Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ANOTHER Jones QC question/issue
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:40 pm 

I recently scored a decent deal on a factory-defected 2012 Solution. The defect doesn't seem like a huge deal and it seemed like a low-cost way to check his product out.

The defect is that 1 of the metal pieces capping the nose of the skis (the right ski in this case) is missing, meaning there's exposed edge and an abrupt edge on the base. And obviously a nice route for moisture into the core. I can post images but it's kind of a pain so I'll refrain unless someone needs it for clarification.

Any ideas on the best way to fix this? Anyone experienced this issue? I contacted Jones to see if they would send me the part, otherwise it might turn into an amateur-hour epoxied mess...

Post subject: Re: ANOTHER Jones QC question/issue
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:56 am 

I would (and have with similar issues) create a form with masking tape and pour Gflex in the void. Let it cure and sand it flush, a dremel tool with a sanding drum on it works well for shaping the cured epoxy. My :twocents: hope it helps.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:00 am 

There is always the do nothing option. It was a cheap board yeah? Ride it for awhile. If the base starts to delam or the edge starts to peel off then you could do a glue and clamp at that time. I wouldn't worry about it until that happens. Even if water gets to the core you still get several seasons on a functional deck.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:39 am 

what Matt Wood said, but use wide, clear packing tape and maybe cut up some fiberglass fabric into 1/8th ish strands and mix that in (after mixing both parts of the epoxy well) until you have a paste, rough up the old surface, fill the void then maybe place the tape over the resin to smooth it out. Do it somewhere nice and warm, then maybe hit it with low heat from a hair dryer after it has set for 10-15 minutes. Sand a bit and enjoy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:04 pm 

nickstayner
Go to your local repair shop and buy some base, cut it our and glue it with the g-flex.
Because its on the nose I would be difficult to fill with resin as it will flow out as the area is a radius not flat.
Or get some thin Al and make a new nose!
I'm shocked Jones would even sell this as a defect! :scratch:
The brand name is worth more than a $100 board sale.

+61 (0)413 888 115
http://www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au http://www.splitfest.com.au http://www.splitfests.com http://www.mrbc.com http://www.backcountryglobal.com
Sydney - Nowra - Jindabyne

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:00 pm 

firstlight wrote:
I'm shocked Jones would even sell this as a defect! :scratch:
The brand name is worth more than a $100 board sale.

I think Jones is smart to sell blems and defect boards. There is a big market for them. Like the OP said it's a chance to check out the board without going broke. It also provides a reasonable entry for someone new to the sport who is put off by the high start up cost. AKA a future customer.

I've had a chance to see a lot of these decks, some have very minor problems and some are FUBAR. They are sold AS IS, no warranty. The slopes at Baker are "littered" with a ton of these Jones/YES/Nidecker problem boards. I think in the end what you have is a bunch of stoked shredders happy to have scored a cheap deck. Is it possible that the "brand name damage" is a form of SB.com myopia? Maybe. I think it's better to sell defect decks than to send them to the landfill.

nickstayner wrote:
otherwise it might turn into an amateur-hour epoxied mess...

Yeah there really isn't a super compelling reason to mess with epoxy in this case. Anytime epoxy can be avoided...avoid it. I rode a hovercraft with a piece of the aluminum tail protector missing just like you describe and the base didn't show signs of delaminating any time soon. I would just ride it and not worry.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:11 pm 

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Some good stuff there. Luckily I have access to a pretty good shop so it'll be fun to play with. I didn't spend a great deal on it and am psyched just to see how it rides.

FWIW, I did contact Jones and apparently they have none of those aluminum tip/tail pieces left and that they "would be very difficult to replace" even if they did... :scratch:

firstlight: I didn't buy the board directly from Jones. I bought it from an individual seller online. I would applaud Jones if they did sell these defects though. Like powslash, I've also seen a handful of them around, none with anything major, mostly like mine. I think it's a rad way to score a deal on a new split, especially if you want to try out a new manufacturer/design/etc... w/out dropping retail (who does that anyway though?).

powslash wrote:

Yeah there really isn't a super compelling reason to mess with epoxy in this case. Anytime epoxy can be avoided...avoid it. I rode a hovercraft with a piece of the aluminum tail protector missing just like you describe and the base didn't show signs of delaminating any time soon. I would just ride it and not worry.

Fair enough. More than anything I worry about the edge snagging on something (lots of thin, rocky couloirs here in MT) and ripping out. as well as the moisture--core issue.