Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pole mod
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:55 pm 

To clean up the outside of the pack I prefer putting my BD Exped poles on the inside. The problem has been that at 64cm they are just a little too long to fit comfortably. So when I broke my second pole earlier this season I was stoked and figured I would make them shorter. It had been bothering me for a while that I never used all the length of the Exped poles. Why carry that extra weight around? Especially if it got in the way of putting the poles in the pack.

Basically I just took them all the way apart and cut several inches off the ends (from the right side of the poles in photo below). I was careful to leave about 5 cms of length beyond what I needed since I think this overlap is necessary for the strenght of the pole.

This is a before shot of the pieces. (the middle section had been broken in a wet snow skin glop wacking accident)

And a shot showing how much length I got rid of, the Leki's are set at 64 cms which is the leng of the BD's before modification. After the hacksaw they measure in around 52 cms.

The only hard part was removing the grip on a pole that was a couple of years old. I eventually tied it to the bumper of my truck and used my gf's subie to pull it off.

I think this mod makes a fair bit of sense for folks under six feet tall, gram counters, and well splitboarders. The flicklock mechanisms work just as well now as before. I am six feet tall and so I could only lose about 12 cms and still have usable pole for the ups, but someone closer to five tall could loose a ton of length/weight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:18 am 

Good idea!

I think ill wait till i breaks em' though.

Post subject: Use for leftover or broken sections
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:23 pm 

Wow. I broke a pole the exact same way (glop). Unfortunately mine broke a little short, but it still works. My friend and I made some snow saws (wish I could figure out how to link pics) but didn't have handles for the saws. I took the extra pole section, and attatched it to the saw. Now the saw has a handle, and I can atattch it to the end of my pole by removing the basket section. This makes a ~4 ft. long snow saw that is indispensable in cutting cornices and rutchblocks. Its a really sweet setup. The long saw seems to work alot better than the probe and rope saw for cutting blocks, although maybe I just haven't perfected that system. Keep on innovating!

Post subject: Re: Pole mod
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:16 pm 

dishwasher-dave wrote:
The only hard part was removing the grip on a pole that was a couple of years old. I eventually tied it to the bumper of my truck and used my gf's subie to pull it off.

I love this. Way to think outside the box! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:09 am 

I have a pair of Leki Bone poles made just for us snowboarders: when retracted they are very compact: I think around 18 inches. Not sure if they still make them.

Post subject: Snow Saws
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:39 am 

Quote:
My friend and I made some snow saws (wish I could figure out how to link pics) but didn't have handles for the saws.

Not to get too off topic, what did you make the saws out of?

Post subject: DIY Snow Saws
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:44 am 

We had the saws fabricated out of aluminum. You take a strip of aluminum, 2" in this case, and drill offset 1/4" holes down the centerline. Cut it in half, and you've got two saws. Hard to explain, I'll see if I can link some pics, or I'll send you an e-mail plan. PM me with an adress if anyone's interested. I think it ended up being less than 10 bucks a saw, and they work awesome.