Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Staying Fkexable
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:21 pm 

No, this isnt a post about how to keep in shape for the mountains, but a Trip Report of hatching plans and how they can change

With the traditional four day holiday weekend ahead I started Monday making plans for Friday. Seemed like it was time to head north in search of rideable snow. I mean with 3 free days and the end of november it makes sense Huh?
Well, I rallied the sleepy crew and told them to dust off their gear.
Im famous for shouting out all kinds of Ideas, most of wich never seem to come to full frutation. This holiday will not dissapoint!
Beeing much smarter than me, most of my regular crew told me to "check it out for them" and let them know how it was.
Only Buffy and Mike Melton bit at the call, and both hard dreams of powder too. Plans were made and we were going to assault Bloody. A good choice it semed as that crack loves to pick up blowning snow.
But, I like to gather as much info as I can before I make these hairbrain plans so I thought I would check in with Mammoth resident MaxPower to see what was lurking in the hills.

Max had bad news- not much snow and a lot of wind started to melt out my powder plans. & hours one way is a long way to go for a gamble and Im smarter now than a few seasons ago so I decided I had pulled the trigger too early and I should put this Hall pass back in the envelope and wait for better snow.

But, after seeing the weather forecast iylooked like maybe the San Gabriels could produce some fun. Mike and I hatched out what seemed to be a workable plan to meet up on the 15 north and head towards Baden-Powelll. A nice peak that if the snow is right produce some sweet backcountry turns. I went to sleep knowing I had to cook a bird and then get my gear together for the start of this season. That was last night.Now, here at 11 am once again my plans have done a complete about face. The forecast now calls for no snow, no rain.........but a BIG norhtwest swell coming in late turkey day.
So now, Im staying home to surf and hopefully get siome good areial footage all of this 20 miles from the house.
So, even though I havent driven or skinned, I feel like I have been up and down California this week.

just like last year. I cant wait to see those familiar faces and I promise, next time we will get on snow(maybe)

How much does your final plans change within the week?

Post subject: Re: Staying Fkexable
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:57 pm 

Shoot anymore, seems like they can change en-route or even during a trip if the forecast doesn't deliver. As such I have just taken the approach that I go where I was intending to go (region-wise) and to aid flexibility I just bring a crap-load of other gear to do other outings if things/peeps don't line up. It is not uncommon for me to find myself rolling on the Eastside with my truck loaded with gear for splitting, ice climbing/mountaineering, and hiking/snowshoeing/backpacking. At least then I get to the area I intended, but can always shift plans (without having to make a trip to Mammoth Mountaineering to buy something I already own) at the drop of a hat. :twocents:

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:58 pm 

96avs01 wrote:
Shoot anymore, seems like they can change en-route or even during a trip if the forecast doesn't deliver. As such I have just taken the approach that I go where I was intending to go (region-wise) and to aid flexibility I just bring a crap-load of other gear to do other outings if things/peeps don't line up. It is not uncommon for me to find myself rolling on the Eastside with my truck loaded with gear for splitting, ice climbing/mountaineering, and hiking/snowshoeing/backpacking. At least then I get to the area I intended, but can always shift plans (without having to make a trip to Mammoth Mountaineering to buy something I already own) at the drop of a hat. :twocents:
I'd echo this ^^ and add that as I get older I tend to plan more broadly(loosely); I often find planning sucks the joy out of an experience. I'm not advocating recklessness, but there is much to be said for Naivety and winging it. Most of my best memories were disasters in terms of planning, but they were anything but disappointing. Conversely, rigid objectives can be tedious and generally forgettable. YMMV :twocents:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:50 pm 

This past week my car is stuffed to the gills with my splitboard paraphernalia, two fly rods/waders/boots/packs, climbing gear, and two pairs of running shoes. I can't ever decided what to do. And right now it's possible to go for a little tour in our marginal snow, fish the creek on the way down, and then run in the foothills. I would take a change in the weather right now, but this warm fall weather is making the living pretty easy.