Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: UTAH 2013/2014 Conditions
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:42 am 

Snurfer wrote:
mej wrote:
For anybody with some time on their hands, the area northeast of Bryce Canyon got 6 inches of snow water equivalent and 50+ inches of snow the last couple days. I bet there is some good red rock riding for the next day or two.
Thought about heading down south yesterday, but opted to get my first turns at Brighton. Might head down around Bryce over the Holiday.

Doug, I didn't think you would be getting out yet due to the thin pack. Should have asked if you wanted to take a walk yesterday in the west desert. Let's get out sometime soon! :guinness:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:49 am 

Yeah, the southern end of the Aquarius Plateau got the most. Neither the La Sals or Abajo's did as well. Not sure about the Henrys, although I doubt they would have been able to wring out as much moisture out as the Aquarius. I think the really big amounts are pretty localized in places that have the best orographic lift for SE flow. Just a little further north on the Aquarius the snow amounts are a two-thirds or less of the southern end. Its going to be so warm today and this week that I fear the window will close real fast on getting good turns down there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:03 am 

Snowvols wrote:
Snurfer wrote:
mej wrote:
For anybody with some time on their hands, the area northeast of Bryce Canyon got 6 inches of snow water equivalent and 50+ inches of snow the last couple days. I bet there is some good red rock riding for the next day or two.
Thought about heading down south yesterday, but opted to get my first turns at Brighton. Might head down around Bryce over the Holiday.

Doug, I didn't think you would be getting out yet due to the thin pack. Should have asked if you wanted to take a walk yesterday in the west desert. Let's get out sometime soon! :guinness:

lets see those photos Logan! i'm bumming that I didn't go with you guys

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:05 am 

Snowvols wrote:
Snurfer wrote:
mej wrote:

Ha, ha, "thin" is being generous :D Seriously, I'm four months on with my hip injury and just now starting to be able to do anything meaningful on the physical spectrum.
Just getting to the top of great western was a lesson in frustration and humility - Def like to get out riding with you as my fitness and the snow pack shape up.

re: heading down south - because of my above mentioned state of fitness this would be more of a road trip / go for a skin walk adventure. Realistically, anything requiring steep or long approaches is simply not an option for me right now :(

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:28 pm 

Doug, I am looking forward to it.

So Thursday there was a good storm that hit the metropolis of Grantsville. As I work out this way I have a unique advantage of being able to keep track of the mountains out here as my office window over looks the twins. I wanted to get out and poke around as the SNOTEL and talking to locals I learned they had the same or more snow than the 'snatch.

The gate is locked at 5800' by the way but you can skin from the car with just a couple of rocky areas. I am sure the warm front this week will bake it all away though.

I want to do a full day of hitting several couloirs back here. Would be a fun day this winter besides the 4 mile skin to the summer trail head. Long boring road skin.

Once we finally got 5.25 miles into our skin, the snow was nice and light. For over a mile on the summer trail was a nightmare. Snow was sticking to the skins and they were so effing heavy. Note to self bring skin wax in pack.

I really love these mountains. Would have been cool to have bagged a big line like this, this early but just means I gotta go back for more.

So I settled for this line.

All and all it was a great day to get out and stretch the legs. Good company with Bucky and Ryan. Thanks guys for going!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:07 pm 

went to patsy marley yesterday. it sucked ass.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm 

Got out yesterday. Beautiful day, snow could best be described as variable to say the least. Sheltered zones had nice recrystalized pow. Ended up riding a fun 800vert Nfacing tree chute and spent most of the day with the skins on exploring. Most aspects I observed had some form of wind effect.
Explosive work at the resort, mostly Efacing I believe.
I've been putting a lot of holes in the ground since November 1st. It's been a big part of my routine, and I've got it down to where it only takes me about 10 minutes to do multiple test but I usually use it as an excuse to sit down and eat/drink. It seems we go through a similar cycle every year so my goal these last few years has been to observe the snowpack the best I can to see how it heals, if it heals and when do we start making conclusions it's safe to ride certain areas, etc. Can you see the pit.
Not positive but I thought this was NEfacing. I was a little surprised to find a pretty stout crust at the dirt layer similar to more E facing aspects I've been digging on. It was a pretty sheltered spot that didn't seem to get much sun. No results on any of the test I did, one column was even sunctioned to the ground. Who knows, only a good load and time will tell I guess.
Take care, happy holidays.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:29 am 

