Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Voile Artisan versus G3 Blacksheep
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:09 pm 

Hey guys,

I am currently looking to replace my beloved Voile Mojo RX.
After looking at plenty of splitboards and looking at what's available in the store I work in, I am torn between the G3 blacksheep and the Artisan from Voile. No one owns any of those boards in my surrounding and in the shop I work in...
I intend to use the board for long day/multi-day missions, in various terrains (steep couloirs, riding with skiers, pillow lines, spring crud,...) Price differences are irrelevant in my choice in this case.

I love Voile and their customer service, and the artisan seems to be a revolution in their construction durability (sidewalls and no longer cap construction), and their board was Backcountry's editor choice last year. It also seems to be a very versatile board in terms of terrain capacity. The board design is beautiful too.
What I wonder though, would be the durability of the board. Can anyone attest?

On the G3 side, it seems to be a stiff fully rockered shape, with some taper which is good for steep lines and overall control. The board is incredibly light, but I have been struggling to find any actual review on the board online yet...
Also, I have no clue on the durability of a hybrid sidewall-cap construction, having not owned a board with hybrid sidewall yet.
Has anyone tried the board? Any review?

Both boards look good but I'd be happy to gather a bit more knowledge from actual users of both boards.

Cheers,

Moskitov

Post subject: Re: Voile Artisan versus G3 Blacksheep
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:26 pm 

1 x for the Voile

All my riders have ditched the Jones and gone for these.

Can't comment on G3 as there are no being imported into Australia, but the whole package you get from Voile ( the customer service and reputation) it's a no brainer! the new Voile Artisan are back to camber again so it's a toss up between rocker or camber.

:twocents:

+61 (0)413 888 115
http://www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au http://www.splitfest.com.au http://www.splitfests.com http://www.mrbc.com http://www.backcountryglobal.com
Sydney - Nowra - Jindabyne

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:37 pm 

Personally, I always prefer a board with taper, and I like rocker as well, this would mean the G3 would by my choice out of these two. Knowing that Joey Vosburgh was involved with the development of the G3 gives them some needed cred (being that they are a ski company), and the fact that they have a designer formerly of Option Snowboards helps as well.
I am not a fan of camber between the feet in the backcountry, but of course, this all personal preference.
Durability is not a known factor on the G3s yet...

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:37 am 

Aren't the Voile's like every other twin tip 8m radius boards out there? I'd agree their beautiful and well built but there are 1,455,234 boards out there with the same specs. I rode them when they were Sentury and didn't find their boards that amazing. They are super playful in the pow but they don't like to go fast. They are light though. But no taper, lame halfpipe sidecuts, and hooky noses.

If you're doing lots of mini golf pow lines with airs then I'd want an Artisan, but it sure as hell isnt a big mountain board. I watched a POV of one of the Provos a couple of days ago on steep pow and all I could think of was I bet he misses his old Rossi :P

For what you want it for I'd go G3. After looking at the specs I'm interested in getting a hold of a 162 when one goes on clearance or getting one used. Perfect width, acceptably long sidecut and 8mm of taper with rocker. Looks fun. I'm also interested in the Salomon Rancho!

Lol, funny you mention Option snowboards. My 2nd ever board was a 157 Rob dow pro model way back in '94 when they were still Never snowboards. I did my all time biggest cliff drops on that thing at Squaw that year. (unfortunately my top 5 biggest drops were all in my 2nd year of riding :lol: . I guess I had balls way back then)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:58 pm 

Thanks for your input guys, really appreciate it.

Funny you mention the recent Neil/Ian Provos Bros video, BGnight! When watching that video I was definitely thinking that the board seemed to handle steeps and powerful riding very well! Of course, the level of riding and the feeling he has down a line is far superior to the one I will ever have... :drool:

I also read his very short review on the Artisan here, and it seems like he's very happy overall with it! http://www.backcountry.com/voile-artisan-splitboard

Anyways, seems like both boards are very solid boards, and that it is just a preference in shapes between Full rocker and hybrid Camrock. Knowing this, I think I will still go with the Voile artisan. Although it has less taper, I believe that the effective edge is bigger on the Artisan, which could make it a better board for variable snow conditions (ice, hard snow).

