absolutely agree with getting the weight off of the board when skinning, hence my use of Dynafit toe pieces and Phantom Bindings. It is just going to be a bit of a pain to fit a pair of Spark or Karakoram strap bindings in the pack.