A little obs from the sunny side of the compass. Spent yesterday doing some Runbling (running and scambling) to take stock of what (if any) snow conditions existed on the North side of Big Cottonwood. Elevations of 8000' to 9800' feet. It was mostly clear with temps in the forties with a slight breeze along the ridges.

Sans random patches of frozen snow, south facing is mostly bare up to 9800'. NW through NE aspects are a chaotic meld of loose facets, wind board and weather crusts. Depths rang from 1-3" on scoured ridge tops to drifts of several feet leeward off the highest ridges. Overall what little snowpack exists in this area is too variable to categorize.

A breakable surface crust (mostly wind board) ranging from 1" to 4" exists throughout the area overlying over 4-6" loose facets; with another thinner crust over 3-5" inches of additional facets or ice at the ground. It appeared that well off the ridges, NW held a foot or more of faceted powder worthy of some turns, no doubt deposited from last weeks easterly wind bombardment. I was dressed for scrambling, so I didn't descend too far off the ridge to check it out. Overall I'd say the more protected grassy shots will be quite ride able after this next storm cycle, although approaching and exiting may be less fun.

At the top of the West Desolation ridge there is a rock hard (south facing) cornice of perhaps 3' with the leeward side being wind blown powder and facets. It was very steep in this area and footing was sketchy so I stayed well back from the 50°+ slopes falling away to the north.

Sorry, not so much snow stoke but here is some visual amusement - Cheers!

My objective - looks like someone lost their keys
Easterly's did some damage
Going up
Look back
Rock art
West, North West
It goes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:29 pm 

I had some fun this week on this sheltered NE facing bowl in the snake creek area. Wind damage up high but unmolested snow a few turns below the ridge. About 18 inches of dense creamy consolidated snow. There were maybe 2 to 3 inches of facets at near the ground but they were not as loose and sugary as I've found elsewhere this season. Minimal surface hoar as far as I could tell. Warmer temps might have had something to do with that?

And FWIW, last Sunday I went for as ski-hike up Mineral Fork. Didn't have time to get too high but from the summer trail the drainage looked pretty bony. West aspects were pretty patchy, and east/north had a lot of crap exposed above the snow. Wind and sun sheltered areas did have about 1.5 feet of snow where I poked around.

Does anyone know if/where the Snake Creek summer road closes for the winter?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:46 pm 

the road ends at mill flat out of midway, from there it's just skinning or snowmobiling until about mid-may

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:09 pm 

Snurfer-Awesome photos! glad to see you getting out. Let me know next time you do.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:54 pm 

When you get the hall pass, you gotta go, no matter the conditions. :headbang:

So, by around noon today, I found myself skinning through shin-deep facets at 10000 feet. Hey Mar123 and UTAH, you didn't miss anything.

There's 1-2 feet of snow on the ground on N aspects in the Catherine's/Alta periphery. Here's some familiar territory with a thin, weak, sugary snowpack.

We dug a pit on a NW slope at around 10000 feet. 55cm HS, and it was hard to even stop your columns from crumbling before you finished a test. We did see ECTP24 Q3 in the facets below the October dirt layer. Can't really ignore that: full propagation in basal facets with a storm on the doorstep. This is right around when we saw that failure. You can see the dirt layer in the picture.

Walk on...

Take a peek...

Fast groomers to the car where creamy Sierra Nevada pale ales were waiting... :thumpsup:

Peace!

http://www.splitboardeducationcompany.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:56 pm 

Nice work everyone! I just continue to skin brighton until it snow this week!

Is anyone planning on doing the skimo race Thursday up at Brighton? I think I am but pretty sure I already have last place on lock though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 24  Next