Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: UTAH 2013/2014 Conditions
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:03 pm 

Of the many Stansbury reports I have read through the years, I have surprisingly never heard of someone riding that chute, Logan. It would make a great addition to a Stansbury chutefest.

In other news, I decided to venture out east to Weber Canyon Saturday after seeing that the SNOTELs out there were looking decent. Found sufficient snow car-to-car and some really good 25-30 degree glades. I had never been to the area before and the change of scenery was great. The East Face of the Broads Fork Twins and SE Bowl of Gobblers were very prominent on the horizon. Ski penetration on the up was probably a foot plus in nothing but facets. Facets facets facets. So many facets.

The one pic of the day, from Joel. I need to get a camera.

Sunday a couple of us left White Pine TH looking for more untracked facet farm turns and found them in abundance. No wind affect whatsoever where we rode below 9600' in moderately spaced trees. The last two storms have been very good to White Pine/Red Pine/Maybird as the snow depths are decent and the exit is way better than my last trip up there Thanksgiving weekend.

There is finally snow on the horizon, as it looks like a weak frontal band will bring some snow down to the valley Thursday. Then the weekend has a storm with some promise in the GFS. We'll see.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:40 pm 

Here's a shot of Jason from over the weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:10 pm 

Anyone care to show a California splitter and an Austrian East Coast skier around on NYE or NYD? If things are touchy, we'll probably end up at the Bird, but would love to skin if anyone feels like being magnanimous and showing us about.

I've done AIARE 2 and can write in complete sentences, the Austrian likes to poke fun at East Coast types, while living the academic's dream of East Coast Ivy League life. We can both ski and board okay ... consult my Innocence Lost TR from last year for credibility. We'd be most grateful ... all I have to offer is a pledge to share the same if anyone is visiting Tahoe, or shit, Oakland for that matter. And maybe I'll shoot a new facebook photo for you.

(I also posted this in "that other forum")

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:56 am 

I spent the day in the snake creek area yesterday. Road NE and SW aspects. Wind damage was everywhere and a little bit of windloading in the NE Bowl. Riding conditions consisted of dense rotten pow with surface facets NE and wet powder SW. SW rode the best but I think I hit it at the perfect time. Breaking trail sucked since the snow was sticking to my skis and skins. We need more snow!

Felt good to be in the sun!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:19 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:18 pm 

got a collapse on the way up and some shooting cracks
slightly nw facing 9600 ft ECT 7 Q1 shear with some energy failing on large grain facets
nice creamy turns still to be had...snow was more stable up here

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:38 pm 

nice to have some new snow...roughly 10+ of new up top with maybe about 6-8 at the trailhead

damp snow with lighter fluff on top, made for some nice turns without bottom feeding, some of the old tracks were barely visible and some spots there were no tracks visible

some moose on the exit out

down lower towards the trail head the snow was really damp hard to keep the nose up especially through the brushy areas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:50 am 

Hey Schrap, if i'm not working those days i'll be touring and happy to show you guys around. we are finally getting some snow so hopefully some of our rocks and bushes will get covered by then.

SchralphMacchio wrote:
Anyone care to show a California splitter and an Austrian East Coast skier around on NYE or NYD? If things are touchy, we'll probably end up at the Bird, but would love to skin if anyone feels like being magnanimous and showing us about.

I've done AIARE 2 and can write in complete sentences, the Austrian likes to poke fun at East Coast types, while living the academic's dream of East Coast Ivy League life. We can both ski and board okay ... consult my Innocence Lost TR from last year for credibility. We'd be most grateful ... all I have to offer is a pledge to share the same if anyone is visiting Tahoe, or shit, Oakland for that matter. And maybe I'll shoot a new facebook photo for you.

(I also posted this in "that other forum")

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:00 pm 

Splitmania...Logging some days before heading home over the x-mas holidays, which most likely involves eating and watching TV...but I will be able to catch up on all my favorite shows like Mythbusters, Pawn Stars, Storage Wars, Overhaulin etc.

Beautiful Day...Snow was pretty epic, right side up with super low density fluff on top...Better than yesterdays

too good to be true? observed a right side up snowpack in my pit, dirt layer with facets was not nearly as weak compared to other areas, seemed to be gaining strength...but I'm still skeptical would've liked to dig a few more pits...no instabilities observed
probably the deepest pit I've dug all year...im guessing you would see different results depending on the depth of snow???shallower areas on the same aspect may not be as stable :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: ???

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:58 am 

Hey Schralp and any other splitters for that matter,

A buddy and I are having a nye party in the avenues and everyone is welcome. He and I are heading north to alaska this winter so this will also be a going away party. There will be plenty of other backcountry splitters and skiers if you're still looking for some partners in the area.

Also, if anyone has connections in wyoming, montana, Bc, washington or Ak, I'd love to get out for some laps. Just figured I'd put it out there. Thanks!

For directions, hit me (james) up at 614.425.1240

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:12 pm 

take 'er easy...Merry Christmas!
Snurfer
Buckchow
Buckchow
WasatchSurf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:45 pm 

nice guys, happy holidays all around... sweet shots!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:02 am 

nice shots dave! fun tour, it's starting to feel like winter up there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 24  Next