Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Driver x and crampons
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:54 pm 

Anyone had any experience with mounting crampons to a pair of Driver X.

Post subject: Re: Driver x and crampons
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:11 pm 

I've used Kahtoola Microspikes, K-10, and KTS crampons very happily with my DriverX boots. Never had to use full-blown mountaineering crampons.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:26 pm 

Also good luck with the stubai aluminum crampons and size 9.5 driver X's. The soles of the driver x's aren't as stiff as a mountaineering or other hard boot but they do seem to perform better than many softboots out there.

Also, although those aluminum ones have worked for me, I'd probably reccommend a steel crampon if you are a bigger guy (my larger buddy shredded his alu crampons walking on rock for a short little bit) or unsure about fit as it's easier to bend the tabs that go around the heel and toe if they are steel.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:17 pm 

Petzl Vasaks seem to fit my snowboard boots reasonably well. I'd imagine they'd fit the Driver X as well.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:56 pm 

I have a pair of driver x size 11.5 that are two years old. Both the Grivel wide universal and Black Diamond's universal (serac model) have worked well for me. Both are steel crampons and easily fit the boot front and back. My drivers used to be much stiffer in the sole and I even front pointed them without issue. However the boots are now significantly more flexible in the sole and the cramons will pop off if boot is flexed or front pointed. A stiff sole and a crampon that flexes as much as the boot does is desired if you don't want to have issues.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:36 pm 

I have used Black diamond contact straps on my rulers and on my imperials, I haven't climbed anything too serious, but they preformed impressively.

Burton Freebird/spark blazes/ burton ruler boots

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:35 am 

I've used BD Contact strap crampons on my size 10.5 2012 Rulers and found them to be secure but scary narrow. I actually booted out and pulled the teeth out while sidestepping on steep neve a couple of times. I'd suggest a wide version of crampon or realize the limitations.

Regarding the aluminum, they are great for weight and time when you know that you'll only be on snow or you aren't sure if you'll really need them. They are terrible on rock and will wear out really quickly regardless of weight. Crampons are like anything else, one pair can be used for everything but isn't good at anything and if you have the money and the need you'll end up with a quiver.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:40 pm 

Jason4 wrote:
I've used BD Contact strap crampons on my size 10.5 2012 Rulers and found them to be secure but scary narrow.

My Rulers were 8.5's, I suspect that boot size is significant when fitting crampons to snowboard boots.

I have seen people bend the little metal sections that hold the harness system on outward... :? I don't know if I would trust myself to mod my own crampons though...

Burton Freebird/spark blazes/ burton ruler boots

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:13 am 

cameron wrote:
I have a pair of driver x size 11.5 that are two years old. Both the Grivel wide universal and Black Diamond's universal (serac model) have worked well for me. Both are steel crampons and easily fit the boot front and back. My drivers used to be much stiffer in the sole and I even front pointed them without issue. However the boots are now significantly more flexible in the sole and the cramons will pop off if boot is flexed or front pointed. A stiff sole and a crampon that flexes as much as the boot does is desired if you don't want to have issues.

Great info, I have driver x's and this is really useful to know, thanks for that!

P.s. how come no hardbooters have chimed in here? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:41 am 

wasatchfreeride84093 wrote:
I have seen people bend the little metal sections that hold the harness system on outward... :? I don't know if I would trust myself to mod my own crampons though...

My issue with width was in the width between points on the bottom, not with the width of the tabs that center the toe and heel. The sole of my boot was wide enough to hit the neve and lever the points out of the snow. I didn't have any problems with a secure fit on the boots though.

Method wrote:
P.s. how come no hardbooters have chimed in here? :lol:

I have but I didn't want to turn this into another measure of who's harder... :mrgreen:
After my experience trying to keep up with skiers in my Driver's side stepping my way up 3000' of frozen neve I switched to AT boots. Crampon fit is so much better that there really isn't any discussion to be had. The original post wasn't questioning what boots took crampons better though.

My girlfriend has tiny feet and gets a great fit with her softboots and crampons and doesn't have any problem on hard snow. She's already way faster than me so I just let her do her thing. She's rocking a women's Burton boot and also has BD Contact straps.

FWIW my crampon quiver is currently BD Contact straps, Sabertooth automatics, and Grivel G14 automatics. I can mix and match the BDs to get semi-automatics for my mountaineering boots too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:54 pm 

Solid feedback - thanks!!! Can't wait for this season to be rolling full steam.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:22 pm 

My girlfriend just looked over my shoulder and said, "What are these guys crying about, are they climbing waterfall ice? Wear some leather gloves and crank on the straps and they won't fall off."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:45 pm 

Jason4 wrote:
Wear some leather gloves and crank on the straps and they won't fall off."

hahaha, that could be interpreted a few different ways ... not that I know about girls w/ gloves and straps.

Well I don't always wear crampons but when I do

Driver X's plz don't quit me now.