Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Phantom Alpha Initial Impressions
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:17 am 

Thinking a vulcanized rubber/metal slot would be the way to go. Would provide some give but a solid feel. Problem right now with implementation of this idea on the TLT is there is not the space to mount that as you would need more plan area than is provided.

I'm hopeful that in the next 5 years, a boot manufacture will want to talk and work on a boot design together. I think the first step would be to have a boot that is for skiers but has some features that are designed to be modified for us splitboarders with factor part replacements/ adjustments. Since the AT splitboard market is so small, I'm doubtful that a dedicated splitboard plastic shell boot would be possible any time soon if ever.

First step is to make sure that the Phantom bindings are the best they can possibly be and hopefully these bindings will create a demand for an equally awesome boot. I'm in it because I want the best gear possible.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:44 am 

You certainly steer with both feet snowboarding. But initiating toe turns I have always been taught is from your front toe pushing down, and heel side is initiated by front toe pulling up. The rear foot is sorta more of a rudder in general terms to pivot, not initiate the turn, that is done from the front foot. I could just be talking out of my ass. I just didn't like the movement as much in the front foot.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:46 pm 

In the first week of January or so I will be posting up a new thread on my mods to the TLT6s. These will apply equally well to the 5s. I'll show pics with the lean plate mod, and how much I cut the cuff, and will probably also be doing some liner comparisons (different liners do make for differences in both weight and flex parameters) between the "CR" liner and the lighter, softer, "CL" liner.
Merry Christmas (and Happy Holidays) everybody!

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:38 am 

I'm not a snowboard instructor so don't listen to my riding techniques.

I still falling leaf through tight chutes :nononno: :lol:

Curious to see the difference between the CR liner and the ......CR liner :scratch: So did you end up getting the euro liner? Im interested in liner options as the tlt5 liners kinda suck.

AS far as splitboard specific hardboots, I actually think its something that will happen in the next couple of years as well. Russman from Karakoram mentioned some things that had my wanting to know more but he was pretty tight lipped on what's up coming for the new year....maybe soon he will spill a couple beans or leak a picture or two. I know they use soft boots but he mentioned some things about hardboots that tells me they are obviously taking note of the HB interest.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:51 am 

ah Eric, thanks, post above edited.

The TLT5 was produced with two liner options. In the US, the pebax cuff "Mountain" model was only sold with the heavier "TFX" liner, and the carbon cuff "Performance" model was sold with the lighter, softer, TF liner.

The TLT6 Mountain pebax cuff boot is only available in the US with the heavier "CR" liner, of course in Europe, one can purchase either the TLT6 Mountain CR or TLT6 Mountain CL.
I have ordered a "CL" liner for my 6s from a European online store, as the CL liner is lighter, softer flexing, and lower. Hopefully I will have it in the first week of January.

The Intuition liners are better, but they do not have a model which is as light and soft flexing as the CL (or last years TF). Both last years TF liner, and this years CL liner are actually made by Palau in France, and these liners are both lighter, and they mold better, than the heavier TFX and CR liners. There is also a very lightweight liner available direct from Palau which looks interesting as well, google up Palau to see that option.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:53 am 

cometogether wrote:
I still falling leaf through tight chutes
Thats good to know, I'll go first :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:26 pm 

oh its ro sham bo if its a hallway, cause the first pass is always the best. :thatrocks:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:52 pm 

I would submit that the person who did the most work on the ascent has the first right of refusal on line choice and order...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:29 pm 

My general rules of thumb is
1) If you broke significantly the most trail, I'll give you first shot down, only fair
2) If we equally did the same, or I really like you or feeling really nice, we can roshambo. I hold a 75% success rate though, in fair warning. :lol:

But, you revoke all rights for first tracks in the future if you side slip any chute or run and make a shit-show out of it. :nononno:

Proper ways to handle first tracks can be found by Skierconqueso here:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=55 ... 6963518138

All fun and games. Just don't side slip my couloir. :P

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:24 am 

Im not super stoked on something that would only allow one clean line through it so you can have those all together!

I like the basic rules barrow stated and that's how I play, just nice to be out shredding. :thatrocks:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:33 pm 

TLT6 MOD thread in boots:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16393

I am not really in favor of damping forward flex via the lean mech, to my mind there is not really enough room there to make something effective. I prefer to have the boot tongue and cuff buckle tension control the resistance to forward flex. The TLT6 comes with two optional tongues vs the 5s one tongue. One is stiff like the one supplied with the 5, and the other is much softer. I know some splitters on TLT6 are using the soft optional tongue for power toeside, something to consider.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:22 pm 

summersgone wrote:
But, you revoke all rights for first tracks in the future if you side slip any chute or run and make a shit-show out of it.

Or butt-check the LZ of any jump or drop

RE: "All fun and games. Just don't side slip my couloir."
My Wife: The Skier wrote:
Thanks for shaving the mountain asshole!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:23 pm 

Do you want to go first so that your buddies can ski down (rather than up) to you through the avi debri or last so that potentially you avoid being the guinne pig for the run?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next