Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fitwell Backcountry
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:16 pm 

barrows wrote:
Mike:

"Jbaysurfer hits the nail on the head. I don't understand why hardbooters have to come in and force feed their straightlegged style on everybody. Sure, I seriously want to give it a try, and I like the idea, but if I can't tweak a huge method or lay out some big stylie heelside slashers, or ride switch, then it ain't snowboarding to me."

Ignorant and derisive statements such as the above are not productive. Please consider re-reading my first post in this thread where I praise the Fitwell for giving soft boot riders a high quality boot choice, hopefully the Fitwell guys will continue to develop their boot and get the weight down.
I will continue to express my position, as long as I read ignorant statements which contain things such as: "straight legged style", because such statements clearly demonstrate a lack of understanding about the flexibility of the set up many hard boot riders here use. Again: my boots flex about the same as one of the stiffer soft boots, like the Malamute, or Driver X. Slashes, boned out methods, laybacks, etc, are all just as possible as with a soft set up. I do not care what people choose to ride, it is snowboarding after all, which should all be about individual expression. What I do care about is dispelling the somewhat pervasive myth propagated by statements such as yours above.
Adiitionally, why should anyone not be able to express their opinion? Russman, who works for Karakoram, often goes into hard boot threads and spreads his opinion in those threads.

Ignorance is bliss eh? Maybe we should have separate forums, which you must log in to with a picture of your footwear. Seriously Barrows, let's take it down a notch. We get it, you like hardboots and long responses on the beach ;) Don't take it so personally, you will never convert everyone to hard boots, and that's ok. We still love ya.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:38 pm 

Hey Mike, no worries man. I guess I am not making my point clearly. I have no intent to convert anyone to hard boots, I could care less, and people should ride what they like, and how they like. As I said previously, this is snowboarding, and the beauty of the sport to me is individuality, style, and creative expression.
What matters to me is that there are some very vocal riders on these forums spreading mis-information about how hard boot systems ride. I only want to express the truth, for those who might be interested in trying something different-but those people should make their own decisions, based on their own experiences. I just want people to have an open mind, and to accept that a hard boot system need not be compromised in riding performance in any way.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

Post subject: Re: Fitwell USA webpage and online ordering live
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:55 am 
The Fitwell USA webpage and online ordering is live for the Backcountry snowboard boot!
http://www.fitwellboots.com

Todd Anders Johnson
US sales and marketing|Fitwell boots and shoes
PO Box 3068|Breckenridge, CO 80424
todd@fitwellboots.com|www.fitwellsrl.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:24 am 

Whoa :shock: $595 for a BC snowboard boot. That price belongs in the forum shops at Ceasars Palace Las Vegas.. You will find many expensive boots there.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:38 pm 

Haha, usually it's the other way round.
US products - e.g. a MTB frame - being sold in the US for e.g. 2000 USD and in Europe for 2500 EUR...

(in this comparison, the price for the Fitwells is still reasonable)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:45 pm 

aksltxlt wrote:
Whoa :shock: $595 for a BC snowboard boot. That price belongs in the forum shops at Ceasars Palace Las Vegas.. You will find many expensive boots there.

That is a totally fair price. This is not a toy boot mass produced in a massive sneaker factory in Asia, this is a handmade, finely crafted boot, made in Europe. It will likely last as long as three pairs of your typical toy soft snowboard boots.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:06 pm 

I bet these boots would pack out in two seasons of hard riding. $595! I could see that price tag if they came with some special boot crampons or solar powered liner heater

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:13 pm 

aksltxlt wrote:
$595!
Just for comparison...

European Prices:
Burton SLX: 444 EUR = 610 USD
K2 Thraxis: 400 EUR = 550 USD
Burton Driver X: 330 EUR = 455 USD

This is how it is, once a product is being shipped across the Atlanic Ocean...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:07 pm 

aksltxlt wrote:
I bet these boots would pack out in two seasons of hard riding. $595! I could see that price tag if they came with some special boot crampons or solar powered liner heater

Fuck the liners, I'm pretty sure the soles & shell will hold up better than this $600 mass produced POS. The foam compressed and the Vibram lugs fell off my SLX's in less than 2 years. I'll try a crafted boot before I go back to another mass produced shoe Image

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:18 am 

Y'all checked prices on new, high end hardboots lately? These are still $150 cheaper than the tlt6, for reference. Importing items for sale in the US isn't cheap, but Italian craftsmanship is worth it when it comes to boots.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:28 am 

shredgnar wrote:
but Italian craftsmanship is worth it when it comes to boots.

THIS! Can't speak directly to durability of Fitwell, but all my Scarpa and Sportiva boots have worn extremely well with lots of abuse.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:43 am 

The website needs some work! Someday I would like to own a pair....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:19 am 

Two questions:

Is the newer model's upper laterally stiffer than previously? If so by how much? (I hope not; the rigid lower / flexible upper combo is unique and is ideal for bc riders whose turning body mechanics rely maximal ankle mobility.)

This would in my opinion be the first-ever dedicated, high-function production sb-specific boot if made with walk mode, beveled heels to minimize drag, and a dynafit toe piece. To the Fitwell guys: Can you add those features?

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next