Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Are you in-favor a Waxless Split-Ski Base as I have describe?
Poll ended at Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:59 pm
Yes 60%  60%  [ 9 ]
No 40%  40%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 15
 Post subject: Waxless Base Splitboard
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:59 pm 

Looking at the waxless Voile Vector BC AT Ski at the local Mtn shop. I laid the ski on top of a splitboard-ski (split-ski) and had a-ha :idea: moment.

What if a splitboard manufacture could offer a waxless base? A waxless base inset into the split-ski:

Waxless base specs :
[*]Length: between the touring post (or the front binding) and the heel lifter or rear binding).
[*] Width: 5 to 10 cm in from the edges. so as not to impede the speed while carving or skating on a split-ski. This would also allow the skin to maintain a seal next to the edges.

[*]camber between the bindings.

What I am looking for is a waxless base that will allow to split-tour over rolling terrain. Not for climbing up a steep slope. Just enough waxless base to maintain forward momentum touring up and down a slight grade. By down a slight grade, I mean wear my split-skins do not glide down the fire road (snowmobile road) or trail and it is not steep enough to split-ski out (maintain momentum) with-out skins. Hence on a long split-tour; it a real slog!

Voile cutout base of their Voile Vector BC AT Ski and inset a waxless base So there is no reason this could not be down for a splitboard.

Are you in-favor a Waxless Split-Ski Base as I have describe in this thread.

Post subject: Re: Waxless Base Splitboard
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:23 pm 

Call has already been made to Voile,waiting on an answer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:56 pm 

Yup I'd be into it. Any issue with skins sticking to those bases because of the texture?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:17 pm 

Wouldn't this eliminate the possibility of riding switch? That is not something I could live with though I'm sure many wouldn't mind it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:53 pm 

Definitely a quiver board.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:54 pm 

I have only heard about the wax less base ski, but I can imagine, that this will hinder speed and glide in plenty situations, where the snow is softer and the board sinks in it. Not only powder, but generally softer snow.
On the other hand it would make for a good touring board for long hikes on mostly flat terrain or harder conditions.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:26 pm 

Quote:
I have only heard about the wax less base ski, but I can imagine, that this will hinder speed and glide in plenty situations, where the snow is softer and the board sinks in it. Not only powder, but generally softer snow.

I do not think what I am proposing as a waxless base will hinder speed in softer snow. What I am looking for is a minimum of a waxless base to maintain forward momentum in rolling terrain. hence a inset waxless base with a waxless pocket just under the foot and 10 cm less than the width of the split-ski.

This is where a split-board company (who has resources) could test such a split-board so as to find the sweet-spot and not lose speed in soft-snow.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:19 am 

As someone who used to do a lot of Nordic, there is appeal to this idea! The only issue I would have with it is my switch riding as was previously mentioned. Just a thought here but could something like this be engineered in the form of a type of "skin"? Like a very narrow, slippery skin with just a small amount of traction area under the binding so it glides really well (much better than full skin) Maybe based on the Gecko glueless type skin.... :scratch:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:42 am 

Definitely a quiver board. Might as well make it super light weight while you are at it because it will only fit that genre of buyers. Anyone who has ridden a "fish scaled" base on skis can tell you that there is definitely some drag and it can decrease glide quite a bit depending on the snow conditions.

Sure could set the xc snowboarding world afire :P

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:40 am 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:45 pm 

^^^ :lol: I just laughed so hard there's tears in my eyes!

Back to the OP.
I don't really see it working.
You'll need a double cambered arc under the touring bracket, not just the single arc of a normal cambered board. That way you can achieve the semi-weighted (slide) and fully weighted (grip) flexes necessary; and who knows what that will do for ride quality.

Also, I hate waxless skis. The scales slow me down too much on the downhill and I hate that zipper sound EVERYWHERE I go. Much better to delve into the alchemy of waxes...but not on a snowboard.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:27 pm 

Florinated wax is weird shit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:31 pm 

No scales just magic carpet that springs out of the board