Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Swallow split?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:56 pm 

What's the advantage of the swallow tail?

I know it floats in powder, but how?

Can it handle anything else besides the pow pow?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:26 am 

I have and use :
POGO 230 split DIY
POGO Winger 205 Titanal split DIY
POGO Winger 205 wood split DIY
POGO Shaman 193 Split

Shaman 193 is mine everyday allrounder board.....it's a superb board!!
Ask to Martin of Pogo if he can make one for you...

Every board with Maruelli binding.

M

TLN wrote:
Hi all.

Sometimes I think about splitboard, couple of my friends have one, and really happy.
I'm a 100kilos 1.95cm tall, 7yrs of experience, softboots, hardboots for carving, so if I'd go for one, this needed to be long and fast. Need regular radius board, Euphoria is not a way to go.
I have(standing next to my wall):
-Donek Incline 180w.
-Winterstick 183
-Rossignol Undertaker 198

What can I consider for my splitboard?
0. Split my Incline. It is quite stiff, so I don't bother about the performance. This is not a swallow, but it makes easier to ride some harder places. I got some doubts, how it will act on a hard pack, when I push it hard.
1. Voile V-tail - $600 for a split looks like a nice price, doesn't it?
2. Prior Swallow - I can go for custom, carbon construction.
3. Anything else? Long and stiff.

I got some doubts how the DIY split will compare to factory splits and how does the Voile compare to Prior? I don't want to spend a tons of a money, because I need a new race board too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:22 am 

Norv wrote:
What's the advantage of the swallow tail?

I know it floats in powder, but how?

Can it handle anything else besides the pow pow?

They look cool :D

Seriously not all swalowtails are created equal, some float better than others. In reality what most swally riders are looking for is a board that planes-out atop the snow, rather than just having the nose 'float'. The premise of the tails is to both sink (raising the nose) but to also to 'not' sink entirely and plane up onto the snow. A bobtail like the Jone's hoovercraft, uses the lack of a tail to raise the nose at the expense of riding nose up and not actually planing out.

The traditional swally, typically has a tall, wide nose with lots of surface area. Once tails do their work the entire board generally planes out on top of the snow, for true float. Additionally those tails make the board ride shorter than its physical dimensions (your only turning the part between the swallow cut and the nose rocker). The tails also aid in turning because they can flex independently. I've ridden my 180 and 195 on groomers and through chunder and they just rip through that stuff. And contrary to misinformation, trees are awesome too. Crust on the other hand is to be avoided at all cost, unless you straghtline it. The ride is like nothing else and its why I ride these boards, but they are not for everyone; being long they can be hell on a steep up track with lots of kick turns and they can go scary fast on th edown. They can get you thorough the flats where lesser boards run out of steam and die

Did I mention they look cool :rock:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:52 am 

MIMI wrote:
I have and use :
POGO 230 split DIY
POGO Winger 205 Titanal split DIY
POGO Winger 205 wood split DIY
POGO Shaman 193 Split

Shaman 193 is mine everyday allrounder board.....it's a superb board!!
Ask to Martin of Pogo if he can make one for you...

Every board with Maruelli binding.

Well, that 2m+ are overkill for me. but Shaman seems cool.
Anyways, I'm not considering spednding 1000Euros+ for another swallowtail. I'd prefer some Pogo alpine deck for that money.

firstlight wrote:
TLN
Apo swallow
I haven't got a split of this but they are STIFF. large radius side cut so these are big mountain boards. I've been on the 205 in hard packed Australian conditions and it flies. You would want this in a un-wooded areas for masssssive carving
V-tail 180 or 190.
I've only got these in stock, brand new.
My first factory split was a Voile 178 swallow.
The nose on it is soft and long so the board rides quite short, a little heavy but the board has sidewalls unlike most Voile swallows.
I have two of these, one blue and white one Blue with flames.

My fav solid swallow is the Taro Tamai Big fish 164. (soft boots)

My fav splits are the Voile 178 and the DIY Winterstick. The Winterstick is only for deep POW (soft boots), the Voile will go anywhere!(hardboots)

If only I didn't have to travel 8000 km to get the Deeeeeeep

I'm making some new boards for Japan soon and sorry to say they wont be Swallows, I've plenty.
Cheers

Well, I was riding recently with a guys on APO. Yep, they proved it's really stiff. I bet I won't have any problems with my 95 kilos and hardbooters experience though. Anyways, I got an Undertaker 198 for that faster carved runs: longer, narrower and black ;)

Quite suprised about winterstick for beeing in a fav list. That's quite special board, and thats so much fun to ride. What if... split mine? Oh, I don't even wanna think of it.

I've decided not to pull a trigger on a split yet. Gotta get myself a new alpine stick, and it seems it will be a late-season-opening here.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:01 am 

firstlight wrote:
TLN
Apo swallow
I haven't got a split of this but they are STIFF. large radius side cut so these are big mountain boards. I've been on the 205 in hard packed Australian conditions and it flies. You would want this in a un-wooded areas for masssssive carving
V-tail 180 or 190.
I've only got these in stock, brand new.
My first factory split was a Voile 178 swallow.
The nose on it is soft and long so the board rides quite short, a little heavy but the board has sidewalls unlike most Voile swallows.
I have two of these, one blue and white one Blue with flames.

My fav solid swallow is the Taro Tamai Big fish 164. (soft boots)

My fav splits are the Voile 178 and the DIY Winterstick. The Winterstick is only for deep POW (soft boots), the Voile will go anywhere!(hardboots)

If only I didn't have to travel 8000 km to get the Deeeeeeep

I'm making some new boards for Japan soon and sorry to say they wont be Swallows, I've plenty.

Cheers

Oh man those Gentem Stick swallows are so much fun. About as close to surfing as it gets. Lighting fast an really surfy.

Video from the PowWow with the Gentem Stick boards in action: http://mtnweekly.com/jackson-hole-powwow

I have been testing the Euphoria split for the past couple weeks, also super fun, hard to get a pair of skins dialed for the width however. And as mentioned earlier swallow tails are great in the deep, not so fun on anything else. Especially icy outruns. Hoping to setup the Euphoria with some noboard pads and make a noboard split here very soon. I'm pretty sure McCarty in Vail has been rocking something similar?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:47 am 

Voile Split Decision and Lib Tech Birdman custom lava lamp swallow by (D-Naz).

I'm 5'8" and 175lbs. You don't have to be 6'5" and weigh 300lbs to ride these boards -when the conditions are right they're like riding magic carpets. Emphasis on magic!!! It may be in my head - but, I don't jive the whole shorter more surface area push.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:19 am 

firstlight wrote:
Don't get me started as well ( some might say I have a problem :scratch: you will see below )

Nothing like standing up straight on both feet while riding the deeeep

Some solids for JPOW

Nice collection. :thumpsup:

I see I'm not the only one with a swallowtail "problem".

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:03 pm 

I see a matrix bamboo in the quiver. My friend recently bought one for cheap, and he says it's really great for him.
But personally I'm still aiming at APO swallow.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:35 pm 

Some Splits I have on me.
More of the addiction shown below
Others are in the shop at the mountains

Cheers

+61 (0)413 888 115
http://www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au http://www.splitfest.com.au http://www.splitfests.com http://www.mrbc.com http://www.backcountryglobal.com
Sydney - Nowra - Jindabyne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:56 pm 

Sweet Swallys......... :thumpsup: Firstlight Nice Retro... :clap:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:42 pm 

Hey Refried, you gonna sell the old blue Nitro back to me?? Glad to see you still have her!