Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Iceland May 2013: A Spring Splitboarding Adventure
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:49 pm 

The undisputed trip report king. My wife, our 2y/o, and I took advantage of an icelandair deal out of denver a few years back. Absolutely amazing place to visit. Atlhough we didn't bring BC gear we visited many of those same spots. Someday we hope to make it back, but next time ready to hit the snow. Iceland is like Alaska in that when you visit there you feel good realizing we haven't f**ked it all up yet.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:39 pm 

You did it a Again. You ever thought about opening a touring company? I read your TRs and get green with envy. You could make a good living booking these kinds of trips for Bc travelers. Not so much the actual splitting skiing but the logistics and where to go I think you would excellent in that type of service

Thanks again ten thumbs up

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:51 pm 

Stunning photos and an awesome TR!!! Thanks!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:51 pm 

Epic! Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:12 am 

Stumbled upon this and am very thankful I did.

Your TRs inspire time after time!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:05 am 

Unfreakin believable!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:10 pm 

Hey thanks folks for viewing my photos and for your inspirational comments. It’s great to know people appreciate my trip reports. I just want to share the love and splitboard.com provides one the opportunity to do just that.

I remain semi-off-grid and w/o a fancy phone, so my online time is very limited. If anyone ever has questions or comments please be patient for a reply.

Thanks again X’s a zillion to Magnus and the Iceland shred crew for their amazing hospitality and mountain camaraderie. Being able to travel to your secret campsite made for a truly exceptional once in a lifetime trip to Iceland.

Kyle Miller – right back at you kid ; keep slayin it.

Waltzing Matilda; Nice observation (the one about Iceland not being f**ked up, but I’ll humbly accept the ‘undisputed trip report king’ one as well :P ) . Regarding the cultural observation, I will argue that in certain ways Iceland is way less f**ked up than AK. AK has a lot of intact wildness for sure but its cultural trajectory is much darker than that of Iceland. The dominant politic in AK is a classic wild west frontiersman colonial mentality of conquest and entitlement; whereas the folks in Iceland have spent 1,000 years settling into a comparably non-growth and non-conquest oriented mentality. AK material culture is based highly upon mass-importation of resources and upon an unsustainable economic growth mentality. Iceland, being benefitted by its very precious geothermal flow, is more focused on a way of life reliant upon localized sustainability. Don’t get me wrong, Icelanders are very modernized and linked to the global industrial economy. However, in comparison to many other places in the world today, if the world economy continues to falter I believe Iceland is in great shape to weather the storm, and, as a northern-arctic nation, in a much much greater position than Alaska is based upon AK’s current socio-political trajectory. Alaska may very well become increasingly f**ked up, while Iceland will remain stable. That’s how I see it anyways.

Tex and Travis Young- Thanks for the great suggestion. I’ll take these into consideration. I am looking for an escape plan blueprint from the status quo right now and I want to try and put snowboarding to work for me again somehow. Encouraging words are always helpful.

People- you have now seen it- Can you even believe what MagnusIceland’s backyard looks like!???

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:15 pm 

Spectacular ! I have to imagine as great as the pics are they barely do justice to standing in those places & the overwhelming breadth & scope of it all. The potential to explore via kite into the vastness & pick descents as you go is just beyond comprehension. I've made up my mind - its going to happen for me. Thanks Savage! Spectacular is such an understatement.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:37 pm 

Snowsavage, you should have posted that earlier in June.
I visited Iceland in late June and brought my MTB instead of the boards...
There was still plenty of snow left then, splitboarding would have been better than mountain biking at that time.
I heard from locals that it was an above average year for snow.
So much potential for great corn riding and so few people. In two weeks of seeing , walking and riding over mountains i saw only one set of ski tracks in the middle of nowhere in West fjords from a mountain pass. Never felt so alone camping in the Highlands.
I will be back for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:30 pm 

lewmt: for sure, a kiting mission would be super bountiful. I didn't even get into the Interior at all, which is hard to access and rarely done during winter, but there seems to be lots of flat open snowy country in between the mountains and with a kite you could go in deep and have 100s of miles of terrain all to yourself. Glad I got you motivated.

Art: sorry - I had extenuating circumstances and wasn't able get this up right away. I agree that June would have been super good, especially for going after volcanos in the interior. I also agree that there is endless, easy access terrain with hardly a soul riding it. Aside from MagnusIceland and his crew and some observations of tracks around the Troll I didn't see a single track or another skier for 100s and 100s of miles worth of scouting lines. I never made it to West Fjords, but from what I can tell the bulk of the bc riding takes place there and on the Troll. I hope that this TR does not make a bunch of heads go track it all out now....oooooooops.

btw, i once saw some videos of stellar looking single track DH trails somewhere around the Akureyri zone. The trails looked beautiful, fast and clean with skinnys and drops. I would be pretty stoked to have a mountain bike in Iceland. I am interested to hear about what you found.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:31 am 

There has been an increase in the MTB scene here in the last couple of years. Many who do touring in the winter are starting to explore the country on bikes in the off season and some are even going deeper into biking than touring. In the north there is one decent single track but for foreigners that is perhaps not the ideal thing to do since there are single tracks all over the place, although it might be a fun afternoon and hitting the happy hour and pool afterwards.

There are different routes around the highlands and the lowlands that are great x-country trails with some unique landscape so the options are many.

My plan for next summer is to combine a mtb trip with some splitboarding that does however involve a car to haul stuff ahead but there are many areas that are remote and accessible via car but also have nice trails for biking and good terrain to ride.

Since i am a complete novice on a mtb i cannot give detailed info on any hardcore riding but if anyone has any questions regarding my "backyard" do not hesitate to send me a message.

And here is a link to some kiting in the Troll peninsula.

http://icelandpictures.tumblr.com/post/ ... gi-iceland

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:13 pm 

Looks awesome. Killed it....for an old guy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:50 pm 

Cripes! Outstanding! The amount of phenomenal photos is tough to wrap one's head around. Can't imagine trying to process firsthand. Not enough adjectives to do it justice. Fantastic and thank you.