Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UTAH---Pheiferhorn Beta---
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:32 pm 

Hey guys,
I need your help, I am setting up a Pheiferhorn trip this spring/ late winter and I would really appreciate some beta to others who have climbed/splitboarded the peak before.

From what I have learned, the most common ski/split route starts at the whitepine trailhead and contiues all the way to whitepine lake, then head west past Red & White Baldy towards the north ridge of the Peak. Then snow climbing up the North ridge to the summit.

Descending the route you climbed except that you ski out of Maybird instead of back into the top of the Whitepine basin.

I am not opposed to other routes though.

I have some expirience with snow climbing, and other aspects of alpine climbing, but I haven't done any real climbs in the winter, let alone on a splitboard. I was planning on doing the route in one day.

Anyways, what would/did you do? What gear did you take?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. :D

Burton Freebird/spark blazes/ burton ruler boots

Post subject: Re: UTAH---Pheiferhorn Beta---
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:15 pm 

I think you mean redpine drainage, that would be the most common route. The whitepine route you describe is off so you might want to check your sources. Some guys go Maybird so you can skip the knife ridge, but you end up having your left ski uphill for 5 hrs straight, I've gotten cramps in the quad everytime. I prefer the redpine route with the bonus knife ridge. The climb is commiting looking for the first time but it's pretty mellow. From the top you got the NW couloir, downclimb, or find a line down the Wface. I feel more comfortable on my board so I've always taken the Wface rather than the downclimb and have always headed towards bell's or dropped into Upper Hogum. You could wrap back around and drop into Maybird as well. So many options you should really hit us all back up in the spring. Try to check out the Utah Current Conditions thread if your not already, so much beta in just looking at the pictures. It's cool your setting goals and creating a plan. Here's a sick throwback picture of Myself, Chris Coulter, Forrest Shearer and Tony Pavlantos after we summited the Phief and dropped into Upper Hogum.
Make sure to check out the Current Conditions Thread when you get a chance! Take care.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:12 pm 

Thanks! I am really not very experienced when it comes to larger tours like the Pheiderhorn, so I definitely appreciate all the support and beta.

Redpine defiantly sounds like the better option. Glad I posted and asked.

P.S. I have been meaning to drop in and post a bit on the conditions thread, I have learned a lot from it but I am certainly not an avy-wiz... I will try and get a post on there soon :headbang:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:03 pm 

The insane way...

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/show ... efferhorn-)?highlight=plinko

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:03 am 

If you wait for a corn cycle, get an early start, and are up for another long climb, firing a run down the S Facing side of Pfeifferhorn into AF canyon and then climbing back up for a N facing exit run is about as good as it gets. Bring plenty of water. Whippets and crampons can be nice for the final summit climb in hard conditions.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:28 am 

I do this tour at least once a year in the spring, typically looks like:

1. Start at White Pine trailhead, tour up through Red Pine and over Redbird Point to the ridge.
2. Head up to the top of the Pheif, I see a lot of people in full mountaineering gear but I never found it that sketch (I have zero climbing background as well)
3. I usually downclimb a bit(don't judge me!) and then ski south down into AF canyon. Make sure to scope your line from the ridge before hiking up there are a few rock bands you want to avoid. The riding will go windjacked -> icy -> amazing corn -> shallow, isothermal crap.
4. Head up AF and gain the saddle looking down into Red Pine.
5. Hopefully, you have some gas left in the tank and hit an easy booter up to the south shoulder of White Baldy. If you do this, put in the skinner from AF a little higher up the ridge from the saddle to avoid scrambling around some big rocks between the saddle and White Baldy.
6. There is a good line facing SW coming off of White Baldy back down to AF canyon that should be starting to soften a bit. Very nice but make sure you pick your line while hiking up the drainage as it varies year to year.
7. Head back up to the saddle... but if you have gas in the tank... use your existing booter up to the top of White again.
8. Follow the ridge past the peak(hiking N) and take a due W facing line down into Red Pine for a sweet home run shot.
9. ...but if you have gas left in the tank... head up the W side of Lake Peak from Red Pine and then hit the N couloir into White Pine. From there you have an easy ride back to the car. Timing on this can get tricky, you want to be heading up towards Lake peak before the W face is soggy. Typically, if the W face is okay you should be alright coming off of Lake for N or possible E couloirs.

If you can manage to time it okay you should be able to hit everything above as it's starting to soften up. I don't get it to work for me every time but manage to find success more often than not, the trick is being in good enough shape that you can hit the gas pedal if it starts warming faster than expected. However, the weather can be hard to predict so you may want to have alternate plans based on it being too cold/hot.

I usually get a 7:00 start from White Pine which has always given me plenty of time before things start warming up but you will want to do some practice runs to figure out your speed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:14 pm 

To clarify I think the above two posts meant to say they drop off the south side of the Pfeifferhorn into the Dry Creek drainage, not American Fork (AF). One has to be dropping SE off White Baldy to get into AF. But I agree with Wasatch Don, full mountaineering gear can be overkill depending on your tolerance. The E ridge of the Pfeiff is often doable without crampons, axe, or Whippets. Riding back down the E Ridge before hooking a left into upper Maybird is a fun descent too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:30 pm 

mej wrote:
To clarify I think the above two posts meant to say they drop off the south side of the Pfeifferhorn into the Dry Creek drainage, not American Fork (AF). One has to be dropping SE off White Baldy to get into AF. But I agree with Wasatch Don, full mountaineering gear can be overkill depending on your tolerance. The E ridge of the Pfeiff is often doable without crampons, axe, or Whippets. Riding back down the E Ridge before hooking a left into upper Maybird is a fun descent too.

mej is correct, that is Dry Creek. I just checked a map and I've been wrong for years, thanks mej!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:19 pm 

Thanks for all the info guys! Good to know that full-on mountaineering gear could be overkill, Sometimes I can be kind of a gear whore... Maybe just a light piolet then?

I would prefer to make my final descent into LCC (to the north) because I live pretty much at the base of the canyon, and I hate any sort of bushwhacking.