Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Soft boots with walk mode: Do they exist?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:20 pm 

shredgnar wrote:
I can honestly say that I have never needed a walk mode in my boots.

+ another 1.

I never even thought of it being an issue until reading this thread. And I've been doing multi-mile "Teton style" (i.e. in boots) approaches for years now. Maybe us folks are just blessed w/ good foot/lower limb anatomy?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:17 pm 

You get used to it. But you could get used to being in prison, as well. This doesn't mean that there is no world outside.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:40 pm 

I have been riding soft bots in the BC for more than 20 years and never thought much of it until i tried the TLT5s lately. believe me, it is a very nice feature to have. I wouldnt knock it till you try it

Phantom Alpha's w TLT5s
DIY 168 Skynk Ape, RC
Lib Tech T.Rice 164.5
Spark R&D Afterburner tesla'

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:54 am 

That's right, Travis. It's a nice feature that makes a huge difference. The opinions that count here are from those who know that difference.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:05 am 

Taylor wrote:
That's right, Travis. It's a nice feature that makes a huge difference. The opinions that count here are from those who know that difference.

I have owned Tele and AT boots with walk modes for years so yes, I know the difference. Yes, it helps in hard plastic, but in a softboot I feel very little resistance when my highback is set back. Snowboard boots have much less forward lean than ski boots to begin with so there is less need for the reclined position.

I think that it's unnecessary and just asking for something to break. Look how long it too ski boot companies to get it right, hint: they still haven't. They break all the time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:09 am 

Okay, fair enough. Shredgnar opposes this innovation.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:15 am 

shredgnar wrote:
I have owned Tele and AT boots with walk modes for years so yes, I know the difference.

Not the same as the TLT 5 though. :poke:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:19 am 

So this is a thread about hardbooters who want to tell softbooters that they need a walk mode. Gotcha.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:00 am 

shredgnar wrote:
So this is a thread about hardbooters who want to tell softbooters that they need a walk mode. Gotcha.

Nobody is telling you that you need a walk mode or that you should ride or need this or that gear. Those choices are yours to make, obviously; to each their own.

This is a forum posted by a softbooter (me, and I bet my boots are softer than yours) about whether softboots with walk mode exist and (it follows), if they don't exist, how that might be done. Since you have established (and I think everyone gladly accepts) that you oppose the idea, perhaps you can move on to other parts of your day. That would allow those who like the idea to focus on how such innovation might be done, rather than discussing uselessly whether or not it's a good idea.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:28 pm 

Sort of a nuanced point but I think it is important to recognize there is a huge range of soft boots. Floppy old softies wouldn't benefit as much from the proposed walk mode as a super stiff soft boot (especially, I think if that stiff boot has a stiff real vibram sole).

I have generally found my soft boots to be pretty damn comfy but on multi-day tours I have found that the built in forward lean was sorta uncomfortable towards the end of the day. When I "upgraded" to new stiff soft boots with a real vibram sole (although they climbed like mofos) I found that they were less comfy on big long multi day trips and that the built in forward lean was especially uncomfortable.

The rear-ward range of modern AT boots is truly remarkable and demonstrably better than any soft boot but I think only offers a minimal improvement in comfort and efficiency over a broken down soft boot. That said, for me, this rear-ward range does offer significant efficiency and comfort improvements versus a modern stiff/mountaineering sole soft boot especially on longer trips and on bigger days.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:17 pm 

Been meaning to post in this thread as a soft booter who likes long tours but who has 'bad' feet/foot pain. I'd definitely benefit from a simple walk mode, since I need the support of a stiff boot with a stiff sole for the support it offers, but prefer soft boots.

I had a deeluxe spark boot blow up, so i cut it up to see if you could make it more 'walk friendly', and the stiff forward lean is of course maintained by a thick piece of plastic that runs along the spine of the boot. To me this seems unnecessary and i'd prefer to just rely upon the highback for the forward lean for the ride down.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:29 am 

How does the cut up Spark boot feel when you're riding?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:36 am 

Perhaps just a soft boot with no lean and a section cut to midway down the back of the boot. A strap or buckle could stiffen for the down hill. This could be a diy on an old pair of softies..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next