Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: snowshoes for Side country snowboarding Verts?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:38 pm 

I'm heading to Utah at the end of the month I'm bringing my Prior split for majority of the trip but I'm also planning on testing it my new Furberg board too so I want to hit some side country also so I'm looking for some snow shoes. Verts are standing out mostly because of the price and considering I'm only going to be using them sometimes I don't want to invest in snow shoes for 300-400$.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated also any feedback on Verts would be great too.

Thanx

Post subject: Re: snowshoes for Side country snowboarding Verts?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:49 pm 

My understanding from looking at verts and talking with others (I have never used them) is that they are good for going straight up steep lines and not a whole lot else. I might look elsewhere (like your splitboard...) If you are wanting something to cover horizontal distances in unconsolidated snow.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:00 pm 

If the snow is dense you could possibly get away with verts if you center the binding, but not a fabulous idea as the surface area is still considerably smaller than that of regular snow shoes. I am assuming your furberg is a solid in which case you should just rent snowshoes for that. Verts are still a great investment. I have followed vert tracks numberous times climbing steep and deep couloirs and wished I had them myself. Unfortunately for myself...as soon as I finally got them 2 years ago, the weather or my schedule hasn't allowed for their use. :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:25 pm 

Appreciate the info I most likely will pick up a pair I do hear great things about them. I plan on leaving the horizontal distance travel to for the split without a doubt this will be more for the steel ascends and in case the trail off the resort a bit and I gotta climb back up to the top to access a lift of something along those lines. If I need to do anymore distance travel and want to ride my Furberg solid rent proper snowshoes.

Thanx again all

We see how the Furberg 167 does this year if need be I'll pick up a 162 split for more all around backcountry terrain.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:41 pm 

Get the Verts while you can. They come and go in availability. They kick ass. I even have an attachment to use my Karakorams on a pair. Now if I could just mount my K's on my solid board...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:36 pm 

msr ascent snow shoes have heal climbers and come in under 4 lbs. you can find them for around 250.00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:04 pm 

msr ascent snow shoes look sweet but man those sharp points make me nervous when I will have them strapped to my pack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:48 pm 

Why, can you not place them base-base and then strap them to your pack? That's what I did when slow-shoeing w/MSR shoes while toting a solid board.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:19 am 

if you spoon them together with the spikes out its not so bad, or put the bases together keeps the sharp parts hidden.I don't have a pair but my buddy does and he loves them. the atlas 1230 have a really easy binding but they don't compress as tight as the msr. get the lightening ascents for really fast on and off. I really like my atlas 1230 and they are on sale at backcountry for 180.00. super easy binding and nice heal lift. no sharp edges around the perimeter but definitely a wider shoe then then msr. for short 500 ft laps, snowshoes or verts are fun and quick. Looks like the verts now are back with the strap binding so you don't have to take snowboard bindings too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:15 pm 

No snowshoes, just hike, Let someone else set the bootpack for you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:17 pm 

just got a pair of the new verts. Very impressed with them. The strap binding is really easy to put on, no buckles and they performed well on steep and on the flat. first time trying them. they are light and easy, different then snowshoes obviously. Felt like you were just boot packing but not sinking in. Stoked

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:10 pm 

Yeah I got mine in last week the straps that come with them are sweet you can really tighten down the boot. Black and green really stands out too and of course super light can't wait to test them out

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:02 pm 

I mounted some pucks on mine so I can use my bindings