Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Compare Venture Storm 161 to NS Summit 161 for me
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:59 pm 

Due to botched DIY delamination fix last season, my Summit Split has rotted core in the left half :(
The local repair wizards, who regularly fix bent and pulled edges, even snapped boards into safely ridable condition are on the opinion that the rot is too spread to allow for a quality repair and I should scrap the board...
I am totally gutted, as I absolutely love the board.

I am short on money for a new board and the prices that we get on the other side of pond are a little bit different, but I got a very sweet deal on Venture boards.

The Storm looks similler to the Summit due to the taper, but then there are some significant differences. Only half the taper, also the Summit has a very different profile - rocker between bindings, camber between bindings and tips, while the Storm is flat between bindings and has rockers from bindings to tips.
Sidecut is much different as well - 7.88m on Summit and 8.73 on the Storm - almost a meter difference! On the other hand one is blend of several sections with different radii and the other is quadratic (which I assume means quadratic Bezier).

So considering this difference in (estimated) radii, as well as the reduced taper, shouldn't the Storm be noticably harder to initiate turn? This is my biggest concern, as I find the turnability of the Summit just fine and definetly would try to avoid going to harder to turn board... Does the different profile mitigate this?

@barrows, if you pass by, I remeber you rode a wide Storm? Can you compare it to the Prospector - it should be similar to the Summit, but with bigger radius.

Whats with vibrations as well? I very much like the dampening on the Summit and the fact that while soft it is still stable at fast speeds.

I am open to sugestions for Odin as well. I can try a harder board.

Post subject: Re: Compare Venture Storm 161 to NS Summit 161 for me
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:50 pm 

moridinbg wrote:
Due to botched DIY delamination fix last season, my Summit Split has rotted core in the left half :(
The local repair wizards, who regularly fix bent and pulled edges, even snapped boards into safely ridable condition are on the opinion that the rot is too spread to allow for a quality repair and I should scrap the board...
I am totally gutted, as I absolutely love the board.

I am short on money for a new board and the prices that we get on the other side of pond are a little bit different, but I got a very sweet deal on Venture boards.

The Storm looks similler to the Summit due to the taper, but then there are some significant differences. Only half the taper, also the Summit has a very different profile - rocker between bindings, camber between bindings and tips, while the Storm is flat between bindings and has rockers from bindings to tips.
Sidecut is much different as well - 7.88m on Summit and 8.73 on the Storm - almost a meter difference! On the other hand one is blend of several sections with different radii and the other is quadratic (which I assume means quadratic Bezier).

So considering this difference in (estimated) radii, as well as the reduced taper, shouldn't the Storm be noticably harder to initiate turn? This is my biggest concern, as I find the turnability of the Summit just fine and definetly would try to avoid going to harder to turn board... Does the different profile mitigate this?

@barrows, if you pass by, I remeber you rode a wide Storm? Can you compare it to the Prospector - it should be similar to the Summit, but with bigger radius.

Whats with vibrations as well? I very much like the dampening on the Summit and the fact that while soft it is still stable at fast speeds.

I am open to sugestions for Odin as well. I can try a harder board.

I have not ridden a Summit, or the Prospector… yet. Here in Colorado we still have thin early season conditions, and I am hitting rocks every day out. So my Prospector stays fresh in my house for now. My suspicion would be that you will find the Storm to be a little stiffer, more stable, and generally a little burlier than the Summit, as you suspect. But I am only speculating from my experience with the storm and hand flexing the Summit and Prospector a few times…

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:12 pm 

Sorry to hear about your Summit!

If money were not an issue I would choose the Prospector for myself.

On the other hand, I could see myself happy on a Storm too. I'm sure it would ride different from the Prospector but I'd rather be splitting than not :)

Cheers
Ivo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:44 pm 

Some ugly pics:

Underneath my board in the second picture you can see exactly an example of fixed snapped board :shock:

I am waiting on the final judgment after the guys open a little bit more of mine. There is a spark of hope...
If it's too bad to fix for reliable general riding it should be good enough for pow days, where there is not much pressure on the nose. Heck, I may even cut it to a swallowtail.

The location of the damage is very unfortunate. Even if fixed it may require me to change my stance to much wider one....
I am not exactly sure how it happened, as I found out about it while waxing a fews days after my last ride. I ride left foot forward, so it's heel side. I can imagine trying to avoid hitting something by quickly braking and hitting a rock, with my foot acting like a lever, deforming the board.
It didn't delaminate until some more days of riding!

Prospector is out of budget. $999 base price + $100 shipping to Europe + 20% VAT + 3.4% duty. I can't find it with any of the european dealers and it would be 999 Euro anyway... I can get Storm for ~$800, warranty and everything...

Now I must decide if I want 161 or 165 Storm. Or maybe 165/26 Odin?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:49 am 

Go for the Storm, the Odin is surprisingly stiffer, and a more burly board all around. the Storm ail be closer to the Never Summer. Choose the length you prefer… the rocker on the Storm really helps with maneuverability, so you can choose the length which you like.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:43 pm 

While I haven't ridden either of those particular models, I am a fan of both companies, pretty much the only boards I would ever buy due to quality construction. Venture has Storms and Odins from '11/'12 in the Bargain Bin for $626. Don't know what shipping would cost across the pond, but you probably won't find a better deal on a quality stick.