Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: skin's now have wax on em, they screwed now?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:17 pm 

well finally finished my split. took er up for the first time today and holy crap was i amazed. been board'n for 18 years or so and ski'd only 2 times in my whole life (hardly even remember the experience).

so needless to say i've never skin'd up anything. put my skins on and took off everything was fine, when i pulled the skin's off it pulled some wax off my board and now is stuck to the skin's. anyway of removing this? how do i keep for this happening? did i ruin the skin's?

i have sleds and do allot of backcountry but this was almost as cool as snowboarding for my first time i'm in love with the splitty!!!!

thanks for all and any advice

JC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:02 pm 

I think it kind of depends on how much wax you got on them, but most likely it's fine, just try not to let it happen again.

The first time I waxed my split I didn't scrape it as good as I should've and I the skins pulled a little wax off. It hasn't caused any problems yet.

Post subject: Re: skin's now have wax on em, they screwed now?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:01 am 

You can try to take a thick brown paper bag and cut it into strips. Place it on the wax parts and use an iron to melt the wax (but not the glue or the plush), which should be absorbed by the paper. The thick bag is important so that it doesn't get ripped by the skin glue leaving a worse mess than the wax.

I agree with dfinn, a good scrape after waxing is key to preventing this problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:52 pm 

whoa dfinn incline village eh? i did about 4 years of work at good ol' Mt. Rose back in the late 90's, i hear they opened up the chutes finally!! guess i need to make a trip back.

bummer, i scraped like usual but guess i tend to leave a heavy wax on the board to last all day at the resorts, i'll deffinatly be sure to scrape the snot out of it now.

thanks for the tips guys.

JC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:35 pm 

Yeah, Rose is where I have my pass and the chutes are sooo much fun. As long as they are open it's pretty much all I ride. Even when the rest of the mtn is icy or being hammered by wind it stays pretty nice and protected in there.