I will post reviews of the board as soon as I get it on the snow! :rock:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:45 pm 

I have a G3 Blacksheep and its one of the better splits that I have been on. It is a lot stiffer then most and rides more like a solid board. I'm 200lbs with gear and it doesn't washout like other boards when riding fast in variable snow, feels like it has a little more backbone. I have about 20 days on it and its holding up fine. The rocker profile also works great skinning, I don't like a lot of rocker for long tours and the G3 doesn't have a big rocker. My first day on the G3 was in super hard snow and I really like the edge hold it has in those conditions.

I don't have more then a few runs on the Artisan and it was at a resort. Unfortunately, the board wasn't set up right and it was hard to get a real feel for it. That said, it still seemed to be a great board, just a little softer.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:44 pm 

Here's the full specs for the G3. For whatever reason, not included amongst the marketing bro speak.... :roll: Interesting board that was on my list, but along with the Odin, got dropped. Still need some camber in my life.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:31 pm 

Oh Wow, Thanks Maniacdave for pulling those numbers up! I did not find it online while trying to compare with the artisan, and I did only compare it by eye in the store, but I'm intrigued by your findings!

I pulled the trigger on an Artisan yesterday evening at the shop after pondering for a long time in my head.. The feeling of a camber underfoot got me in the end, along the beautiful graphics that voile put. Also, my previous experience with Voile was great with the traditional shape of the Mojo RX.
I hope to be able to demo one of those G3s during the season though, I'd be really curious! Next week, I should have a few days to test it on a multi-day trip, hope the conditions will be good! :disco: :disco:

Moskitov

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:18 am 

I just replaced my 2004, 168 BC Prior with the 165 wide Voile Artisan. The shape seemed about right and the price is amazing. I have size 13 feet so the waist width was a huge factor. So far I'm very happy with this board. It's light and poppy, and the nose stays up. I only have about 6 days on it though, so still too soon to know. My only concern is the top sheet seems to get banged up pretty easily but hopefully its just a cosmetic issue. I have looked at the G3 in a shop and was pretty impressed. If they made a wider board I would have considered buying one of those too. Good luck!

Osprey Kode 38 Backpack

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:15 pm 

I wanted to wait until getting about a dozen days on the Artisan in various conditions, before writing a report.
I got the chance to ride the board on steep early season lines, 40-45° tight chutes, pillow lines, open bowls, trees and hardpacked groomers. I was very impressed with the versatility of the board, in all honesty. I am 155 pounds for 5.8, and I am used to stiff solid boards on the longer side: (Nidecker Platinum 163, DC Devun Walsh 2012 157), so I chose the board in 162.
I am sure that a 159 would have been perfect for someone my weight, but I like the stability of a longer board, and a longer effective edge, for steeper lines.

I started riding the board for the first 3-4 tours with my regular bindings mounted on voile rails, while waiting for the new Light Rails to show up.

The board felt light while skinning up, but the reduced surface in contact with the snow forced me to adapt a little my skinning technique compared to the long camber of the mojo RX.

At first, I found the board not very responsive at first at low speed. Everything came back to normal while letting the board track a little more, and committing the board on the line a little more. Then, the board became real fun, responsive and playful. It is definitely a board conceived to be stable at higher speeds compared to the Voile Mojo RX that I was riding before. Less taper, and a more moderate sidecut makes the board very stable at higher speeds.
Don't get me wrong, the board still reacts fine and well at moderate and slower speeds even in deeper snow, but it requires more effort to turn on a dime than it did on the mojo.

The board is also definitely more flexible than the mojo RX, yet it stays tighter together even on hardpacked snow/Ice, rendering the long pin I was using on the Mojo RX between the bindings obsolete. The board rides just like a solid board, even on hard snow. the weight, the shape of the board and the stiffness showed to be great also in very variable and irregular snow, cruising through crud very well. It reminds me in a bit the behavior of my platinum, minus the big camber underfoot (pretty moderate camber on the artisan).

Also, the board's flex on the tail helps a lot on pillow lines and drops. I definitely rode out of a couple of sketchy lines that I wouldn't have even considered dropping with the mojo in these hard early season conditions we are experiencing right now on the canadian west coast...

the new lightrails are great, definitely an improvement compared to the previous generation. Yet the straps could still be made of better plastic quality.

Anyways, just thought I'd put my two cents out here. I am very impressed by the improvements of Voile in their line. I really enjoyed riding the Mojo RX for the last 3 seasons, but the artisan is a fun board, more versatile.

In a few weeks, I should hopefully be able to demo the G3 blacksheep. I'll be happy to post a comparison then!

Cheers,

Moskitov