Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Northern Vermont '13-'14
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:02 pm 

Looking better, keep it coming! I need to make the decision on Sunday whether to bring the split or not, so I'll be watching this storm closely!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:09 am 

I'm coming out to NY for christmas to visit with my wife's family. My brother is on the east coast and is planing on picking me up (rescue me from bad music and drunk in-laws). We're planing to head up to New Hampshire and Vermont to explore for some early season splitting. My bro is just getting his board and gear together for the trip I'm sending mine in the mail :shock: .

Can any of you recommend some zones for exploration neither of us has boarded in this area (i've got about six years experience poking around in Arizona and New Mexico. If any of you easterners wouldn't mind showing us around that would be great as well. I talked to New Hampshire transplant/ski patroller (gnarly old dude) at the local hill he mentioned all sorts of old retired resorts and i forgot every one :).

Be up there from the 26th-29th pm me or whatever is done... thanks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:51 pm 

For closed ski areas, http://www.nelsap.org/ is your guide. Hopefully we'll get another storm after this one that's rolling through tomorrow. Still need a bit more of a base before the trees will be good to go.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:20 pm 

holy crap thats alot of former ski hills, cool..

now i got some homework...
most of these hills are tiny

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:57 am 

Is anybody familiar with the conditions at Ascutney right now? Could be tasty after the clipper today, but it would be nice to have a report before making the drive.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:22 pm 

Looking at the map makes me realize why this is called New England, Ascutuny? Bromley, Straton, Tenney. Very white sounding (don't mean to be racists). Interesting country and it looks like you guys are getting some pow coming your way.

I've scoped out several resorts that allow hiking; Bromley, Jay Peak and Magic mountain (what a concept) wish the folks at the local bowl would figure that one out. My bro has some hikes up his sleeve and a New England bc book to read on the drive up. Shoot me a pm if you don't mind showing a couple of dirt bag bros around.

Looking forward to seeing some new country.. Peace from dry ass AZ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:45 am 

Hey guys, I'm looking to get out Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Is anybody in any need of partners? I'm hoping to get in a good day of turns somewhere (recommendations would be helpful)!

Also, for those of you still looking for closed slopes to ride. Wilderness and Timberline are still closed at Bolton and It has been pretty fantastic. Definitely work a post work/early morning lap. There was another couple of inches up there this morning.

-Alex

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:37 pm 

I'd be up to get out. What are the options aside from closed resorts with only 24" of base? Isn't there some rain coming in?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:25 am 

Rode Jay Peak last Sunday, they've had lots of snow so far this year......that being said, glades were good but the actual woods we got into were worth getting into if you don't mind getting hung up in under brush and banging up your board on rocks.

Been riding Killington on Tuesdays since the week before Halloween and they've done a good job of blowing snow and almost every week there's a closed trail with some natural snow on it worth poaching. Got into some glades we have built into a hill near my house in southern NH Weds after the new snow and it was good but only because we have it cleaned up pretty well and it's low angle.

The only time on the splitboard has been early morning hikes at Crotched mountain because it's a 20 min drive and they don't care if you hike it, plus I don't feel like banging that board up just yet.

The weather this weekend will be a big factor in what's worth hiking for. Good luck and let's pray this rain doesn't hit.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:25 pm 

Pretty miserable outside with the sleet and ice and all. Here's to keeping your power in the champlain valley! :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:07 pm 

So how bad is it in the mountains right now? There's been a solid layer of ice on everything in Burlington for the past few days.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:35 am 

Making lemons out of lemonade... Got some soft turns and snowflakes on the closed wilderness slope at Bolton. High angle stuff was a no go but we found some great fluff down low to enjoy while vacationers scraped ice.

Jan back on the split after two months of nursing an ankle injury. By the way, Vermont chics are tough.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:47 pm 

Some storms coming in. Looks like Southern VT will get hit harder than North. Anyone want to check out the Thunderbolt Ski Trail?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next