Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Binding quick releases
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:42 am 

Living in Colorado I give quite a bit of though to avy safetly and response, especially in light of the fatal accidents that occur every year.

I've looked into the jimmy rigged quick releases that can be made and was wondering if anyone is using them or just any thoughts? I use a BCA float as well and obviously the first thing I would grab is the ABS, but I'd like to hear some other thoughts on the matter or any tips from those that use them.

Post subject: Re: Binding quick releases
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:01 pm 

check this thread for some thoughts on the topic.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:38 pm 

Depending on where you are you probably want your board on to edge against the bed surface for as long as you can so more snow gets below you. If slab is too deep or fast for that, hope your air bag doesn't pop and think happy thoughts! Also maybe you might get lucky and get hung up between small trees with a board on? in big open terrain, yeah you'd probably want to dump the board, but you have to dump both feet and I doubt you are getting down to your boots to do it. you'd need a strap up higher that will release both feet easy. Think K2 Qwicker/klicker or a mini airplane seatbelt type buckle on an instep strap (something that breaks out clean, easy and reliably) on a ride contraband (only one strap). Pull strap should go up your legs and cross in between knees or higher. you can velcro strap to pants.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:15 am 

Yeah running different concepts through my head the only effective way would be to rig something in a dual fashion that would be around my waist. Of course if I have two things to pull, the first is going to be the ABS without a doubt.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:16 am 

The only thing that comes to my mind that would be fast enough could be some sort of explosive charges to remove the bindings from the board. You would just have to be careful to not remove your feet from your legs at the same time. I'm thinking patent! Any volunteers for product testing?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:42 am 

I'm thinking detachable robot legs might be the answer I'm looking for. Anyone have experience with those?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:28 am 

This concept is hard to think about while charging a line, then having the snow move under you makes it even more complex to accomplish, similar IMO to an avi lung, great idea and seems smart, but executing these moves to be ready or get ready while in the action are another story. I think I could manage a float type bag fairly well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:38 am 

I'm confident I'd never be able to get both binders undone in a slide and I'm not entirely sure I'd want to.
For example; if there was any chance of digging into the bed surface, or being able to ride off the line.

But I am entertaining the thought of rigging something for getting out of the binders when when stuck in a contorted crash position,
or stuck awkwardly in deep snow (see my comments in the "going solo" thread for an example).

Then again the thought of exploding robot legs kicks total ass :rock:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:04 pm 

Gimmick! Anybody that thinks you could reach down and simply unclip has obviously never actually taken a ride in an avalanche. I unfortunatly have once, and it was a life changing experience. let me tell you when you are in the washing machine getting tumbled out of control at 50 mph you arent gonna be able to grab ahold of anything, especially at your feet. Youll be lucky to breath in anything but snow, getting thrashed and cartwheeled violently and you cant see anything. grabbing onto your airbag or avalung is unlikely...I couldent. It is a helpless out of control feeling gettting slid,and fact of the matter is no jerry rigged thing or strap system is gonna get that board off your back so u dont "sink". Youll never be able to reach it once the carnage starts. And youll have much bigger things to worry about while u are in the washing machine, like "am i gonna get washed into those trees or that boulder field, am i ever gonna see my dog fido again, where is my partner?". All you can instintively do it is try to "swim", its your only survival instinct in that moment. Im all for avalanche safety, and safety devices cause they do save lives...but unfortunatly the best piece of safety gear u have is your brain. Its the only one thats preventative. All the others are responsive (ie. you already f'ed up). If you are resorting to using your "avalanche safety gear" like your airbag, avalung, beacon, shovel, or probe chances are pretty good u are now dealing with the consequences of a mistake.

164 Never Summer Titan with Burton C60's
164 Burton Custom X
163 Never Summer T5 (Frankenboard...its ALIVE!)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:21 pm 

forget the exploding robot legs, how about a jet pack and base jumping chute to bring you back down it only weighs 130 lbs!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E81KQ7u3-7s

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E81KQ7u3-7s[/youtube]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:13 pm 

2 things come to mind when reading this thread. The first thought was back to my full speed cartwheel (without the avalanche) on a run down Mt. Tom at the Eastside splitfest. I heard Jim took a comparable beater the next day. The centrifugal force generated in that cartwheel overcame the force that kept my buckles connected on my pack and threw it off my back. Forget even thinking about trying to reach my waist let alone my bindings!!! Second was the article I read about a small 6" slide Seth Lightcap went through in Japan a couple years back. One of his bindings ripped off and left him strapped in with one foot. That shit ripped his pelvic bone down the middle and if it hadn't been for his other half, he would've bled out on the mountain. There is a link somewhere on here which explained it in more detail with x-rays showing the damage. It's pretty gruesome. I think I'll take my bindings firmly fixed!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:37 pm 

I appreciate all the insight...looks like the best answer is "don't get caught in an avy or tree well".

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:57 pm 

Yes, I would attach the quick-release avalanche string pulls to my bindings. (though would I really have the time?). If attack by the White Dragon (Avalanche), I would try to pull the sting at the same time. If you can do both at the same time.

The reality is that a snowboard is an anchor in an avalanche!

Quote:
A non-releasable snowboard acts like an anchor in a slide and just wants to suck you straight to an icy grave at the bottom of the debris pile
Quoted form BURIED IN TELLURIDE: SNOWBOARDER’S FIRST-HAND ACCOUNT OF OPHIR AVI RESCUE
Posted on May 31st, 2011

See http://www.backcountryaccess.com/2011/0 ... vi-rescue/

This is one reason why I wear hardboots and HB Bindings, so that I can quickly release out of the board.

Even consider tying a string to HB boot bales, like shown on WildSnow.com. See Snowboard Quick Release System see http://www.wildsnow.com/articles/snowboard_quick_release/snowboard_release.html