Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Headlamps for night riding?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:09 pm 

http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-riding/

http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-diy-do-yourself/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:37 pm 

jayb wrote:
I use this badboy. It's 250 lumens and only costs 150 with rechargeable battery. Super bright. I only use the lowest setting for skinning up in the morning and the high setting is bright enough to work for MTB.

http://www.lightandmotion.com/outdoor/solite250.html

Nice. That light looks bright! Have been waiting for the price on super bright LEDS to come down. Battery life looks decent too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:34 pm 

+1 for the trailtech. When riding in trees you need more light than you think, so those small "tent lights" won't do it (imho)

This is from last week, btw:

Scooby2 wrote:
But how fun could this be on those nights when the storms clear out at sunset, just turn on for descent? the Trail tech motorcycle light, probably lights up the whole bowl you are in. should work fine in the cold (it overheats when standing still in warm temps)

http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/Tra ... 135755.htm

I think you'd want the flood and not the beam for seeing all your options. In a prior life I used to take the last run and the run out on the access roads with one of those early petzls ($50) with the largish flat rectangular batteries. It was plenty for the exit trails and stitching turns through the woods and meadows, but you'd probably want more to really open up with if there were rocks, etc. around.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:53 pm 

New toy alert: The mammut X-sun looks sick. MEGA lumens, reasonable price, rechargeable li-ion and battery pack can be worn on head or inside jacket with included extension cord.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:56 am 

I have a BD Storm as my go-to headlamp and I don't know that it would be as bright as I would want if I intended to rip lines at night. It's plenty bright to move down a trail at walking/skinning pace and to ride carefully but I would keep my riding in check or stick to areas I knew well if it were a night without a moon.

My girlfriend has done some trail running and riding with a magicshine and has nothing but good stuff to say about them. I got a chance to play with one a couple of weeks ago and I'd really like to try getting out in the mountains with one for some night touring.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:09 pm 

Having done a lot of MTB night riding, the faster you go, the brighter the light you need, especially when it's pitch black, when your haulin ass it's easy to out run the light.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:14 pm 

I use this light for early morning approaches/ descents but also for night climbing etc. 500 lumens isn't even close to their brightest light but it totally suffices for my needs. They make a Stella Sport version (shorter cord) which is nice for summer but decreases battery life in the cold during winter. I do however know this light is incredible! The company is very personable and approachable on the phone if you have questions etc. Highly recommend it.

http://www.lightandmotion.com/outdoor/stella500s.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:22 pm 

Santa brought an X-Sun. Pictured here next to a Petzl myo. Guess which one is brighter? The lowest setting on the X-sun is brighter than the highest setting on the Petzl! It's really bright. Rechargeable lithium is a go. Haven't ridden with it yet.**

**Large font looks better on mobile.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:24 pm 

I do a lot of mountain biking at night and these are the best lights I have come across. They do all attachments for helmets too.
http://www.ayup-lights.com/systems/lighting-systems/

Never Summer Snow Trooper 156